Wing Fader Replacement

Behringer WING Consoles
Synetos

Wing Fader Replacement

Post by Synetos »

I have a wing I purchased second hand that has a fader that is misbehaving.
Does anyone have a video or reference guide for replacing a fader?
Is it a fairly simple process, like a Midas fader that only has 2 screws? Or, do you have to solder?
I mostly just need a bit of guidance since Behringer wont give me a service manual so I can properly disassemble the wing. Trying not to learn by breaking it, since I dont have any kind of warranty.
All wisdom appreciated.
GaryH

Re: Wing Fader Replacement

Post by GaryH »

I dont think its ridiculously hard, probably harder to get the replacement fader, then again, maybe just a mechanical adjust or replaced belt is all that's needed. There are people on the FB Wing users private forums who have taken the thing completely apart. I would guess over there would be a better place to ask. I've had the back off several times for dante internal card tests but that section wont help you for fixing faders. Good luck, you can post a "how to" when you are done :-)
Synetos

Post by Synetos »

Thanks for the suggestion. The fader will move up, but wont return. I put my own Dante card in as well. I ordered a replacement fader months ago and it is set to arrive in a few weeks. I dont have a FB account, but I guess it might be worth creating one again if there is a pool of wisdom over there. :). Whoever makes a Wing Youtube video taking the thing apart is going to get a million views. 900,000 probably will be my views. ha
Last edited by Synetos on Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Synetos

Post by Synetos »

I happy to say that Firmware 1.13.9 fixed my stuck fader! This is fantastic news for me
GaryH

Post by GaryH »

Excellent News!1
Synetos

Post by Synetos »

Arrg! The sticky fader issue came back again. Tried reapplying the firmware update, but no luck. I recall watching the update the first time go through each fader. That was what fixed it. Not sure what to make of it? Any suggestions?
Synetos

Post by Synetos »

The saga continues...

I bought a replacement fader and took my wing completely apart. Removing old fader (soldered to MB) was a PITA! I eventually got it removed and soldered in the replacement. Put it all back together and it didnt solve the issue.

So, I am thinking I may just give up and just sell my wing and go to an M32C along with my DL32. Shipping it in without warranty will cost me at least $800+. If the mainboard has an issue to be fixed, then it gets really stupid expensive. For now, maybe I will just continue to use it as is. I don't know. I am kinda annoyed with it all now. Just want to get back to making music.

I do think this is my last Behringer brand product though. The support is complete crap. The warranty is BS, and parts are stupid hard to find.

Anyway, I did take lots of pics and a few video clips when I took it apart (mostly so I could remember how to put it back together). Eventually I will post some pics/videos on YouTube and link it here.
pmaillot

Post by pmaillot »

Did you test (outside of the Wing) the replaced and supposedly faulty fader?
If it shows no issue as would suggest your experience in replacing it, the issue may come from the fader driver; Follow the traces tha control the fader to find what chip drives it, and maybe that one needs replacing.

I agree with you the lack of schematics and part references makes it hard to fix faulty electronics. The other solution is to use an authorized repair service.

-Patrick
pvannatto

Post by pvannatto »

pmaillot wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 6:16 pm The other solution is to use an authorized repair service.
Unfortunately that requires submitting a repair ticket and the only way I know how to do that is through the official community website - which is offline (has been for the past 3 days).
Synetos wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 1:32 pm Anyway, I did take lots of pics and a few video clips when I took it apart (mostly so I could remember how to put it back together). Eventually I will post some pics/videos on YouTube and link it here.
That would be wonderful if you could, thanks.
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator
GaryH

Post by GaryH »

@Synetos Would love to watch those videos-great education

Return to “WING Consoles”