Installing a Dante card to the Wing internal slot.

Everything to do with the Dante Audio Networking aspect of the digital eco-system
GaryH

Re: Installing a Dante card to the Wing internal slot.

Post by GaryH »

Ok so thanks to the nudge from @thunfisch I was inspired to just say to hell with it and.....took a sledge hammer to ALL of it: Wing, X32, X-Dante cards, Wing Dante. I've had enough! :( (not really)

I WAS inspired to just put in the Wing-Dante expansion card without first removing the internal card and was (very happily) rewarded with success! Delighted to report that the Wing-Dante card is not damaged or DOA and works perfectly!! @MJKlein This probably means the 64 ch Wing-Dante card with its native firmware file will NOT work in the X-Dante expansion frame since I now know that it works properly when used as intended. I also know its default setting is 48K (what the X-Dante card in my system was also set for) and in switched mode. So clocking wasn't the problem either. This likely means that it would need to be flashed to the X-Dante firmware to work IF it will work at all then either. So answering one question asks 2 more: Will it work if flashed and if it does work will it then be seen as a 32 ch card or a 64 ch card. My guess is it would just be 32 but...I am at the moment not quite ready to try flashing it.

On the other hand I am also VERY happy to report that BOTH cards work at the same time in the Wing, internal and external! 128 ch's of Dante. They are 2 separate devices and are listed as such The show up in routing as 2 devices and either one can also be set as Master clock! I don't see myself keeping things like this but I am VERY impressed that this is possible. You would need to run a cable from both (primary) slots but its really so cool IMO. They could each be set up as 64 different things from Wing world sources if you wanted. It's kind of mind boggling really. My reason for ever wanting the internal card was to retain use of the SD recorders and still have dante, and it still is. This however could be huge for some users. I guess there still could be issues I'm not yet seeing, I have not really tried out too much with them yet. Fun stuff!
pmaillot

Post by pmaillot »

Way cool!
MJKlein
Site Admin

Post by MJKlein »

GaryH wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:24 am On the other hand I am also VERY happy to report that BOTH cards work at the same time in the Wing, internal and external! 128 ch's of Dante.
Excuse the noise @GaryH. I bumped my head on the floor falling out of my chair. This could be huge in the broadcasting world, or even a large studio with multiple tracking rooms. Can you take channels from each and mix/match, or is it 1 card active at a time?

I would love to see a mobile phone video of the routing screen and selecting some of those sources.
湖口鄉新竹縣台灣 Hukou Township, Hsinchu County, Taiwan
Behringer X32/Dante + Soundcraft Ghost + X32ReaperAutoMate
English/中文
This site is hosted at Dathorn: https://dathorn.com/index.php?r=489
https://www.youtube.com/@phoenixmediaforge
thunfisch

Post by thunfisch »

Nice to see the confirmation of what I was guessing :) Yes, 128ch dante split over 2 connections is really powerful. Would be interesting to see if you can attach 2 separate Dante networks, one on each card, and have both cards act as a master clock for their respective network, clocked from the internal Wing clockref. That would be super useful to use the Wing as a routing matrix between two dante networks as well (think festival situations with guest engineers bringing their own console). But also in broadcast this is super useful - depending on how you set things up and how many camera positions you have, you might actually exceed the 64ch count, so being able to go to 128ch is really helpful.
wing+dante, xr18, midas dl16+dl32
systems engineer by day, live sound, streaming & video by night
GaryH

Post by GaryH »

Both a Wing-Dante external and a Kevic internal card installed in a Wing at the same time. A few pics anyway (not really set up well yet) but wanted to show at least some things...very simple set up for this...no patience to try a large one just yet for several reasons.

GaryH

Post by GaryH »

@MJKlein yes you can make subscriptions from one to any other, both running at the same time. it may require creating multicast streams in some cases. My little example didn’t show too much craziness in that department but it can be done.@thunfischI didn’t try 2 separate networks but with 2 computers running 2 versions of Dante Controller one each running to a card, I’m pretty sure it would work just fine. I left the Wing as master which would allow either to run the Dante network independently on each computer (as preferred leader and allow external clock). I have a Mac laptop so I can test this at some point pretty soon. I have not thought through the redundant setting on one or the other or even both and what that might get you. All of which at this point is well beyond my immediate needs.
MJKlein
Site Admin

Post by MJKlein »

I have to say that is one of the coolest things I've ever seen.
湖口鄉新竹縣台灣 Hukou Township, Hsinchu County, Taiwan
Behringer X32/Dante + Soundcraft Ghost + X32ReaperAutoMate
English/中文
This site is hosted at Dathorn: https://dathorn.com/index.php?r=489
https://www.youtube.com/@phoenixmediaforge
curtbl

Post by curtbl »

OK so I wrote the below before seeing the previous post from @GaryH as to his success....
Congratulations and Happy days and great news. so my question is what are the network configuration differences between the internal and external cards. I would be interesting if the cards are on two different dante networks how the crossover would work. This could be a major feature to go between networks.

@GaryH So you have been having some fun! While I agree with @thunfisch I might take the time to remove the Kevic and then put the Wing Dante in the external port just to totally confirm the functionality of the Wing Dante without any internal cards. I hope you aren't one of the lucky ones where the Wing dante card has issues out of the box. Although, cannot say for sure, it appears the issues were with the Wing Card not the Brooklynii card...

If it was me I would test with the Kevic out then test with the external WingDante installed and finally remove the BrooklynII from the Wing Dante and install internally to see if it works correctly there. You should be able to flash either behringer Wing firmware to the BrooklynII once installed internally.

By the way, I do the install differently than you..... As we know the knobs and faders are sensitive and can be broken off if not careful.... So I do a couch with soft cushions and a very soft blanket on top of that and lay the Wing face down on the blankets... then remove the ton of screws and tilt up the black base instead of the face...... I also make sure that i am putting NO weight on face of the wing while it is face down.... Have done it no less than 5 times now trying the 8x8, NY64 and the Kevic and then the 8x8 again and finally reinstalling the Kevic reflashed for Wing Internal. I'm more paranoid about the knobs and faders than blowing a card....

My 2.5 cents!
Curt
GaryH

Post by GaryH »

@curtbl

"...Congratulations and Happy days and great news. so my question is what are the network configuration differences between the internal and external cards. I would be interesting if the cards are on two different dante networks how the crossover would work. This could be a major feature to go between networks."

That's the next test before I settle on a config. Not sure where I'll land just yet. More questions arise as I ponder it all. Fun though!
GaryH

Post by GaryH »

@curtbl To answer more specifically, I don't really see any network differences between the 2 card versions. My setup is using the Wing itself as the master clock with external Wing-Dante as preferred leader allowing external sync. The internal card at this point set as follower. If I just connect internal (or external) only it then is set to be leader with external sync. I ran a cable from each card's primary port to my switch along with a cable from my X-Dante card primary port and one directly from my PC to the same switch. The secondary port of X-Dante runs to the network port of the x32 mixer. I can access M32-Edit and Wing Mixing Station from my pc no problem with this setup. Additionally so far I was able to access the internal card with Mac laptop while the external was connected to all the above via PC. If I dedicate a switch to each card (not yet tried) and run a cable from the primary to the switch and secondary port to the opposite card's switch not sure what I will see. Not sure I will try it either as all of this was never my intent, I have gone off the deep end :-) and already miss the SD card.

Return to “Dante Audio Networking”