Dante Cards 101

Behringer WING Consoles
Jsun_Tyler

Dante Cards 101

Post by Jsun_Tyler »

I hear people using them but I have never been associated with any show that used one. Just curious of the purpose and advantage if any by using a Dante Card.
MJKlein
Site Admin

Re: Dante Cards 101

Post by MJKlein »

Dante is a type of audio over Ethernet, and the Dante card is an audio converter card that allows you to send and receive audio from that network and enjoy the ultra low latency and plug-and-play capability. You should do some reading on the topic of Dante Audio Networking and see what it can do for you.
湖口鄉新竹縣台灣 Hukou Township, Hsinchu County, Taiwan
Behringer X32/Dante + Soundcraft Ghost + X32ReaperAutoMate
English/中文
This site is hosted at Dathorn: https://dathorn.com/index.php?r=489
https://www.youtube.com/@phoenixmediaforge
pvannatto

Post by pvannatto »

Jsun_Tyler wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:07 pm Just curious of the purpose and advantage if any by using a Dante Card.
Dante is typically used to enable multiple brand of consoles and interfaces to access common inputs and outputs. For example, if you have a Yamaha console at FOH, a Wing at monitor, an A&H at broadcast and a computer for recording, these all can access the Dante enabled stageboxes for both inputs and outputs. All assignments are made using Dante software. This all eliminates the fritzing around with input splitters, proprietary stageboxes and digital snakes, etc.
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator
pmaillot

Post by pmaillot »

pvannatto wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:43 pm [...] This all eliminates the fritzing around with input splitters, proprietary stageboxes and digital snakes, etc.
Yes, but then you'd better be a good networking guy, otherwise things can get complicated quickly :-) [Just so the equation is complete]
pvannatto

Post by pvannatto »

pmaillot wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:51 pm otherwise things can get complicated quickly
Agreed. But X32/M32/Wing routing can be just as intimidating to some. And now with the new S16/DL16 firmware update, it could be come chaotic quickly. ;)
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator
Jsun_Tyler

Post by Jsun_Tyler »

pvannatto wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:43 pm
Jsun_Tyler wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:07 pm Just curious of the purpose and advantage if any by using a Dante Card.
Dante is typically used to enable multiple brand of consoles and interfaces to access common inputs and outputs. For example, if you have a Yamaha console at FOH, a Wing at monitor, an A&H at broadcast and a computer for recording, these all can access the Dante enabled stageboxes for both inputs and outputs. All assignments are made using Dante software. This all eliminates the fritzing around with input splitters, proprietary stageboxes and digital snakes, etc.
Thank you now I understand why this has not been on my radar. I have been X32 consoles, X32 racks to Wings. Never even considered using other hardware with them.
Jsun_Tyler

Post by Jsun_Tyler »

pvannatto wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:00 pm
pmaillot wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:51 pm otherwise things can get complicated quickly
Agreed. But X32/M32/Wing routing can be just as intimidating to some. And now with the new S16/DL16 firmware update, it could be come chaotic quickly. ;)
Routing by far is the biggest learning curve for both X32 and Wing console
Jsun_Tyler

Post by Jsun_Tyler »

MJKlein wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:10 pm Dante is a type of audio over Ethernet, and the Dante card is an audio converter card that allows you to send and receive audio from that network and enjoy the ultra low latency and plug-and-play capability. You should do some reading on the topic of Dante Audio Networking and see what it can do for you.
Thank you
DaveT

Post by DaveT »

Routing by far is the biggest learning curve for both X32 and Wing console
I agree with the X/M32 that the routing's a PITA (until you get to know it and get your brain to rewire to its way of doing), but the wing is an absolute dream compared to the X/M, and couldn't be much simpler

Dave

Return to “WING Consoles”