Installing a Dante card to the Wing internal slot.

Everything to do with the Dante Audio Networking aspect of the digital eco-system
Synetos

Re: Installing a Dante card to the Wing internal slot.

Post by Synetos »

I didnt try resolving it any further. I just am using the Dante Card in the external slot. I decided not to "over-react" and liquidate my Dante gear. Running Dante and USB together has merit.
GaryH

Post by GaryH »

@Synetos Glad to hear it! There is a lot of new info in this thread since you were last on, should you decide to "dig in" again. The basics still apply though. Know which type card you own, Brooklyn 2 or 3. Know which file to flash that applies to that card and location. Wing-Dante64 is the firmware for the external and Wing64 is for AOIP (internal) There are internal and external versions for BOTH Brooklyn 2 and Brooklyn 3. FWIW the latest Brooklyn3 (firmware v4.2.7.7) was confirmed working for the internal card. No confirmation with the external version (yet)

ALSO: We figured out the issue with the greyed out clocking business! You need to run the Dante Registration utility and register your card to the Wing.

How to register a Dante Card:

1. Start the console with the Utility button pressed.
2. Go to setup/general and touch the wrench icon/options area in the CONSOLE section,
3. Enter Mod-Dante and press apply to register an internal module
4. Enter Mod-None to deregister the internal module.
5. Restart the console
Last edited by GaryH on Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
stufenbau

Post by stufenbau »

Hi @GaryH

I just read your comment regarding FW v2.0 not having the "utility". I am running FW v2.0 and was able to register the module as described. So, there was no need for me to downgrade first.
Maybe you were referring to something else, then please ignore my comment.

And thanks for your continued support on this topic.
GaryH wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:41 pm @Synetos Glad to hear it! There is a lot of new info in this thread since you were last on, should you decide to "dig in" again. The basics still apply though. Know which type card you own, Brooklyn 2 or 3. Know which file to flash that applies to that card and location. Wing-Dante64 is the firmware for the external and Wing64 is for AOIP (internal) There are internal and external versions for BOTH Brooklyn 2 and Brooklyn 3. FWIW the latest Brooklyn3 (firmware v4.2.7.7) was confirmed working for the internal card. No confirmation with the external version (yet)

ALSO: We figured out the issue with the greyed out clocking business! You need to run the Dante Registration utility and register your card to the Wing. Good news and bad. Wing firmware 2.0 does not appear to have that utility-I believe they forgot it. So you need to use 1.13.9, run the utility and register your Dante card. Then you can upgrade back to Wing 2.0 again.

How to register a Dante Card:

1. Start the console with the Utility button pressed
2. Go to setup/general and touch the options field next to console,
3. Enter Mod-Dante and press apply to register an internal module
4. Enter Mod-None deregister the internal module.
5. Restart the console
GaryH

Post by GaryH »

@stufenbau

EDIT: OK I AM now able to run it, not sure what I did previously that was different-I will update my posts to reflect this!! Thx for pointing it out!
andreyco

Post by andreyco »

@GaryH What was the trick for the utility boot on FW 2.0? I'm holding the Utility button as I flip the switch on the console, but it just boots up normally.
GaryH

Post by GaryH »

@andreyco It is a bit subtle but when you bootup with the utility button pressed in, when you then touch the setup button (under the general tab) you will see l(iterally right on the grey CONSOLE box) a little wrench icon with word "options" below it. Tap that and then type in the commands "Mod-Dante" or "Mod-None" (minus the quotes) whichever applies. When done if you turn on the console normally and look at the same setup/general/console area there is no wrench icon to touch. I don't think the powers that be really wanted us to be messing about in there. It is also not as I recall it was when using 1.13.9 but I'm too lazy to downgrade and check. :-) I also edited my previous posts to hopefully clarify it a bit better. If someone comes along later looking for help and this info gets buried a few pages back it could get very confusing trying to sort it.

andreyco

Post by andreyco »

@GaryH Thank you for that! I guess I didn't know what to expect for a "boot menu" as I recall something more obvious with the X32/M32. I see the wrench to enter the "mod-dante" and "mod-none" commands.

I ran one more test with the broken WING-DANTE B3 in the expansion slot by plugging directly into it with my laptop and running a packet capture with wireshark. Based on Audinate's documentation and training, Dante hardware will work without a DHCP server using APIPA address space and ARP tables on the device. Wireshark shows that there is NO network communication happening from the B3 Dante card in the expansion slot. There is no way to communicate with the B3 card at this time, as it is completely unresponsive to any network communication.

I received my replacement WING-DANTE and will be installing it in the expansion slot. They did ask for the original WING-DANTE to be returned, but I will try installing it into the internal slot before I send it back to them.
GaryH

Post by GaryH »

@andreyco Well perhaps it is really bricked and that as they say, is that. Interested to know if the last test process you describe works now with the new card or not. Glad you have a new one at the very least. Still waiting on the "official" MT response after them asking me for the Wing firmware and Wing-Dante firmware versions in question. I gave them that. It's been several days.
andreyco

Post by andreyco »

I ended up not going forward with installing the B3 card to the internal slot, just sent it back to Sweetwater. Coincidentally, MT support finally reached out. After a bit of back and forth they state "Based on the information provided this would appear to be a hardware fault with the WING-DANTE and it's going to require a service repair." and referred me to Sweetwater for warranty repair/replacement. My follow-up response is if anyone at MT has tested and validated 4.2.7.7 on this card in the expansion slot. I have my replacement, and I'm holding off on the update because I suspect it will brick once again. When my warranty is over I don't want to be stuck on an old version of the firmware.

Update: I heard back from MT confirming that they have successfully tested the update on their end, and have other customers who have no experienced any issues. Reached out to Sweetwater to make sure they have my back if I need another replacement. I'm going to try the update once again and see what happens.

Update 2: The firmware update to 4.2.7.7 was "successful" again. It worked, until the WING was restarted. Now I have another bricked card.
technopolizei

Post by technopolizei »

Hello everyone! @ I have same issue...
Have you already found a solution to this problem? Yesterday I updated the Dante Card via DC and after turning off the board it not recognizing... In Dante Updater also not view my Card.

Return to “Dante Audio Networking”