Easiest Way to Remove Stuck XLR/etherCON Shell

Various tips for out of warranty equipment repairs
pvannatto

Easiest Way to Remove Stuck XLR/etherCON Shell

Post by pvannatto »

Dave Rat just posted a video showing the easiest (and probably the only) way to remove stuck XLR or ethercon shells. Wish I knew this a few years ago.
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator
KMaxwell

Re: Easiest Way to Remove Stuck XLR/etherCON Shell

Post by KMaxwell »

THANK YOU, I have to share that with every audio person I know. I thought I have been able to get the shell out with a thin automotive feeler gauge. But Dave Rats method is so much easier.
pmaillot

Post by pmaillot »

Hey!!! That's exactly what I did a few years back when one of my X32 XLR jammed in... before on top of twisting the shell to remove it :-) taking a pair of pliers and pulling that all piece of metal junk that used to serve as a 'locking mechanism'. My X32 is happy without it! :-) and I didn't have to open it!
KMaxwell

Post by KMaxwell »

Here is my cut and paste with an edit at the end to update this reply to this problem. BUT i REALLY LIKE DAVE RATS SOLUTION.

The problems with XLR connectors getting stuck in the XLR jacks in the console is not unique to Behringer. I have seen it happen on some rather high end consoles. If the male connector is bent and it is plugged into a jack it is likely to get stuck. If you try to force it, it will usually get stuck worse. You must make sure that the connector isn’t bent. When one normally unplugs the XLR it is advisable that you are sure to have the release tab fully pushed in before trying to pull the plug out. If it seems to get stuck push the plug all the way in and then push the release tab and gently try pulling the plug out. If it’s a Neutrik connector you can unscrew the cable from the shell and deal with it later. There are some tricks if that happens.

One trick to try before you get too carried away is to push the connector all the way in and make sure that the release tab pops out. Then while pushing the XLR shell in push the release tab in and very gently pull out the shell. It might help if you have the S16 sitting upside down on a table so the tab is at the bottom. If this doesn’t work and you seem to have no play with the release tab try pulling (bending) the tab out a little bit, if it got bent in, it has nowhere to travel to activate the release. If this doesn’t work try using a sturdy paper clip with a small 90 degree bend at the end you might be able to slip that into the shell and push the latch up and make it release. If you look at your other Male XLR connectors you will see that there is a slot at the top, that is what the latch is grabbing onto and where you need it to let go of. If none of this works you may have to take the unit apart or send it in for repair. I had a bent Neutrik XLR on a snake and after reading about a few people’s problems I didn’t want to plug it in in that condition so I tried to straighten it out with a pair of needle nose plyers and I wound up breaking the tab off. It has worked just fine after that. I don’t even need to push the release tab to pull it out.

Some XLR male connecters have the slot that is not cut all the way thru and some the slot is cut all the way thru. I don’t know which ones are better. If your snake has Neutrik connectors it is easy to just replace the barrel on any that are bent and there is no soldering involved just unscrew it and put a new one on. Don’t use bent ones on any mixer or stage box they are likely to get stuck. I have recently seen a lot of XLR connectors that look like they are Neutrik but they aren’t. Just yesterday I experienced a female XLR that wouldn’t latch into the male chassis connector on a Direct Box. It pulled out without having to push down on the release latch.

Also I would strongly recommend that you have what is called a Pig bag for Snake cables. You put the pigtail end of the snake in it to protect the connects is transport from getting mess up. Like this one - https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... gJeP_D_BwE
GaryH

Post by GaryH »

@pvannatto @KMaxwell Thanks for posting this very useful info. I will be trying out that Dave Rat method next time it ever happens for sure. Live and (still) Learn!

Return to “Out of Warranty Repair Tips”