X32 Rack recording levels query

M32 and X32 Digital Consoles
genoqian

X32 Rack recording levels query

Post by genoqian »

Hi.

Just bought an MPC Live 2 and plugged the USB from the X32 Rack into the sockets on the Live 2 and I set the X32 card to 32 ins/outs and then made the settings in the MPC to receive the 32 channels. I routed the ins from the X32 to the outs on the card so I could record any input channel on the X32 by choosing the appropriate channel in the MPC. I found that the recorded levels in the MPC were very low and I had to boost the input channel gain by 12db or push the channel faders to +10 to get anywhere near a decent recorded level. This was at odds with my understanding that I want the input signal to be around -18db.

I then tried using an analog audio connection, I used a bus send to route audio to the external analog ins on the MPC and all the levels were just great from the start. Obviously I've misunderstood something here, the USB connection would be quite useful to me so if anyone could point out where I've gone wrong that would be great.

Thanks.
GaryH

Re: X32 Rack recording levels query

Post by GaryH »

@genoqian Likely its the tap points used by "local" as your card out source. Local inputs are tapped just past the preamp and can't be changed. If you use out 1-16, aux out or p16 out source categories you can designate the tap point to be post fader or post eq etc etc, Use those categories instead of local in the card out routing menu.
genoqian

Post by genoqian »

Thanks, I'll check that out.
AlexBryer

Post by AlexBryer »

@genoqian Is your MPC getting anything from the x32s 17-32 channels? I can only get it to work with 1-16 whether I'm sending or receiving. It gives me options for all 32, but no signal is transferred either way. I have both the x32 (X-Live) and MPC (Key 61) set to 32 in/32 out.

Sorry to hi-jack your post, just really can't find any info on it. Thanks in advance and I hope your levels are good now! My levels happen to show up the exact same in the MPC and x32 so I'm not sure what I'm doing right in that regard but I'll look into it.
genoqian

Post by genoqian »

I get signal from all 32 channels.

Return to “M/X32 Consoles”