UMC404HD - Inputs receiving signal from Phones output causing feedback

BigBucks

UMC404HD - Inputs receiving signal from Phones output causing feedback

Post by BigBucks »

I recently bought another UMC404HD after having my first one for 6 years. I have encountered a problem where I am trying to record guitars with high gain tones and there is signal coming from the Phones output causing some feedback and unwanted noise on my recordings. I thought this might be an issue with headphone bleed but the problem still happens when I have nothing else connected to the interface besides power and headphones. I am only powering the interface from USB as I currently don't have the correct power adapter to connect to the interface but I cant imagine this to be a problem.

This is highly unusual as I have never encountered this with my previous interface through 6 years of use. Any help would be greatly appreciated as it is really holding up my workflow. Thanks
kmitchell

Re: UMC404HD - Inputs receiving signal from Phones output causing feedback

Post by kmitchell »

@BigBucks Welcome to the forums. While I haven't seen this specifically on the 404HD, I've seem it a few times on other devices. The typical cause is poor fitment of the TRS headphone cable in the jack. Over or under insertion of the TRS can cause a slight short to ground (Sleeve) of the Ring on the TRS. The power adapter won't affect this as it's only needed when powering 4x mics that need phantom power.

Return to “Audio Interfaces”