My 2 cents on X32Automate

Support forum for the AutoMate family of console automation specifically designed for Behringer/Midas consoles by Patrick Gilles-Maillot.

This forum is also for support with Reaper and the X-Live expansion card with respect to AutoMate.

https://x32ram.com
Forum rules
For generic X-Live support, please go to the appropriate forum here:
viewforum.php?f=47
Deffe

My 2 cents on X32Automate

Post by Deffe »

I am fiddling around with x32automate and I (personally) am missing a visual response in using x32automate - perhaps I am the only one but maybe others would find it helpfull too:

I've made a little example how the GUI would be more "usable" to me;

Benefits (for me!)

The 2 blue "LED" indicators show the network traffic - so I can see that f.e. when moving a fader on the X32 console the OSC messages are acknowledged by X32automate and vice versa - good if there are any problems with data transfer,

In the "edit" section one could see the "amount" of messages that have occured in a timeframe (evt. with markers for start/end position). A "filter" to work/show only EQ messages, FX or so would be helpfull too.

Please don't understand me wrong: X32automate is surely a cool peace of software using the x32/wing to make a fully automated mix using the console hardware possibilities! Maybe I am too stupid or inexperienced to use the software ;) I realize that the main function of storing and "playing" the OSC messages exactly is time critical, but showing the network traffic or visualize it is not and perhaps could be done in another thread so that the main thread is not disturbed?!

Only my 2 cents at the moment - please do not take this as criticism!

Greetings
Deffe
MJKlein
Site Admin

Re: My 2 cents on X32Automate

Post by MJKlein »

How would that information help you create better mixes?

Edit: Come on man, you are not stupid!
湖口鄉新竹縣台灣 Hukou Township, Hsinchu County, Taiwan
Behringer X32/Dante + Soundcraft Ghost + X32ReaperAutoMate
English/中文
This site is hosted at Dathorn: https://dathorn.com/index.php?r=489
https://www.youtube.com/@phoenixmediaforge
pmaillot

Post by pmaillot »

Deffe wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:55 pm I am fiddling around with x32automate and I (personally) am missing a visual response in using x32automate - perhaps I am the only one but maybe others would find it helpfull too:

I've made a little example how the GUI would be more "usable" to me;

Benefits (for me!)

The 2 blue "LED" indicators show the network traffic - so I can see that f.e. when moving a fader on the X32 console the OSC messages are acknowledged by X32automate and vice versa - good if there are any problems with data transfer,

In the "edit" section one could see the "amount" of messages that have occured in a timeframe (evt. with markers for start/end position). A "filter" to work/show only EQ messages, FX or so would be helpfull too.

Please don't understand me wrong: X32automate is surely a cool peace of software using the x32/wing to make a fully automated mix using the console hardware possibilities! Maybe I am too stupid or inexperienced to use the software ;) I realize that the main function of storing and "playing" the OSC messages exactly is time critical, but showing the network traffic or visualize it is not and perhaps could be done in another thread so that the main thread is not disturbed?!

Only my 2 cents at the moment - please do not take this as criticism!

Greetings
Deffe
No problem; I (as many here I guess) mix with my ears, not with visual cues. And I think this is what really matters. I could care less if there's "too much of this, or a slight distortion, or whatever" as long as my ears and my body tell me the mix feels good.
You nevertheless get visual cues with the AutoMate programs as the console faders (and other controls) will move along your already recorded data. That helps you in the process.

As to the network traffic or CPU usage... AutoMate use typically less than 2% of network traffic, even when moving 10 faders up and down like crazy. Same for the CPU resources, it is typically below 5%, even with plenty of changes taking place. Not worth placing a metering system that will take more CPU than the automation process itself.

Plus the whole idea behind the AutoMate applications is to mix with the console, not having to check your PC all the time. You should typically launch the program, and forget about the PC, unless you need to explicitly save your data or in case there's a message from the app. The actual work is *at the mixing desk*.

-Patrick
MJKlein
Site Admin

Post by MJKlein »

As I have said numerous times, I put the keyboard drawer away and I hide the AutoMate UI until I need to make edits.
湖口鄉新竹縣台灣 Hukou Township, Hsinchu County, Taiwan
Behringer X32/Dante + Soundcraft Ghost + X32ReaperAutoMate
English/中文
This site is hosted at Dathorn: https://dathorn.com/index.php?r=489
https://www.youtube.com/@phoenixmediaforge

Return to “AutoMate Support”