Maximizing FX flexibility with minimal bus usage

thegeorgedougherty

Maximizing FX flexibility with minimal bus usage

Post by thegeorgedougherty »

Since we have to build our own FX routing, I've played with multiple send/return strategies.

Where I need maximum mixbus counts for monitors, I've used Main 1/2 for FOH and Subs and Main 3/4 as Lead Vocal Fx and Bg Vocal Fx. Mixbus 15/16 serve as Instrument and Drum reverb sends.

For continuity and where I can live with 12 or fewer monitor buses plus subgroups for vocals and instruments, I use Mixbus 13-16 for Lead Fx, Bg Fx, Instument Fx, and Drum Fx.

To maximize flexibility on the Lead vocal Fx, Aux 1-4 input source is the mixbus or main used for the Lead vocal Fx send. I patch Fx units on each of the auxes. User layer 1 on the right fader bank gets Aux 1-4 and I can easily blend Fx on the lead vocal live. I setup the User Controls to adjust decays or delay times on knobs and tap tempo on buttons.
If I have plenty of open auxes I like to return the Bg vocal to an aux channel for continuity and flexibility so I can mute either the send or the return.

In both cases, I patch Fx units on mixbus 15 and 16 and route them to Main 1 to conserve auxes.
KMaxwell

Re: Maximizing FX flexibility with minimal bus usage

Post by KMaxwell »

My personal opinion is doing anything more than 8 monitor mixes from the FOH console is too many to be able to handle well. And if the show requires more than that it really needs a separate monitor console. I really like to keep it to 6 at the most from FOH. If the monitors are on IEMs I feel that the band should have their own IEM mixer on stage and be controlling their IEM mixes themselves. I love it when a band shows up with that kind of setup and they have their own split.

If you are already submixing as you seem to indicate I would be feeding those submixes to the Matrix outputs and possible free up some more things. I use the Mains 1-4 as my effect sends, inserting the FX post fader. And I use Aux 5-8 as the returns using the M1 –M4 as the source for those Aux channels. I use a bunch of Mix Bus(es) as variable sub group sends. And I then send those Mix Bus sends to the Matrix.

This is just a suggestion, if what you are doing it working for you then keep on doing it. What I have written above if just another way to do things.
thegeorgedougherty

Re: Maximizing FX flexibility with minimal bus usage

Post by thegeorgedougherty »

Noting in response that I'm using the Mains in the way I noted in the other thread about HOW or Live/Broadcast routing. I only use the mains 3/4 for Fx when I'm the dedicated monitor engineer and I'm working with a large band.

I'm with you on actively mixed monitor routing. I only use that many monitors when I know the band and we're on IEM's. I babysit 2-3 wedge mixes plus maybe 1-2 IEM musicians and everyone else uses WingQ or mixing station for themselves. Any other time with wedges I cap it at 6 as well.

Return to “Tips and Techniques”