Routing or INI problem?

Support for the free app X32Reaper. This is not the forum for X32ReaperAutoMate.
Deffe

Routing or INI problem?

Post by Deffe »

I had to build a new pc with reaper / x32reaper - after fiddling around everything seems to work BUT one very strange thing happens and I have no idea what I am doing wrong:

I set up my reaper program with 32 tracks + 8 tracks aux/usb + 8 tracks fx ret + 16 tracks mixbus (not using dca and leaving it to 0 in x32reaper.ini)

Checking up with mixer view activated in reaper the communication is perfect - every move on every track corresponds both in reaper and x32

Now I added the sends to my track one (vocal) for all 16 mix bus tracks (all mixbus tracks are linked together for "stereo" use - maybe that is the problem? -see later)- checking it on track view and voila - every fade movement of the mix busses sends on fader view are shown in corresponding fader movements in reaper - great! (I have an x32 producer so i have to use the sends-on-fader function to see the send level for each track)

No at last I add a hardware out on track one (Vocal) to Card Out 1 - and now when moving the fader for mixbus 1 (and fader for mixbus 2 automatically moves too because linked together) the sends fader for mixbus 1 in reaper moves AND the hardware out fader too - but NOT the mixbus 2 fader as expected?!

And when moving the x32 fader for mixbus 3 on the x32 makes the sends fader for mixbus 2 in reaper starts moving?!

Seems that the hardware out setting "kills" the mixbus 2 connection? When deleting the hardware out for this track the mixbusses work well again!

This is very strange and I have absolutely no idea what I am doing wrong - can it be a routing error on the x32 or a wrong ini file parameter or a wrong track setting in reaper?

I hope that I could explain the problem correctly - I could make a short video clip to show the problem if it would help?!

Greetings and MANY thanks to patrick for this great peace of software!
Deffe

Solution found!

Post by Deffe »

I think I found the solution!

In the X32Reaper INI File the last parameter ("Bank size" as described in the documentation) seems not to be visible in the X32ReaperW app.
In my INI file it was set to "24" (in the original INI file set to "16"). Unfortunately there is no hint what this "Bank size" parameter is used for?!

I tested different values and setting it to "32" (the amount of reaper tracks before the FX Return tracks) in my case "solved" the problem!

Perhaps this will help others getting similar problems!

@Patrick: Would be nice if you could tell me, what this INI parameter is used for exactly and which value is recommended
pmaillot

Re: Routing or INI problem?

Post by pmaillot »

Thanks for reaching out

bank size is an important parameter as soon as you are using virtual banks of faders with X32Reaper. it defines the number of faders used, per bank. You use the bank up and bank down buttons to get to the next (or previous) set of faders available from the newly selected bank.

It is described in the chapter below:

"Channel Bank select flag, Current Bank value, and Bank size
The “Channel Bank select” flag is used to enable or disable the use of logical banks for selecting
REAPER tracks in groups of 32, using the 32 input channel strips of the X32, which is then ONLY
used as a control surface.
Indeed, if you have more than 32 REAPER input tracks (not taking into account any Aux, FxRtn, Bus,
DCA track and assuming you don’t make use of REAPER DCA – see later in this document), mixing
should be done by the REAPER software. You can then use two of the transport section buttons to
move up and down banks of inputs in your REAPER tracks layout, the current bank number being
echoed in the “Current Bank” value. The size of a bank is set at init time, by reading the respective
value in the .X32Reaper.ini file. It is recommended (for ease of use) to set a bank size to a multiple of
8, and up to 32 (physical limit set by X32 channels) to optimize the use of X32 routing capabilities.
Values of 8 and 16 will be the easier to use as the will not require you to also fiddle with the X32
physical channel bank select at the left of the console.
Additionally, when switching up or down from one REAPER bank to the other, the number of X32
channel strips affected by the Bank Size will be updated to reflect the settings they have at the time of
the switch, either from a saved state if no REAPER change took place, or from their most recent
REAPER settings. This applies to fader, pan, solo, mute, scribble text, icon and color, and the
---------------------------------------
mixbus sends. The X32 selected channel strip is also reflected to match the respective REAPER
track, in the current bank.
Using a Bank Size smaller than the actual number of X32 channels offers a large palette of routing
options between what portion of the X32 desk will be used as a control surface for REAPER and what
part of the X32 will be used to simultaneously manage audio (if that’s your choice) using X32 routing to
set what audio is managed by X32. Note that Bank Size also limits the number of X32 active channel
strips; i.e. only the X32 channels less or equal to Bank Size are capable of interacting with
X32Reaper, thus affecting REAPER tracks (directly or via banks). "

Maybe the value of bank size should default to 32 when banks are not used. Will double check this.
-P
Deffe

Post by Deffe »

Many thx for your reply!

I was wondering why the "bank size" parameter has any influence in my case because I set the "Channel bank select" flag to "0".

Thank you for the clarification on that!

Greetings
Detlev
pmaillot

Post by pmaillot »

I did check this morning and the default bank size is correctly set to 32 when X32Reaper banks feature is non-selected... starting with ver 2.69 of the program. Are you running an older version?
Deffe

Post by Deffe »

As I restored the backup to my new pc it may be that INI file was overwritten by an older one during backup!

Return to “X32Reaper”