How to flash Dante firmware files for the Wing using Dante Controller

Everything to do with the Dante Audio Networking aspect of the digital eco-system
GaryH

Re: How to flash Dante firmware files for the Wing using Dante Controller

Post by GaryH »

@mrdrennan The file you need is the Wing AoIP Dante 4.2.3.13 file (for Brooklyn 2). The AoIP versions are specific to internal firmware, the other AoIP file is for Brooklyn 3 and will not work with your card. You specifically need the 4.2.3.13 version.
mrdrennan

Post by mrdrennan »

GaryH wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 2:57 am @mrdrennan The file you need is the Wing AoIP Dante 4.2.3.13 file (for Brooklyn 2). The AoIP versions are specific to internal firmware, the other AoIP file is for Brooklyn 3 and will not work with your card. You specifically need the 4.2.3.13 version.
Interestingly, I’ve got audio working through the internally installed Dante card. However, on Wing firmware 2.0 the Dante option in the sources view is greyed out, although you can still select it. Likewise, it is greyed out on the clock sync options, although you cannot select it.
GaryH

Post by GaryH »

@mrdrennan I will look at mine again...though it was on 2.0 when I looked before. I don't recall the greyed out bit, I will let you know what I find.
GaryH

Post by GaryH »

@mrdrennan Mine is not greyed out, in another similar post I had said mine was blue in color which it still is. This is a 64 ch card yes? I thought I saw 32 ch in there at some point and if so that might have some effect on the routing...
GaryH

Post by GaryH »

Flashing Dante firmware using Dante Controller

Latest update as of 031724.

Since Wing firmware 1.13.9 a utility was added for “registering” INTERNAL Dante cards. It appears this must be done for any card install done AFTER loading firmware 1.13.9 (or any newer firmware versions). This may or may not include the use of Brooklyn II cards but most likely does. In my case with a Brooklyn II card already installed BEFORE I installed 1.13.9 it was not necessary. You must register the card to the Wing after installing it for full functioning of the card. It seems the option to select Dante as a clock source will not otherwise work correctly. Perhaps other unknown issues as well.

How to register a Dante Card:

1. Start the console with the Utility button pressed.
2. Go to setup/general and touch the wrench icon/options area in the CONSOLE section,
3. Enter Mod-Dante and press apply to register an internal module
4. OR Enter Mod-None to deregister the internal module.
5. Restart the console

UPDATED INFO REGARDING BROOKLYN 3 CARDS: The newest Wing Dante Expansion and X-Dante cards now come with a Brooklyn 3 version in them and will NOT work if flashed with Brooklyn 2 firmware files! Also a Brooklyn II card version will not work with any Brooklyn 3 firmware files. Doing either flash could brick your card or at least make it nonfunctional and in need of a fail safe flash! Brooklyn II or III is clearly labeled and visible on the actual Dante PCB card within the expansion card frames . You do need to know which version you have!! Very Important!!

Some of these Brooklyn 3 firmware files are now available from the Behringer Wing download section. Brooklyn 2 and 3 firmware files are SPECIFIC to the the card version used and to the location used (internal or external) There are 4 files for the Wing these days at the official MT site, Two for the Bk2 version (internal and external) and two for the BK3 version (int and ext) MAKE SURE you know what card version you own and flash with the correct firmware file for the location it will be used in. This is VERY important for proper network functioning of the 2 local Wing network ports when using an internal AOIP card, and also for the reasons listed above. The most recent (Feb 2024) Wing and X-Dante Brooklyn III files are numbered 4.2.7.7 and are currently ONLY available through Audinate via Dante Controller. Please note 4.2.7.7 is also available as TWO versions, one internal and one for the external Wing-Dante card. Also 4.2.7.7 is ONLY FOR BROOKLYN III cards at this time!! 4.2.7.7 is NOT for Brooklyn 2 cards. I would exercise great caution for this new firmware at this point in time as at least 2 users have reported problems. EDIT: 042323 There is an apparent "beta" fix for the B3 4.2.7.7 from Behringer not yet public but does reportedly fix the issue with this B3 version. Again this is in regard to Brooklyn 3 cards only. The B2 card firmware has not changed.

