Channel swap

This section provides support for Paul's apps
DwayneA

Channel swap

Post by DwayneA »

Hey Paul.

Can you provide an assist on setting the Toolbox to do an M32 channel swap?

For example we would like to move the User Input, scribble strip, head amp settings, dynamics, EQ, sends, DCA and mute group membership, from Ch 3 to Ch 20 and from Ch 20 to Ch 3 in one easy step. Can that be done from the command line or a batch file? Often our techs don't like the way the console has been laid out and want to reconfigure what channels are grouped and on what layer.

Thx for your help.
D
pvannatto

Re: Channel swap

Post by pvannatto »

Hey Dwayne,

Channel swapping using Live Toolbox is a bit problematic. It can be done. But I haven't had the time to develop an interface, due to the complexity of the code. This is because that before moving data from one channel to another, the original destination data needs to be stored somewhere first, and there's a lot of settings in the channels.

The easier way to swap channels is to use the Channel Arranger tool in the X32 Scene Parser. Export your scene to a file (using the console's Utility button or X32-Edit), import to Scene Parser, select the Surface Input block(s), and click on the Ch Arrange button. That will setup the channel arranger tool. Drag the channels to the left or right, set the range, include Headamps and click on Transfer. This will create a snippet in the Results Editor which can be saved and imported into the console.
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator
DwayneA

Post by DwayneA »

Hi Paul.
Ya, I sensed this was a complicated ask.
I'm pretty sure I could manage the procedure you describe, but I'm equally sure my volunteers will not be able.
Let me stew a bit.... thx.
D
pmaillot

Post by pmaillot »

Maaybe X32CustomLayer can help?

https://sites.google.com/site/patrickma ... tduyqh6jox

-Patrick
DwayneA

Post by DwayneA »

What is X32CustomLayer ?
KMaxwell

Post by KMaxwell »

On the M32 or X32, If you have any spare DCAs you can configure a DCA with the channels that you want to see on the surface and then when you hit "SEL" this channels will spill to the left section on the 16 channels you have there.

The Custom layers on the WING comes in real handy to setup exactly what you want to show up on the surface of the Mixer. I use that feature a lot. On the WING every Layer can be customized but that can be a little bit dangerous because you may wind up having hidden channels that way. And then it can be challenging to find where you put them, if you actually put them some where or just forgot to put them anywhere.
DwayneA

Post by DwayneA »

Ah, I was aware of that DCA Spill feature but never thought of using it to adjust a small custom mix.
Great idea! Thx.
D
pmaillot

Post by pmaillot »

DwayneA wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:10 pm What is X32CustomLayer ?
As said in the website, X32CustomLayer is a simple utility to create and manage custom channel layers easily. Starting from a standard or current X32 setup (that is Input channels 01 to 32 and Aux inputs 01 to 08), X32CustomLayer enables you to reorganize the way “channels” are set (or layered).

Basically this enables you to virtually move a “channel” to a different position, keeping the actual input assigned to that “channel”; For example, say you have your singer microphone set at “channel” 01 and using XLR input 01. For ease of use, you need or would prefer to have this microphone handled by fader 25, and no time to unplug everything, and change all “channel” 25 settings to values that were used for “channel” 01.

You enter 01 in the box under “channel” 25, and voila! the program does the rest in copying config, eq, dyn,…, sends sections and in reassigning the input source, in a snap! X32CustomLayer will manage X32 Input channels 01 to 32, and Aux inputs 01 to 08 as numbers 33 to 40.
pvannatto

Post by pvannatto »

pmaillot wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:38 am X32CustomLayer is a simple utility to create and manage custom channel layers easily.
If for example you want to move say channel 15 to channel 5, will it move it there and shift the existing channels (5-14) over one (to 6-15), or does it simply overwrite channel 5? The shifting of existing channels is the complexity that has deterred me from implementing this in Live Toolbox.
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator
pmaillot

Post by pmaillot »

pvannatto wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:23 am
pmaillot wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:38 am X32CustomLayer is a simple utility to create and manage custom channel layers easily.
If for example you want to move say channel 15 to channel 5, will it move it there and shift the existing channels (5-14) over one (to 6-15), or does it simply overwrite channel 5? The shifting of existing channels is the complexity that has deterred me from implementing this in Live Toolbox.
You have the choice :-) insert channel at a given place (i.e. imply shifting), or exchange channel with another one.
But yes, it is/was kinda complex to implement, and I can say that after shifting/swapping channels a few times, the "list" button is quite useful (showing what's what in a list)

Return to “Paul's Apps Support”