AES50 Cables and ESD

Klaus

Re: AES50 Cables and ESD

Post by Klaus »

I think I found something...
Maybe I'm wrong, but how does the Ethercon make contact to the shielded RJ45 ?
I think it depends largely on the height of the RJ45 shield...
My new patch cords are about 1 mm higher than the old ones from Daetwyler ( Daetwyler doesn't sell them anymore... )

Anyone ?

Klaus
pvannatto

Post by pvannatto »

Hey @Klaus, there should be a tight physical contact between the RJ45 shield and the ethercon shell. The ones I made up recently, I had to wiggle and push the RJ45 end into the ethercon. It took a couple of minutes to get it through, due to the tightness.

What you should do is to use a multimeter (set on 200 ohms) and measure continuity between the ethercon shells. If you are not getting relatively low resistance (or high resistance), then it isn't going to protect from ESD.
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

Yeah,
I found that the old patch cords are unpredictable...
Going to replace them...

Thanks all
and best regards

Klaus
GaryH

Post by GaryH »

@Klaus @pvannatto Another little tip. Some premade Cat7/8 (maybe Cat6 too) have un stepped rj45's (for lack of a better description) You DO NOT want these for ethercon use. They will fit and make contact but can move in or out on you inside the ethercon which can effect the locking point and thus cause poor sync. When I say stepped, if you look at the rj45 from the side, there is an almost L shape to them, the un stepped type are smooth across the entire surface, one continuous level (no step). I ended up with a few of these and it took a while to see the problem. I just replaced them with the correct rj45. On Amazon they usually show the cable ends in the pictures and you can make sure the "step" is there.

unstepped

stepped
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

I had a look at the inside of the Ethercon, and there seems to be 'always a kind of a gap', depending on the plugs...
Just tried with a surrounding of conductive foil on the conductive surface of the plugs
so when inserted, a small force is needed...
This seems to solve the contact problem...
Anyways, I'm trying to get in contact with Neutrik, and ask for a solution...
BTW
The 'real' Ethercon with contacts to be used with the open reel cable make contact
by metal case 'everywhere inside the plug'
That's why my cables with these always work...

If here are patch cords that 'fit with contact - force'
on the metal case,
as Paul described, please let me know

Thanks a lot

best

Klaus
GaryH

Post by GaryH »

Can you replace the non authentic Neutrik ethercons with the real thing? They make a few types and at least 2 allow use with pre terminated cable. I also know there are other ethercon type connector makers out there and I would shy far away from them. You want Neutrik. I'm confused as to what the "patch cords" ethercons are and why they fit differently. The Neutrik NE8MX and NE8MX-B will fit over STP cables that already have rj45's attached. The worst case scenario with them being the need to trim (some cable manufacturers) anti snag molding so they fit in the ethercon properly. Trimming need is usually not the case with Cat6 and 5E but often the case with Cat7/8.
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

I have only Neutrik NE8MX added to the Daetwyler Patchcords...
These patchcords have plastic securing / protecting on top of the latch, and that, I had to take away when I installed the NE8MX
At the time I made these, then, I just slipped the NE8MX on and secured with the included clam...
Never thought of 'the case isn't going to make tight contact with the RJ45'...
That Daetwyler RJ45 is indeed not as high as it should be....thus the contact problems.

Please advice which shielded patch cord is fitting tight and making contact to the Ethercon NE8MX housing,
so I can mount and forgett... :D

Right now I am using
https://www.conrad.de/de/p/logilink-cq3 ... 43372.html

Thanks a lot
and best regards

Klaus
Last edited by Klaus on Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GaryH

Post by GaryH »

I almost always replace the stock rj45's with my own shielded (pass-through design) rj45's so I'm not sure what stock cable i would recommend. I am a big fan of Empanar cat8, both flat and round. That said they need substantial trimming to work with the rj45's they come with. It can be done ok, I have done it more than a few times but it's tedious. If I need shorter cables I will often keep both stock ends and trim them to fit an ethercon when the cable is cut, putting new rj45's on one end of the cut cables. I end up with two cables with stock (trimmed) rj45 on one side and replaced rj45's on the other ends. Honestly quicker for me these days to just put new ones on and it also allows the option of using ethercons for non terminated cable. Like this

I also have several long runs of this cat 8 I really like. It is really well made and very flexible-and cheap enough.

If you look at the pic below, you need to trim all the green between the black arrows, you have to go slowly and carefully. I used a sharp box cutter. The "gold" part will fit tightly and securely in an ethercon shell and makes contact 100%.

BTW I have three 100 ft reels of this and have tested them to work for the full 300 feet (interconnected with 2 NE8FF's). Worked 100% with aes50 and even passed phantom power without a hitch. I can't guarantee results for others but I have used them for well over a year now without issue.
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

Sorry,
which
>own shielded (pass-through design) rj45's
are you ref ?
Thank you !
Klaus
GaryH

Post by GaryH »

I have used a few different types but these work quite well. They accept wider diameter cable. If you can get a tool ]that compresses and cuts the excess wire at the same time it also helps.

I use this for securing the cable shields. I cut the width in half. I use about a 2 inch length and wrap the shield/ground around the cable outer cover, with about 1/2 inch wide x 2 inch long copper tape piece over that. I used to think that was not that great a way of grounding until I saw a very high end cable maker use it. I used to solder the ground which is quite fine to do but also tedious. The copper tape makes 360 degree contact with the inner rj45 metal case when pushed up enough into the rj45 and then crimped. I strip extra length and do 1 wire at a time into the pass through rj45, It ends up quicker for me like that and a solid way to make sure the order is correct. If it screws up just re order them.

Return to “Stageboxes”