Installing a Dante card to the Wing internal slot.

Everything to do with the Dante Audio Networking aspect of the digital eco-system
GaryH

Re: Installing a Dante card to the Wing internal slot.

Post by GaryH »

@stufenbau I saw, and then commented on, what I thought was the wrong firmware file. I think I may have misread your post and so I deleted that comment. Asking instead, Is the 4.2.4.8 version the AOIP version? If not it may be the problem. The Wing-Dante version has a 4.2.4.8 file as well for Brooklyn 3 and would be the wrong firmware file for internal use..
stufenbau

Post by stufenbau »

Hi @GaryH thanks for asking. I used the AoIP version ("AoIP-DANTE_Module-Firmware_64x64-bk3_4.2.4.8").

The card is labelled as "BROOKLYN III PCB REV 2" in case you are insterested to know.

I did some more tests and found the following:

1. When I install the PCB in the Dante Wing expansion card (with which it came originally), I can see the Dante icon next to the USB stick symbol in the upper portion of the UI.
2. When I install the PCB in the module slot inside the Wing, the icon does not appear and the module is greyed out (as I already wrote in my previous comment) and the source and output group shows "MODULE".
3. When I install the (BROOKLYN II REV 4V1) PCB from my X32 as the module, the source and output group shows "DANTE" (side note: and I can actually transmit audio via this PCB, but not on channel 33+).
4. When I flash the original PCB from the Dante Wing expansion card with the current firmware v4.2.7.7 ("wing-dante64_BK3_4.2.7.7.dnt") the card also works but is still greyed out as with the older firmware.

GaryH wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:55 pm @stufenbau I saw, and then commented on, what I thought was the wrong firmware file. I think I may have misread your post and so I deleted that comment. Asking instead, Is the 4.2.4.8 version the AOIP version? If not it may be the problem. The Wing-Dante version has a 4.2.4.8 file as well for Brooklyn 3 and would be the wrong firmware file for internal use..
GaryH

Post by GaryH »

@stufenbau Well…I guess this could be a bug with the Brooklyn 3 card, perhaps even likely. That said I happened to remember something that was introduced in an older firmware version. From the pdf with Wing firmware 1.13.9. It might be worth trying (no clue if it will even work). Anyway my thoughts are that this Dante III module is not registered in the console?? Or needs to be?

I was suspicious when this first was introduced as some way to stop us from using non Behringer Brooklyn 2 cards internally, but it did not. Mine is a Kevic (Korean) original and continues to work perfectly. The reality COULD be that they knew the Brooklyn 3 cards were at hand and they needed to be "registered" to be used, or in some way the process of doing it is specific to a Brooklyn 3 card. OR maybe the older version has taken over the registered status so the 3 version can’t? I'm speculating here. At any rate see pic below on how to register or unregister a Dante card.

BTW I don’t have a B3 module, only B2 so I can’t try it…with my B2 card the choice of using Dante as the clock source is intact.
Also, that is a cool thing being able to flash an X-Dante 32 ch card for Wing use. I am a little surprised more users have not done so as an alternative. 32 Dante ch's could be enough for many situations. I also found out about this in my early "testing" of different internal cards.

stufenbau

Post by stufenbau »

Hi @GaryH

Thank you for your hint on registering the module. Once I did it, the module name correctly shows "DANTE" and it not greyed out any more. Additionally, now it is possible to select Dante as the clock source.

So after registering the module, I can confirm (if anyone else is interested):
"BROOKLYN 3 PCB REV 2" (a module that I purchased as part of an original "Wing Dante Card") is fully working. I am running Dante firmware v4.2.4.8 ("wing-dante64").

Thank you very much!
GaryH wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:37 am @stufenbau Well…I guess this could be a bug with the Brooklyn 3 card, perhaps even likely. That said I happened to remember something that was introduced in an older firmware version. From the pdf with Wing firmware 1.13.9. It might be worth trying (no clue if it will even work). Anyway my thoughts are that this Dante III module is not registered in the console?? Or needs to be?

