HOW Output Routing

thegeorgedougherty

HOW Output Routing

Post by thegeorgedougherty »

This is a collection and refinement from other posts.

About a decade ago I saw a training video from Avid for their Venue console that changed my life. Outputs from any console that has them always feed off Matrixes, not your Main L/R. That leaves you perpetually flexible to feed another source because your Main L/R has a flat EQ, and your tone controls for the house are on a matrix.
Need a feed for a videographer that showed up? Route to another matrix and plug them in.
Need a livestream feed? Route to a matrix and blend in from a Mixbus or another Main bus dedicated for adding what's not in the house mix.

At my church I've configured our Wing to do FOH live and Broadcast simultaneously with the 4 mains. and Matrixes.
For final outputs, Matrix 1 is FOH L/R. Matrix 2 is Subs, Matrix 3 is for our livestream.
For main mixes Main 1= Stereo Mix, Main 2= Subs, Main 3= Broadcast Only, Main 4= FOH Only. In Setup->Audio I set Main Link to 1>2-4.
Matrix 1 for FOH blends Main 1 and Main 4. I use Main 4 to boost the Fx into the room so their levels balance out between FOH and Broadcast.
Matrix 2 gets a unity send of Main 2 for the aux subs.
Matrix 3 for broadcast is a blend of Main 1 and Main 3. Main 3 boosts what's inadequate in Main 1.

The monitor section headphone mix source is the Broadcast Matrix 3. I can always grab my headphones and check what's streaming.
During rehearsal, I set reverb levels in the headphones for the broadcast mix, then add reverb into Main 4 until the FOH sounds about the same. I only needed to do that once.

I originally setup Main 3/4 to isolate remote video guest audio in a conference. The incoming Zoom audio didn't route to Main 1, preventing a loopback into Matrix 4 routed to the Zoom computer so we could talk to them. Afterward, I realized the weekly live stream benefits and made that our standard setup.
MJKlein
Site Admin

Re: HOW Output Routing

Post by MJKlein »

thegeorgedougherty wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:36 am I originally setup Main 3/4 to isolate remote video guest audio in a conference. The incoming Zoom audio didn't route to Main 1, preventing a loopback into Matrix 4 routed to the Zoom computer so we could talk to them. Afterward, I realized the weekly live stream benefits and made that our standard setup.
In other words, you made a broadcast mix-minus feed. Excellent.
湖口鄉新竹縣台灣 Hukou Township, Hsinchu County, Taiwan
Behringer X32/Dante + Soundcraft Ghost + X32ReaperAutoMate
English/中文
This site is hosted at Dathorn: https://dathorn.com/index.php?r=489
https://www.youtube.com/@phoenixmediaforge
thegeorgedougherty

Re: HOW Output Routing

Post by thegeorgedougherty »

MJKlein wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:03 pm
thegeorgedougherty wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:36 am I originally setup Main 3/4 to isolate remote video guest audio in a conference. The incoming Zoom audio didn't route to Main 1, preventing a loopback into Matrix 4 routed to the Zoom computer so we could talk to them. Afterward, I realized the weekly live stream benefits and made that our standard setup.
In other words, you made a broadcast mix-minus feed. Excellent.
Exactly.

Return to “Tips and Techniques”