A few X32 FX questions

M32 and X32 Digital Consoles
mattclarkmixer

Re: A few X32 FX questions

Post by mattclarkmixer »

pvannatto wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:45 am
mattclarkmixer wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:57 am I don't ever recall working with master routing so to speak like the X32 has.
Pre-fader and Post-fader terms are industry standard. I know Yamaha and A&H uses them and they work the same with those consoles.
mattclarkmixer wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:57 am Do you know of a section in the manual where this is explained?
The X32 manual was released during firmware 2 (about 8 years ago) and was never updated. So very few of us refer to it anymore. I did have a quick look at the manual and don't see any explanation of the various taps.
Sorry, perhaps I wasn't clear. I know what post tap and pre tap are. What I''m talking about is the way the fader for my vocal needs to be up on the Main LR and then I need to unassign it from the L/R Main stereo out. That to me is not intuitive. Is it this way because of the whole "sends on faders" in the different MixBusses?
pvannatto

Post by pvannatto »

mattclarkmixer wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:41 am What I''m talking about is the way the fader for my vocal needs to be up on the Main LR and then I need to unassign it from the L/R Main stereo out. That to me is not intuitive
Post fader tap is after the fader. That means that for that channel to send to the FX mixbus, the fader has to be up. But if you don't want that channel strip to go to the Main LR, the only other option is to disable the LR. To that is very intuitive.
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator
mattclarkmixer

Post by mattclarkmixer »

pvannatto wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:08 am
mattclarkmixer wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:41 am What I''m talking about is the way the fader for my vocal needs to be up on the Main LR and then I need to unassign it from the L/R Main stereo out. That to me is not intuitive
Post fader tap is after the fader. That means that for that channel to send to the FX mixbus, the fader has to be up. But if you don't want that channel strip to go to the Main LR, the only other option is to disable the LR. To that is very intuitive.
I get all that.

I guess I'm not making it clear to you what I'm referring to. No worries though. Thanks for your help.
pvannatto

Post by pvannatto »

mattclarkmixer wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:13 am I guess I'm not making it clear to you what I'm referring to.
If you are thinking that the sends levels to your IEM or wedges are affecting the FX, that is incorrect. Only the channel's main fader affect the FX, since you are sending to a bus that feeds the FX engine. These sends to buses are parallel.
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator
mattclarkmixer

Post by mattclarkmixer »

pvannatto wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:26 am
mattclarkmixer wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:13 am I guess I'm not making it clear to you what I'm referring to.
If you are thinking that the sends levels to your IEM or wedges are affecting the FX, that is incorrect. Only the channel's main fader affect the FX, since you are sending to a bus that feeds the FX engine. These sends to buses are parallel.
Right, I understand that now. That's the part that seems weird to me. From the way a traditional mixing board is layed out I would never get that impression with send on channel strips. Like I said before, I think the sends on faders thing is something I'm not used to working with. I'm 100% a studio guy and not a live mix engineer so that may be it. Seems to be a bit of a different world.

Return to “M/X32 Consoles”