XR18 lost all busses except main during gig

M/X Air Digital Mixer Series
Peter Z

XR18 lost all busses except main during gig

Post by Peter Z »

Had an open air gig with my band yesterday. Soundcheck went well. There was a second band and during their soundcheck I lost all monitor busses. The MR app showed healthy signal on the meters as did the meters on Mixing Station but all four monitors were quiet.

I took my backup XR18, loaded the scene and monitors were back again. During the third set monitors were quiet again. same situation with the backup mixer. The backup mixer spent 6 years in the case and was only used once to test it. It’s practically new. Hard to imagine that both mixers failed on the same day with the same failure.
Is it a bug in the software?

Con someone help me with some information?
Thank you
Peter
kgallen

Re: XR18 lost all busses except main during gig

Post by kgallen »

Not a bug I know of (although I have XR16).

Have the mixers recovered off site or do they seem broken? Could it be that there has been a cabling issue or some short to a mains or high voltage that has blown the output stages of both mixers?
Peter Z

Post by Peter Z »

Thank you kgallen for taking time to answer. I didn't find the time to test the mixers after returning from the gig. I will do that later this week. Since I ran the monitors from auxes 1 to 4 with different cables, I don't think the cables were the culprits. High voltages spikes is a possibility, but there was no thunderstorm anywhere close and all the other digital equipment was ok. I just don't know.
kgallen

Post by kgallen »

Seems strange they both failed in the same way.

If they test out fine, that's good news but then very confusing!

If they are hardware-broken then something bad has happened either with the cables or the amps or active monitor boxes that were used - back feeding some nasty voltages over the audio cables to the XR18.

Sorry, I'm not adding much to your situation - other than "no, you're not going mad"!
kmitchell

Post by kmitchell »

@Peter Z If you want to post your scene file, I'd be happy to load it up on one of my XR18's and run some tests. I can't imagine what settings could cause this but I've seen stranger things.
Peter Z

Post by Peter Z »

Dear kmitchel,
thanks a lot for the offer. I’m quite busy now with my ‘day job’ and have a recording session over the weekend. I will check both mixers next week. If I don’t find the problem I will ask for your help then.

Nice day
Peter
Peter Z

Post by Peter Z »

kgallen wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 1:47 pm …. you're not going mad"!
Hopefully! 😂

I used the XR18 since they hit the market and never had problems. It’s really mystic.
dontaskrandy1

Post by dontaskrandy1 »

Some kind of safety preset that mutes channels after being dormant for a certain amount of time?
kmitchell

Post by kmitchell »

@dontaskrandy1 Welcome to the community.

I wish it was that simple but I know of no such feature in the XAir firmware.
Robsinfl

Post by Robsinfl »

Did you ever figure out what caused this? Reason I ask is out band was at a gig yesterday and the monitors kept cutting out on aux 1 thru 4.

Return to “M/X-Air Digital Mixers”