I was suspicious when this first was introduced as some way to stop us from using non Behringer Brooklyn 2 cards internally, but it did not. Mine is a Kevic (Korean) original and continues to work perfectly. The reality COULD be that they knew the Brooklyn 3 cards were at hand and they needed to be "registered" to be used, or in some way the process of doing it is specific to a Brooklyn 3 card. OR maybe the older version has taken over the registered status so the 3 version can’t? I'm speculating here. At any rate see pic below on how to register or unregister a Dante card.

BTW I don’t have a B3 module, only B2 so I can’t try it…with my B2 card the choice of using Dante as the clock source is intact.
Also, that is a cool thing being able to flash an X-Dante 32 ch card for Wing use. I am a little surprised more users have not done so as an alternative. 32 Dante ch's could be enough for many situations. I also found out about this in my early "testing" of different internal cards.

GaryH

Post by GaryH »

@stufenbau Great! Now we know this needs doing (with regard to Brooklyn 3 internal use anyway and maybe Brooklyn 2). At least if installing an internal AOIP Dante card AFTER Wing firmware 1.13.9. My card (B2) was already in it when I updated the Wing back then so maybe that is why I didn't have the same problem. I will change my "how to" and include this info as well. Thanks for informing us it worked! The real issue here is they don't really want anyone to do the install themselves and therefore we don't need to know that is a necessary step for full functioning. Now we do! Glad you are up and running.
GaryH

Post by GaryH »

EDIT-Please see:

https://behringer.world/viewtopic.php?t=252

***It was becoming too difficult to keep this version (same post) updated**
Last edited by GaryH on Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:44 pm, edited 21 times in total.
stufenbau

Post by stufenbau »

Hi @GaryH

Thank you for updating your post about the installation of the Dante module. There is something you might want to add.

Today, I received another X-Dante card for an X32 Rack I am currently building. And that card came with a BROOKLYN 3 PCB REV 2 (v4.2.4.8, Xilinx Zynq XC7Z015) module (the same module as the Wing Dante card I just installed), whereas my other and older 2021 X-Dante card came with a BROOKLYN II PCB REV 4V1 module (v4.08, Xilinx Spartan-6 XC6SLX25).
So, anyone interested in upgrading the Wing with a Dante module could consider buying the cheaper X-Dante card and still get 64x64 Dante channels (after flashing the firmware and registering the module).
It is not the world but where I live that saves ma a 100 CHF which currently equates to roughly 105EUR/90GBP/110USD.
Additional information: the newer card has a dark green PCB and a dark gray metal cover/chassis (same colour as the Wing cards) whereas the older card has a light/lime green PCB and the lighter grey cover/chassis (like my older X32 Rack from 2021). But that might not always be the case.

Regards and thanks again for your effort in documenting the Wing internals ...
GaryH wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:26 pm @stufenbau Great! Now we know this needs doing (with regard to Brooklyn 3 internal use anyway and maybe Brooklyn 2). At least if installing an internal AOIP Dante card AFTER Wing firmware 1.13.9. My card (B2) was already in it when I updated the Wing back then so maybe that is why I didn't have the same problem. I will change my "how to" and include this info as well. Thanks for informing us it worked! The real issue here is they don't really want anyone to do the install themselves and therefore we don't need to know that is a necessary step for full functioning. Now we do! Glad you are up and running.
GaryH

Post by GaryH »

@stufenbau Funny, see my new post about Wing dante...new firmware as of 2/22/24 for it too...I better get updating the info :-)

New X-Dante is still 32 ch right?

New for X-Dante is also version 4.2.7.7 released 2/22/24
GaryH

Post by GaryH »

I just updated the recent info from here today, and put it in the proper thread, somehow we got talking firmware here in this thread as opposed to physical internal card placement which is its title. Probably my fault, so apologies to all concerned.
stufenbau

Post by stufenbau »

Hi @GaryH

Yes, the X-Dante is still 32ch and the Brooklyn 3 included module on the card has a 32x32 configuration, so forget my previous comment. And sorry for messing up the thread with slightly off-topic information. Will be more careful in the future.
GaryH wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:00 pm @stufenbau Funny, see my new post about Wing dante...new firmware as of 2/22/24 for it too...I better get updating the info :-)

New X-Dante is still 32 ch right?

New for X-Dante is also version 4.2.7.7 released 2/22/24

Return to “Dante Audio Networking”