It's been nearly 3 years since this was originally posted-many major and minor updates have occurred along the way.
I believe this info to be 100% accurate and is done to the best of my ability. The user however bears FULL responsibility for any problems that may occur. So be forewarned. There are risks involved and the cards are all expensive and COULD be damaged in the process. It is unlikely but possible. This was meant for flashing a Wing related 64 ch Dante Card but really applies to any Dante Card in your system. This assumes you have a functioning Dante network and all Dante devices used in the system are recognized by Dante Controller. The computer used needs to have internet access! Not all Brooklyn II or III cards made will work directly. This due to the manufacturer using a proprietary firmware update program of their own (Yamaha being one of these) That said there are work arounds that allow flashing them to Wing firmware. Ask if wanting more info on using an NY64 card (Yamaha) in your Wing.

So as stated you do need internet access to use the Dante updater section of Dante Controller. It means that the computer used for the updates and flashing has to have access the internet AND your Dante network both. This so as to be able to obtain the manufacturers current firmware files and to monitor for firmware version updates for any Dante device you now use in your Dante network. In a perfect world DC should alert you to the fact that devices have updates available. I have seen this to sometimes not be the case.

It's important IMO to note there are 2 “import” related firmware sections in Dante Updater. One is in the LIBRARY section and one in the HOME section. This can be VERY confusing and very easily missed! Just one word difference exists between the 2 sections which otherwise look identical in both label and color. The Library section says “Imported Files” and the Home section says “Imported Firmware Files” Both of these sections have different and important functions in the process.

Flashing the firmware for Wing related Dante cards using the latest Dante Controller program:

1) In the latest Dante Controller program open the Dante Updater. It's the little icon that resembles a water drop with a dot inside it. You need to enable the advanced settings once you are in the Dante Updater to allow importing firmware files and allow flashing with different manufacturers firmware files. (Overide) You can find all the options available in the "Advanced Settings" in the top right drop down menu of Dante Updater.

2) Go to the LIBRARY section and type in “Behringer” (or whatever manufacturer) and you will see a list of appropriate firmware files to download. Download the ones needed.

3) This next step may seem a bit confusing BUT it is required. After downloading the firmware you now need to import them back into the Home Dante Updater section of the program.The Home section is really where the actual flashing happens. The 'Copy to Local' option now does this. In the latest Dante Controller version there is now a new column called 'Copy to Local" This makes things SO much easier than in earlier versions of DC. It places your downloaded files in the Home/imported files area and they are then available to flash IF the correct card is present in your system. if you have downloaded your firmware from the Behringer website you need to import those files manually into the LIBRARY imported files section first-then you can use "copy to local" and they too will be put in the correct LOCAL imported files section. In the Library section will also see a list of all files that you have imported in the past. All your imported files will be there in the future unless you uninstall DC at some point. I made copies of any files I downloaded to keep on my computer if ever need them down the road and suggest doing that as in some cases the exact version number isn't easy to find within the Audinate library.

In older DC versions you had to know exactly where the downloaded files were located on your computer. It was a pain to be sure. Though this is no longer needed, it’s good info to know anyway:

On a Windows 11 machine (Windows 10 also) they end up here:

\users\AppData\Local\DanteUpdater\User Data\Default\dnt_cache"
**Make sure you allow viewing of ‘hidden’ files in a Windows computer or you will never find the AppData folder! It is a system file hidden by default.

On a Mac they are here:
/users/{username}/Library/Application Support/Dante Updater/Default/dnt_cache

4) Now go to the HOME tab and open the “Imported Firmware Files” section there. It will list all the Dante devices found in your Dante network. There is a little arrow next to each device that points to the right. Click on that arrow and it will then point downward and you will see a list of compatible firmware files (including the ones you just imported) for the specific card you have selected. Choose your file and follow the process. It will install the selected firmware file to the device. Once you have flashed your device you can also do a "roll back" which allows you to essentially undo the whole process at any time. Override, Rollback and Reload are your possible options depending on device. This is available for every Dante device on your specific network.

Return to “Dante Audio Networking”