How to record main mix to file?

M/X Air Digital Mixer Series
alefalef

How to record main mix to file?

Post by alefalef »

Hello everyone

Since the XR18 doesn't have an SD card slot for mix recording, I would like to record my mix into DAW (using Reaper).
again, I want Reaper to receive 16 channels as they sound in my ears, e.g. FOH speakers.
when I choose the USB sends to be "Post Fader" I still get only analog sound coming in.
how to make the magic work?

I'm using Mixing Station but I can use X-Air app if its more comfortable to explain

thanks
AA
kmitchell

Re: How to record main mix to file?

Post by kmitchell »

Hi @alefalef Welcome to the forums. From the block diagram in the manual, it looks like Pre-Fader or Post-Fader should both give you what you want.

Can you open X-Air Edit and post a screenshot of the USB Sends tab under In/Out? They should all be set to Post-Fader.

Can you also save and post your scene file so we can have a look at it?
alefalef

Post by alefalef »

sure
Attachments
scene.scn
Current Scene Configuration
(21.34 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
kmitchell

Post by kmitchell »

Those both look like Post-Fader which should work. However, looking at the title again, you said "Main Mix" and in your description you said "in your ears" and "FOH Speakers". That's different from Post-Fader in that it includes the FX Returns, which you have going to your IEM busses and to Main LR.

If you want to record FOH, you need to change your USB sends to include Main LR like this:

I used USB15/16 since you aren't currently using those channels.
alefalef

Post by alefalef »

yep, but in the the way you suggested, it won't record multitrack, but only LR if I get this right.
I want to record the whole 16 inputs with their FX's and adjustments. (what I hear from FOH, but in multitrack)
kmitchell

Post by kmitchell »

You can't multitrack record the FX Returns without giving up input channels because you don't have enough USB Sends.

The XR18 only has 18x USB Sends. Take a look at the labels across the top of the USB Sends tab. Those are all of the possible signals you can connect to a USB Send, but there's only 18x Sends along the Left side of the matrix.
alefalef

Post by alefalef »

kmitchell wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:16 pm You can't multitrack record the FX Returns without giving up input channels because you don't have enough USB Sends.

The XR18 only has 18x USB Sends. Take a look at the labels across the top of the USB Sends tab. Those are all of the possible signals you can connect to a USB Send, but there's only 18x Sends along the Left side of the matrix.
well... that's a real disadvantage!
Can't I just put the circles where the "effect" tab is and then I will able to record with the effect?
Let's say my vocal channels are 6,7,8, so if I will mark USB 6,7,8 under the "effect" header, won't it record it with the effect (in this case it's just a reverb)?
this way:
Last edited by alefalef on Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
kmitchell

Post by kmitchell »

TBH, you're getting into an area I haven't used much so you're going to have to experiment with it. I can tell you for sure that you don't need to send Effect 1 to USB6, 7, and 8 since you'll just get 3x copies of the same signal.

I don't remember what the difference is between FX1L/R, 2L/R, etc. vs Effect1-4.

Also, I don't think recording just the FX Returns will get you the same as recording both the post-fader as well as the FX Return, unless you aren't sending any dry signal to the Main LR mix. Again, get yourself a signal generator app for your phone or tablet and experiment with it.
kmitchell

Post by kmitchell »

Attached is the block diagram for the XR18. The Effect1-4 are the FX Sends going INTO the FX. FX1L/R-FX4L/R are the Stereo FX Returns going to the MAIN LR Mix. Those are what you need to record in order to get the FX signals.
alefalef

Post by alefalef »

kmitchell wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:42 am TBH, you're getting into an area I haven't used much so you're going to have to experiment with it. I can tell you for sure that you don't need to send Effect 1 to USB 6, 7, and 8 since you'll just get 3x copies of the same signal.

I don't remember what the difference is between FX1L/R, 2L/R, etc. vs Effect1-4.

Also, I don't think recording just the FX Returns will get you the same as recording both the post-fader as well as the FX Return, unless you aren't sending any dry signal to the Main LR mix. Again, get yourself a signal generator app for your phone or tablet and experiment with it.
cool thanks for your help.
I think that since FX1L/4 are the inserts If I circle them, they will be heard on the USB output. I'm gonna try that with the FX and the inserts and report back.
Before I chose the XR18, I almost bought the ZOOM L12 which has an SD card that can multitrack record the whole session with it's FX and EQs...
I hope I will figure it out on the XR18.
If it won't be possible, I will just have to consider using the LR and skip the multitrack thing.

thanks anyway for the help

Return to “M/X-Air Digital Mixers”