Multiple UMC-Uphoria's, one headphone to hear 20 imputs

Chickmagnet

Multiple UMC-Uphoria's, one headphone to hear 20 imputs

Post by Chickmagnet »

Hi everyone, I have and use 5 U-Phoria interfaces.
2, UMC-202, 2, UMC-404 and 1, UMC-1820.
I have 5 usb cords connected to my 27" Mac.
Currently when the band is playing and all 20 imputs are being used, I have to plug my headphones into each interface to hear each instrument.
Can I have all 20 inputs sound on one headphone from all 5 interfaces?
Is this something optical cables can help with?
kmitchell

Re: Multiple UMC-Uphoria's, one headphone to hear 20 imputs

Post by kmitchell »

Hi @Chickmagnet , Welcome to the forums. That's quite a unique setup. I'm curious as to what DAW software allows you to use 5 interfaces? Did you create an aggregate device? The reason I ask is because you should be able to monitor USB inputs through your DAW. To answer your question, the only thing I can think of is a headphone selector switch but I've only ever seen a 4 channel box, not 5.

There's also a software solution for Mac called Audio Hijack (https://rogueamoeba.com/audiohijack/). It's kind of a Swiss army knife of tools that allows you to route audio in all sorts of creative ways. You could route the 20 inputs to a playback channel on one of the interfaces, while still having the inputs connected to your DAW. They offer a free version to test out that is time limited to 10 minutes per session.

Finally, you could greatly simplify your setup by moving to an XR18 (18 inputs) or an X32 Rack (40 inputs) in a single interface. Either of these would allow you to "solo" each input through one pair of headphones.

Return to “Audio Interfaces”