Why can’t a manufacturer be honest with us?

This forum is open to general topics. Please keep the conversations clean and nonconfrontational.
KMaxwell

Re: Why can’t a manufacturer be honest with us?

Post by KMaxwell »

I think you are misunderstanding me. I am very familiar with the whole just in time manufacturing and the problems that it is causing right now. I probably should have let this drop but I am not that kind of person.

Maybe I shouldn’t have just implied that it is the manufacturer that is the only one that knows things that they aren’t telling us. I am not just referring to Behringer (or whatever they are calling themselves now) this is most companies. I find it hard to believe that they couldn’t tell us simply we have some amount of product A that is on its way to your country on a ship. Or we have a no product that will be leaving our factory any time soon. If I was a stock holder I would want to know what is going on. I understand the Behringer is a privately held company.

It is a company that hasn’t had the greatest reputation for customer service and it seems like they aren’t doing anything (even before the apocalypse) to improve that reputation. There was a time when I wouldn’t touch a Behringer product if I didn’t have to. But when they (or should I say he) started buying some of the major manufacturers and it has seemed like they retained a lot of the people that work for these companies. I started to look at their products again. Especially when they bought Midas, because I really liked the Big Midas analog Mixers when I got to use them. I hope that it doesn’t get to the point where I have to take any products made by them off my list of acceptable products. Because I like the capabilities and the price point of some of their products. But at the price point of some of these products people are buying them that don’t know hardly anything about sound. and that creates a whole different bunch of problems. Hopefully a forum like this will help some of them. I am trying to help someone remotely right now that is like that and I have already spent over 6hrs on the phone with him trying to help him out. and I am not charging anything to him to do that.

My comment about the WING screen has to do with customer support. When they knew that they had a problem with some of the touchscreens for the first run of the WING, when they worked out a solution for all of the new ones being made, they also should have shipped a lot of replacement screens to their repair facilities for all of the failures that were going to come back for repair. If they did that it looks like they didn’t send enough of them. I really hope that the screen problem shows up immediately when you have a WING. But I have heard of some people that didn’t notice a problem at first. But the question is was it a problem and they didn’t realize it or did it become a problem after some use. The twin to the WING that I have in my position right now is still boxed up (sound company had to order 2 of them) and for sale at that sound company. A couple of month ago I went over there and updated it to the latest firmware (at the time) and ran the screen test (for about an hour) and it tested fine I hope it stays working fine. And we then sealed it back up in its box. I have a client that has voiced an interest in that WING, but I don’t know if it is too complicated for them.

I understand the present problems but I have to add one thing here. I did a google search yesterday looking for recent news as to the problem of ships sitting off the west coast of the USA. I asked google to only give me matches from the last week. I started reading about the problems at the docks (I already knew that but was looking for more detail) and there was something that caught my eye and I then discovered that it was an article from 2004 but it was exactly the same issue at the dock and offloading ships as we now have. So some of these shipping problems aren’t new.

It has gotten to the point now that I am having to telling clients that we have no idea when anything will be available. So please put any sound purchase on hold. We may be able to get part of your order but the chances of getting everything so the system will work is slim to none.

Please forgive any spelling or grammar errors.
curtbl

Re: Why can’t a manufacturer be honest with us?

Post by curtbl »

Appreciate the comments and concur as well.... Its been a long time (2004 as example) since seeing this type of on going issue. I know 2 people that have put off there new car / truck purchase til next year.
And yet I wish all companies would address the service and support issues especially Behringer and this screen issue has been handled about as poorly as it could have been. Yes the pandemic added a wealth of issues however communication, as you state, would certainly go along way to decision making processes.
Waiting to see if the issues with the Wing Dante card and just being delivered and not working correctly is going to be handled as badly.

The Wing is an amazing product and it may never see the sales that the X/M32 have just due to the lack of product support issues, quality control appears to me next to non existent.
C

Return to “General Chat”