Installing a Dante card to the Wing internal slot.

Everything to do with the Dante Audio Networking aspect of the digital eco-system
MJKlein
Site Admin

Re: Installing a Dante card to the Wing internal slot.

Post by MJKlein »

All this makes the decision to go WING a lot more attractive to anyone with an X32 and Dante. The Brooklyn II card can be installed in the WING and flashed for 64 channels. Wow....
湖口鄉新竹縣台灣 Hukou Township, Hsinchu County, Taiwan
Behringer X32/Dante + Soundcraft Ghost + X32ReaperAutoMate
English/中文
This site is hosted at Dathorn: https://dathorn.com/index.php?r=489
https://www.youtube.com/@phoenixmediaforge
GaryH

Post by GaryH »

It will be interesting to see what an X32 does with the Wing card. The reason I will try it FIRST this way is I have a working 64 ch card in my Wing and to replace it will require a major technical interlude. The X-Dante card just slides in/out so it will be a pretty simple and painless swap over. Now is the perfect time to try it. Honestly I can see several possible outcomes. The first (and I fear most likely) is the X32 just plain doesn't recognize it at all and that's ballgame. It's pretty clear to me the X32 itself can rout no more than 32 ch (32 card out and 32 card in). Dante Controller recognition will be the key. I'm also pretty sure the X-Dante card even if flashed to Wing64 will ever be any more than 32 ch's.
curtbl

Post by curtbl »

@GaryH well we are all waiting on the edge of our seats.....
I believe you are correct it will potentially work but limited to only 32 channels, question is which 32 channels?
As I go back in time to the 8x8 that I first tried in the Wing the 8 channels that came up in the wing were not in channel order and I had to find them all over the 64 channel Wing matrix. So will be interesting....
And the other thing is the X32 card a 44k or 48k card out of the box, I don't know. but the wing card should still work to some level with the X32 at 48k, without flashing, I believe or think or actually have not clue it's just a guess based on my 8x8 experience.
My system Wing and internal flashed Dante card with DL32 has been stable as a rock utilizing approx 28 incoming dante channels and approx 11 dante outgoing channels.
Not sure now I will ever buy the Dante Wing, but @GaryH very interested, as you get time, to see if removing the Internal card and using the Dante Wing will give you different "networking" results or functions. Meaning will the networking functions of the Wing Dante card be different. As it is with my internal I get an IP address for the Dante Card and cannot assign one through Dante controller.... Will the Wing Dante card act differently?
Inquiring minds want to know!!! Have fun @GaryH !!
GaryH

Post by GaryH »

@curtbl as it turns out I will get it delivered today! However no time to work with it…maybe tomorrow I will try it in the xdante frame. My xdante is now set at 48, will be interesting.
GaryH

Post by GaryH »

Well folks....the mystery could be over...maybe. Not looking great at the very least! The X32 totally balks at the Wing-Dante card. Even aes50 sync was disrupted and thrown out of sync! Dante Controller doesn't see it at all in the X32! It occurs to me several possible reasons. 1) The W card is as @curtbl mentioned, at 44k by default and needs to be reconfigured. I can't without it being recognized, so it will need to first go into the Wing 2) It needs to reflashed to the X-Dante firmware period and I don't think I'm willing to risk that. 3) I fried it before it had a fighting chance (say it ain't so) 4) It came out of the box defective (say it ain't so again) The only way to rule out any of it is put it in the Wing to see what happens...which immediately brought up another question! If I leave my Kevic internal in and put in the Wing-Dante external too....do I get 128 ch's?...as 2 different Dante devices? (I doubt this but interesting anyway) Will either work at all with 2 cards installed. Yow....maybe best to leave that one alone for now. BUT even so just to try it as if It was Wing-Dante day one I need to unhook the Wing turn over, flip open the back and take out the other card first. That was fun once, now it's just more effort :-) I think I need to try it out as it was intended and make sure it does what it is supposed to before going forward. I would probably then flash it to Wing64 (internal) replace the Kevic with it and then try the next experiments with the Kevic and the X32. Honestly I think the most likely reason is the X32 can't use it unless it is a 32 ch Dante card (or a 64 ch card flashed as one, same difference....which means it's a no go. More to come. Wish it were more hopeful news.
Last edited by GaryH on Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RexBeckett

Post by RexBeckett »

That's a shame @GaryH but you always knew that might happen. I think you are wise to try the thing out in its intended role to make sure it is not DOA.
MJKlein
Site Admin

Post by MJKlein »

GaryH wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:44 am The only way to rule out any of it is put it in the Wing to see what happens.
Couldn't you put the X32 in 44.1 kHz mode?
湖口鄉新竹縣台灣 Hukou Township, Hsinchu County, Taiwan
Behringer X32/Dante + Soundcraft Ghost + X32ReaperAutoMate
English/中文
This site is hosted at Dathorn: https://dathorn.com/index.php?r=489
https://www.youtube.com/@phoenixmediaforge
GaryH

Post by GaryH »

@MJKlein I tried that...at this point I'm going to (I think anyway) take the Wing apart and then make sure the Wing-Dante is working. There is one other thing I could try if it is. I would try it first but I already put the X32 back together...paranoid the frame of the X-dante card was damaged in some way. It however, and the X-Dante card itself, work just fine. It just apparently doesn't like its brother much! I will mull it over a bit more before a major takedown. There could be an explanation I have not thought of yet.
thunfisch

Post by thunfisch »

GaryH wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:44 am which immediately brought up another question! If I leave my Kevic internal in and put in the Wing-Dante external too....do I get 128 ch's?...as 2 different Dante devices? (I doubt this but interesting anyway) Will either work at all with 2 cards installed. Yow....maybe best to leave that one alone for now.
I'm pretty sure that this would work, as each card is just another "expansion card" to the wing, and both cards would act as independent Dante devices on the network. I see absolutely no reason why this would not work.
wing+dante, xr18, midas dl16+dl32
systems engineer by day, live sound, streaming & video by night
GaryH

Post by GaryH »

Wow @thunfisch thanks, maybe I will try putting it in by just replacing the sd card!..much easier for sure than an internal removal first. Need to get motivated here again but I surely will :-)

Edit: I don’t really think the Wing Dante card got damaged or was DOA btw, I did enough swapping of X Dante, Kevic, Yamaha and other cards in and out of the Wing and the X32 to be fairly certain that just installing them would cause any harm. My best guess is an X32 can’t deal with a 64 ch card without it being flashed to 32 ch firmware. That or it needs to be reconfigured in a system that can first recognize it. Tomorrow I will try again…

Return to “Dante Audio Networking”