Installing a Dante card to the Wing internal slot.

Everything to do with the Dante Audio Networking aspect of the digital eco-system
andreyco

Re: Installing a Dante card to the Wing internal slot.

Post by andreyco »

@GaryH I tried as you suggested: a direct connection from my computer to the dante expansion card. Both devices are supposed to use APIPA addresses (169.254.0.1-169.254.255.254, with the subnet mask of 255.255.0.0) and be discoverable to one another.
No such luck. Neither Dante Controller nor Dante Updater see the Dante device on the network. It doesn't appear to be in Fail Safe mode either based on what I'm reading from Audinate.
I also attempted a new network with a DHCP server with just these two devices, and saw the same result. I'm not sure what to try next to get the Dante device visible in any of the tools.
GaryH

Post by GaryH »

@andreyco What are the devices? So you are using dhcp adresses? Maybe try to set each to a simple static address using 255.255.255.0 and static ip for both. Say 192.168.1.32 for the Wing and 192.168.1.20 for the PC. Did you run the Dante registration utility after you flashed your card?
MJKlein
Site Admin

Post by MJKlein »

I don't know if this is relevant but if my PC isn't connected to the internet, and/or I use a VPN, it can seriously mess with the IPs on my audio network.
湖口鄉新竹縣台灣 Hukou Township, Hsinchu County, Taiwan
Behringer X32/Dante + Soundcraft Ghost + X32ReaperAutoMate
English/中文
This site is hosted at Dathorn: https://dathorn.com/index.php?r=489
https://www.youtube.com/@phoenixmediaforge
andreyco

Post by andreyco »

@GaryH When using the WING-DANTE expansion card it has its own primary and secondary network ports. This is what I'm using. There is no way to configure network settings for the expansion card, only through Dante Controller once it is visible. There is no way for me to set a static/manual IP for the expansion card. The settings for the WING's built-in network is irrelevant in this case, since it is only used when the B2/B3 card is installed internally. Mine is not. With that said, My console is on FW 2.0 and doesn't boot into any kind of registration mode when turning on holding the Utility button.

Looking at the Dante Updater, it installed firmware for the model "wing-dante64". Looking at the firmware library there is the same version of firmware available for "wing64". Does anyone know which of these is for the expansion card and which one is for the internal module?
GaryH

Post by GaryH »

@andreyco EDIT 031724 I am now able to run the utility using Wing firmware 2.0 please disregard the info about downgrading of Wing 2.0 below.

Ok, sorry, I thought the utility worked with 2.0 also, and perhaps that is the issue…a bug in 2.0? Seems odd to me it was a requirement for one firmware version just below it and now not. A few other thoughts, downgrade the firmware temporarily, and try the registration utility, at this point nothing to lose in trying. BTW the Wing-Dante64 IS for the expansion card, Wing64 is for the internal card. Another idea (I’m striking out) I did something similar when I had both an internal and external card in at the same time. Run a short cable from your expansion card secondary port to one Wing data port and your pc into the Wing-Dante Primary port then try a static ip for the wing and pc? Might be time to ask Audinate directly how to resolve it.
Last edited by GaryH on Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
andreyco

Post by andreyco »

@GaryH Interesting note about the requirement to perform registration. Was this true for using the expansion card as well? In my reading and attempt to use the internal slot it seemed like that was the only case when that was necessary. I was never able to get to the registration screen with the WING 2.0 FW and just reverted to using the expansion card instead.
GaryH

Post by GaryH »

@andreyco EDIT: 031724 I was able to run the utility in 2.0 I reported not being able to in error-sorry.

Regarding your V3 situation, I checked with Audinate and was told to try going in the DC, updater advanced setup section, and change the override setting to roll back instead. Worth a shot. I (as previosly mentioned) don't have a V3 card to try to flash it with 4.2.7.7. I would be very curious if your outcome is what anyone will find...and that would be a very bad thing indeed. I guess I should be happy I have a Brooklyn II card.
Last edited by GaryH on Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
GaryH

Post by GaryH »

@andreyco I also submitted a ticket to MT asking about the "brick" with BK3 cards and the reg utility no longer working...we shall see. I want to know what the deal is as much as you (well almost :-)) Hope that "override" setting did the trick!
andreyco

Post by andreyco »

@GaryH I will try the Dante Updater advanced settings next time I can get my hands on the board (a day or two), but in the meantime Sweetwater is shipping out a replacement card for me. I spoke with their support line and while they were knowledgeable they didn't spend much time troubleshooting the specifics as we have discussed in this forum.
GaryH

Post by GaryH »

@andreyco Wow, that's great on the replaced card! At least your situation gets resolved. Did they ask to send the other card back? Or they are sending the whole Wing-Dante card, frame and all? Sweetwater is tops. I can tell you from an early response from MT that they were not even aware of 4.2.7.7. When asked for more details I supplied the situation and actual firmware and now no response from them. The fact that they responded originally in a day was a surprise to me so I will be patient.

ALSO when in the updater section of DC I noticed that in the advanced settings you can only select one option> I thought that you could select both Allow rollback and Allow override at the same time but it is one or the other. This seems quite hopeful to me for you to get back your card functions.

Return to “Dante Audio Networking”