No vocal effects on powerplay P16M

M/X Air Digital Mixer Series
DarkGrin

No vocal effects on powerplay P16M

Post by DarkGrin »

Hi
I'm fairly new to all this mixing equipment, I have a xair18 and Powerplay P16M
I've figured out how to put effects on vocals FOH but when I use my IEMs with the P16 the vocals have no effects on them.
If I've got the perfect vocal effect mix FOH can I get that sent to the p16? I'm using a reverb in effect 1 and a delay in effect 2
Any help would be appreciated
Thanks
pvannatto

Re: No vocal effects on powerplay P16M

Post by pvannatto »

Hi @DarkGrin, welcome to our forum.
The effects are side-chained (parallel) from the signals to the Main LR. That means that the effects results (wet signal) is returned to the Main LR as a stereo pair channel strips (eg FX1L, FX1R, etc). To send these to the P16, you would need to assign these wet signals on the In/Out Ultranet.

For example, if you want both FX 1 and FX 2 wet signals, you could assign the following:
Output 13 -> FX1L
Output 14 -> FX1R
Output 15 -> FX2L
Output 16 -> FX2R
Then on the P16M, stereo link channels 13/14 and 15/16.
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator
DarkGrin

Post by DarkGrin »

Hi

Thank you so much for answering my question.
I routed the 4 P16 outputs on the mixer as you said for FX1 L, FX1 R, FX2 L & FX2 R. Am I correct in thinking that these need to be set as Prefade so as not to affect FOH sound?

Our set up is:-
Ch.1 - vocal.1.
Ch.2 - guitar.1.
Ch.3 - vocal.2.
Ch.4 - guitar.2.
Ch.5 - vocal.3.
Ch.6 - guitar.3.
Ch.7 - vocal.4.
Ch.8 - bass guitar
Ch.9 - drums
Ch.10 - drums
Ch.11 - drums
Ch.12 - drums

Problem I've got is when I bring my dry signal vocal.1. up on my P16 and then my effects ch.13,14,15,16 I hear the wet signal of every channel that has them effects on.

Then when vocalist.2. connected from my P16 to hers and added effects to her vocals she could also hear the wet signal of my vocals in her ears. If she wanted to turn my vocals off completely in her ears she has to take the effects volumes completely off on her P16 and then she has no effects on her vocals either.

Is there any way around this?

Many thanks
pvannatto

Post by pvannatto »

DarkGrin wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:59 pm Am I correct in thinking that these need to be set as Prefade so as not to affect FOH sound?
Correct
DarkGrin wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:59 pm Is there any way around this?
Using an X18 and P16M, the answer is no. The only way around it is to upgrade to an X32 Rack and DP48. The DP48 has reverb built-in.
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator
kmitchell

Post by kmitchell »

Not sure about others but my experience with vocalists has been that they want to hear dry signals so they can stay on key and in time vs. hearing the FOH mix. A lot of my experience is in theatre with some musicals so it might be different with vocalists in bands.
DarkGrin

Post by DarkGrin »

Thank you for your replies.
Alternatively then, if I used a wired system to my IEMs from one of the 6 AUX outs, again do I just get dry signal or can I mix some effects onto my vocals for in my ears?
pvannatto

Post by pvannatto »

DarkGrin wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:30 pm if I used a wired system to my IEMs from one of the 6 AUX outs, again do I just get dry signal or can I mix some effects onto my vocals
Yes you can send the FX returns to that mix, just like you would send any channel strip. That way you can adjust how much of the wet signals you want in your mix.
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator
DarkGrin

Post by DarkGrin »

Hi
Thanks for all your help.
Much appreciated.

Return to “M/X-Air Digital Mixers”