S16 Stagebox Failure

ddamron

S16 Stagebox Failure

Post by ddamron »

Hey all, hope someone here can help me..
I have an X32R + S16 Stagebox. I was using it regularly, until we ended up getting a few really loud pops, and I repidly disconnected the stagebox.
We ended up using the IO on the back of the X32R, but now I want to try using the stage box again.

I plugged it in multiple times, and the X32R can see it, can toggle phantom power, and adjust gains, but I can't get *any* signal from any input, and I can't get any output from any output..

Is there a service manual available for the S16? I am an electrical engineer by day...

to sum up: everything *looks* like its working, but no audio signal in or out..

Thanks in advance!

Dan
pvannatto

Re: S16 Stagebox Failure

Post by pvannatto »

Hi @ddamron, welcome to our forum.

The loud pops and audio dropout is due to ESD (electrostatic discharge) when the AES50 cable is not shielded ethernet cable, does not have ethercon ends on each end, there is no continuity between ethercon ends, and the cable length does not exceed the manufacture's recommended length (80-100 meters). I would suggest that you make sure that you are using the correct cable.
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator
ddamron

Post by ddamron »

The cable was CAT6 Shielded, with ethercon ends. I built the cable specifically for this purpose. It's also only 30 meters long. Sorry, I should have mentioned that above..
KMaxwell

Post by KMaxwell »

Regarding the POPs that you were getting.
Are the EtherCon connectors black? Have you checked for continuity between the chassis of the EtherCon connectors? I was given an EtherCon cable with black connectors and the black coating on the inside of the connectors was inhibiting a good connection. In other words the coating (?paint) was making it so that I wasn’t getting a good grounding between the cable shield and the connector. I scraped off the coating on the inside of the EtherCon connectors and I then had continuity between the shield on the 2 ends. I don’t think the EtherCons were the Neutrik versions. Mostly because after that experience I had a black Neutrik EtherCon in my hands and their coating was not something that could be scrapped off. I checked the chassis grounds because I knew of the POP issue and I was being proactive.

Now why it doesn’t work passing audio. It is either a routing problem (we all make mistakes once in a while) or the S16 has a failure in it. Possibly caused by the static discharge into the S16. I came across a SD16 that had that problem. But it wasn’t all of the inputs, it was just some of them. Also depending on the firmware versions in the X32 Rack and the S16 the early ones needed to be turned on in a particular sequence to work right. I can’t remember if it was S16 on first and then the X32 or the other way around. What mode is the S16 set to? I did try to get an S16 working for someone that got it as an open box unit from Sweetwater and the AES50a port didn’t work right but I can’t remember the exact behavior. They returned it and got a new one.
ddamron

Post by ddamron »

I ensured the ethercon shield had a good solid connection, (I made the cables), and the ethercon connector is silver.. (neutrik)
I firmly believe the S16 has a failure inside it. absolutely NO audio from any channel available. Even on the device itself, you can connect a mic to a channel, and adjust the gain locally, and see the audio signal.. Gain all the way up, absolutely zero on the meter. nothing, zilch.

I've tried 2 cables with it, a-a, b-a, no change., however, I can see the X32 recognises the S16, and all is happy with controlling it.. I can adjust the gain on the x32, and watch it change on the S16..

So this brings be back to the original question: Is there a service manual available for this device?
Failing that, I'm trying to purchase another unit so I can do a signal to signal comparison.. but I might end up just purchasing another X32R instead.. then I can use that for monitors.
pvannatto

Post by pvannatto »

ddamron wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:57 am I firmly believe the S16 has a failure inside it
It sure sounds like that is the case, unfortunately. Also unfortunately, Music-Tribe only provides service manuals to authorized service providers and guard them with an iron fist.
ddamron wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:57 am Failing that, I'm trying to purchase another unit so I can do a signal to signal comparison.. but I might end up just purchasing another X32R instead.. then I can use that for monitors
I have a second X32 Rack as a backup (both as a console and a stagebox). Instead of an S16, consider getting an SD16. I have 2 of them and prefer them over the S16 (simpler, combo input jacks, 4 Ultranet ports, can be rack mounted but I prefer not to).
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator
ddamron

Post by ddamron »

pvannatto wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:52 am I have a second X32 Rack as a backup (both as a console and a stagebox). Instead of an S16, consider getting an SD16. I have 2 of them and prefer them over the S16 (simpler, combo input jacks, 4 Ultranet ports, can be rack mounted but I prefer not to).
That is exactly what I'm thinking as well.. sad to see if S16 isn't working.. but I think I'll be better off with another X32R to be used as a stagebox and for monitors..

Return to “Stageboxes”