Backup multitrack recording and Vidiot.

M32 and X32 Digital Consoles
KMaxwell

Post by KMaxwell »

I’m not sure where to put this question. Because it involves an X32Compact with a XLive card a WING and the WING live card.

I worked on a musical recently and for the video recording of it we had all of the Pit Band (that was upstage behind the scenery) mics going into a DL32 that was split to an X32Compact and a WING. The X32Compact was being controlled (Hard wired to a Mac running X32 edit) by one of the video people to get a mix for the recording. We also had an X-Live card in that Compact so we had a multi-track backup of the PIT. It also had an input into the Compact and to the X-Live card that was from the WING, of the Wireless mic mix that was used for the house sound. It was set to record 32 tracks but only used 20 inputs.

The video people shot 2 performances since the show had a bunch of part double cast. To be on the safe side (instead of counting on it jumping to the 2nd card) we swapped out the (32Gb) SD card at intermission, for each show, since it looked like it wasn’t going to all fit on one card.

The video guy contacted me (the other day) and said the when he tried to import the tracks from the first show to Apple Logic the first 13 minutes are missing. I went and got the cards from him and tested the SD cards playing it back in the WING and it is all there. So I don’t know what he did wrong.

On the card was one short file because I wanted to make sure it would work and I told him I have always done that and it is the second folder that he wants that is the first act of the show. So I don’t know if he corrupted something because he may have mistaken that first folder with the short test with just ambient sound of the pit mics up. He doesn’t do this very often so I wouldn’t be surprised if he made some kind of mistake. It looks like he was trying to recover what he assumed was missing because I see some what look like recovery software form a Mac on the SD card. I don’t want to give him back these SD cards because I am worried he will mess them up.

He is on a vacation trip till next Wednesday. I have a couple of 64Gb SD cards that are formatted as Fat32 so I was thinking of giving him each show on a 64Gb card when He gets back. I was thinking of giving him Just the Folders with the 1st and 2nd acts on them without the test folder. Do I need to put the 2 folders that I want to give him (the 1st and 2nd acts) in a folder called X_Live. Or is there another way that I should be doing this?
pmaillot

Re: Backup multitrack recording and Vidiot.

Post by pmaillot »

Hi Kevin,

Don't return the cards if you don't fully trust the guy knows what he's doing. Backup your recordings!

To copy these sessions, just copy the actual directories so he's presented with the two exact same sessions as you have; He should be able to figure it out if you show/tell him what session to use first; any decent DAW of editing system will be able to decode the tracks and realign the audio segments.

-P.
KMaxwell

Re: Backup multitrack recording and Vidiot.

Post by KMaxwell »

pmaillot wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:03 pm Hi Kevin,

Don't return the cards if you don't fully trust the guy knows what he's doing. Backup your recordings!

To copy these sessions, just copy the actual directories so he's presented with the two exact same sessions as you have; He should be able to figure it out if you show/tell him what session to use first; any decent DAW of editing system will be able to decode the tracks and realign the audio segments.

-P.
Thank you. That was what I was thinking. I will copy the directory from card 1 (the first act of Fridays show) and the directory from card 2 (the second act from Fridays show) to a 64Gb card. And do the same thing to another 64Gb card for Saturdays show. I will also keep the original cards till I know he has figured it out. He used the backups for a show we did about 2 years ago so he accomplished this at least once in the past. I don't know what is causing his problem (confusion) this time.

Return to “M/X32 Consoles”