X 32 screen flip

Various tips for out of warranty equipment repairs
KMaxwell

Re: X 32 screen flip

Post by KMaxwell »

I just thought of one reason that the system might have a way to make the screen display in that mode. There might be a service mode where if you are working behind the mixer you could flip the screen and use a mirror so you can read the screen with working behind the mixer. I would assume that this capability would be able to be reached with a special key combination.

When trying to set something up with OSC commands on an M32 or the WING (I can’t remember which it was) I got into some weird mode.
KMaxwell

Post by KMaxwell »

I also wonder if the people posting these pictures are just using there phone set wrong and it isn't really a flipped screen just a flipped phone picture. Unless the picture shows more of the mixer how can we tell it isn't a fake?
soundresource

Post by soundresource »

New screen not yet here, and rational deduction not working, time to throw the irrational at the desk: Replace the battery.

When I lifted the lid on the console Lo & Behold! Thar she blows! etc. On the bottom circuit board, near the battery, is an oval iron/magnetic slug encircling the ribbon cable to the screen. This slug had escaped the plastic retaining cage and was up the ribbon cable a few inches. With no visible damage to the cable, I replaced the slug in its cage and fired the console up. Eureka!!

The cage itself seems a bit distorted by time. Two tabs that secure the ferrite core no longer close properly. A couple dabs of black RTV took care of that.
pvannatto

Post by pvannatto »

soundresource wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:02 pm With no visible damage to the cable, I replaced the slug in its cage and fired the console up. Eureka!!
That might have been the hardware modifications for the Australian users. ;) Glad to hear that you found it. Otherwise you might have had to move there.
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator
KMaxwell

Post by KMaxwell »

I would assume that the choke (what you are calling the magnetic slug) being lose caused the cable to the screen to be slightly pulled and by taking the strain off of that you probably ended up re-seating the cable just enough to make it work. The choke even removed should not have cased the screen to display the image flipped.
MJKlein
Site Admin

Post by MJKlein »

Was the cable a mobius type?
湖口鄉新竹縣台灣 Hukou Township, Hsinchu County, Taiwan
Behringer X32/Dante + Soundcraft Ghost + X32ReaperAutoMate
English/中文
This site is hosted at Dathorn: https://dathorn.com/index.php?r=489
https://www.youtube.com/@phoenixmediaforge
soundresource

Post by soundresource »

Image of the bugger responsible. I discount the tension-on-ribbon theory, as the inverted image was perfectly crisp and had survived (with failure) many miles and unknown handling before landing on my bench. There is also a strip of tape from factory acting as a strain relief on the ribbon, and this was intact.

This is from a Compact. I imagine this is a similar situation in all X/M consoles. This item would be most vulnerable if console/case falls or is transported on face.

This console has been flagged for observation, and returned to field. Any new developments I will be sure to update.
MJKlein
Site Admin

Post by MJKlein »

I'm not sure what I'm looking at. What exactly caused this to happen?
湖口鄉新竹縣台灣 Hukou Township, Hsinchu County, Taiwan
Behringer X32/Dante + Soundcraft Ghost + X32ReaperAutoMate
English/中文
This site is hosted at Dathorn: https://dathorn.com/index.php?r=489
https://www.youtube.com/@phoenixmediaforge
soundresource

Post by soundresource »

There is an oval ferrite core surrounding the screen drive ribbon cable. it is held captive by a couple of tabs on the surrounding plastic retainer. These tabs have become distorted, allowing the core to travel up the ribbon cable. The result was a perfect, yet backwards & inverted screen image. Returning the core to the retainer righted the image. It is now retained by RTV.

FWIW- There was no evidence of impact on either the console or the case. It is surface transported in the factory TP case.

Update: Desk went out on jobs and is working 100%.
Funvett

Post by Funvett »

Check the connection of pin #1 where the ribbon cable attaches to to bottom main board. Move the ribbon around whole the console is powered and you will see the screen flip. As seen I put a bit of hot glue on it and good as new!

Return to “Out of Warranty Repair Tips”