Split Outputs

M/X Air Digital Mixer Series
4thEden

Split Outputs

Post by 4thEden »

Is it possible to route 2 outputs form the mixer so that 1 laptop runs the mixer and 1 laptop is dedicated to multichannel live recordings?
pvannatto

Re: Split Outputs

Post by pvannatto »

Hi @4thEden, welcome to our forum. The answer to your question is yes, because control of the mixer is done via ethernet (and/or wifi) and multi-channel recording (as long as the mixer is an XR18 or MR18) outputs the USB port to the computer.
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator
4thEden

Post by 4thEden »

Thanks Paul...

So mixing control can run on 1 laptop via ethernet port & then use the USB output into another laptop to do multichannel recording?

I just need yo make sure that the XAIR18 csn work with Cakewalk
pmaillot

Post by pmaillot »

4thEden wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:54 am Thanks Paul...

So mixing control can run on 1 laptop via ethernet port & then use the USB output into another laptop to do multichannel recording?
yes!
kmitchell

Post by kmitchell »

4thEden wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:54 am I just need yo make sure that the XAIR18 can work with Cakewalk
Make sure to install the latest ASIO drivers for the XR18 and you should be fine.
4thEden

Post by 4thEden »

Our first attempt to try this was unsuccesful. The driver installed on the DAW laptop only gave me XAir L, R & S outputs. Also the signal out was very poor. I had to normalise the audio to see the waveform.

Also, our mixer laptop seemed loose control of the mixer consule when I plugged in the usb cable to my DAW laptop.

We will try and carry on investigating...
kmitchell

Post by kmitchell »

4thEden wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:25 pm Our first attempt to try this was unsuccesful. The driver installed on the DAW laptop only gave me XAir L, R & S outputs. Also the signal out was very poor. I had to normalise the audio to see the waveform.

Also, our mixer laptop seemed loose control of the mixer consule when I plugged in the usb cable to my DAW laptop.

It doesn't sound like you are using the ASIO drivers. What DAW are you using?

Ever never before seen the USB connection affect the Ethernet connection.
AaronD

Post by AaronD »

As said before, control and audio are completely separate things, on separate connections. Problems with one do not affect the other. I really wish it would stream a Solo and Talkback through the control connection, but it doesn't even do that. They are *completely* separate.

Losing ethernet when you plug in USB sounds like a gross wiring problem to me. Firmware *might* be possible, but I really doubt that *any* version of the firmware would have *that* bug. And any problems on the computer end are eliminated by them being separate computers that know nothing of each other. Ethernet is supposed to have isolation transformers either built into the jacks themselves (very common) or on the circuit board immediately behind the jacks, to eliminate the vast majority of wiring problems, so if you *still* have a problem there, you must have something *really* wrong.

Problems on USB could have several different causes:
  1. You can change the sample rate between 44.1kHz and 48kHz, in Setup -> Audio/Midi -> Clock Rate. This is the entire mixer's sample rate, not just USB, and USB is locked to the mixer. There's no way for the computer to change or override it; the computer just has to work with what it gets. This setting is only applied on powerup; it doesn't take effect immediately.
  2. You can change the channel count of the USB "sound card", in Setup -> Audio/Midi -> USB Interface. Most of the time, you want it on 18/18, but some apps (like OBS Studio for live-streaming video) absolutely insist on making a royal mess of multichannel sound cards, so you'd make it 2/2 for that (or put a DAW in between). Like the sample rate, this setting is only applied on powerup; it doesn't take effect immediately.
  3. You can change the channel assignments in In/Out -> USB Sends. They don't have to be 1:1, or the same tap point.
Behringer has done a wonderful job of making the USB interface absolutely standards-compliant regardless of settings, so there's no problem there. I've had my own USB projects, and it's surprisingly hard to do that, but they did. (the price of making one plug work with *everything*)

Requiring normalization could be normal. I've answered a bunch of questions on the OBS forum about the same thing. Essentially, it boils down to not understanding "live" vs. "mastered" levels.
  • Live requires headroom to avoid clipping. You don't know what's coming, so you need to account for that. Most people aim for about -18dBFS or so as a general rule of thumb.
  • Mastered knows everything, has everything tamed and well-behaved already, and so it needs to run at full-scale - 0dBFS - to cover up the deficiencies in the distribution medium, whether that's tape, vinyl, radio, lousy laptop speakers, etc.
If you expect the same level that you get from a commercially-released track, then your USB recordings will indeed seem low. You're not losing quality - the converters are 24-bit, the internal processing is 40-bit, and the USB interface is 32-bit, with no way to change any of that, while commercial distributions are often 16-bit - so just roll with it. This USB connection simply comes *before* the mastering step that a commercial release has.
4thEden

Post by 4thEden »

kmitchell wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:22 pm
4thEden wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:25 pm Our first attempt to try this was unsuccesful. The driver installed on the DAW laptop only gave me XAir L, R & S outputs. Also the signal out was very poor. I had to normalise the audio to see the waveform.

It doesn't sound like you are using the ASIO drivers. What DAW are you using?

Ever never before seen the USB connection affect the Ethernet connection.
DAW is Cakewalk and yes ASIO drivers
4thEden

Post by 4thEden »

Now, I have 8 channel showing after updating to the 5.12 driver. So half way there but still missing 10 inputs

Return to “M/X-Air Digital Mixers”