Calling all Network Wizards

Everything to do with the Dante Audio Networking aspect of the digital eco-system
GaryH

Calling all Network Wizards

Post by GaryH »

I bought myself a new to me (well traveled) fancy dancy network switch. Cisco, 24 ports with 4 fiber ports, managed etc etc. I know little about it yet BUT since I installed it (default settings, I could not wait) my latency readings are unreal fast! So can the switch itself improve latency?...as it appears to have done? 88usec average between XDante and Wing Internal...If it gets much quicker it will reverse the space time continuum and I may cease to exist as you now know me...me and all my equipment sucked into a black hole only to emerge in YOUR studio...now that's FAST and scary. EDIT: And to be perfectly clear I am NO network wizard!

pvannatto

Re: Calling all Network Wizards

Post by pvannatto »

We wouldn't want that Gary (your gear being sucked into a black hole and emerge in my studio). My wife says I have too much gear as it is. So you better throttle that Cisco switch back a bit. :)
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator
MJKlein
Site Admin

Post by MJKlein »

@GaryH if it does open a hole in the space-time continuum, it will land on a pile of guitar picks I've dropped all over several decades. At least I think that's where they go. I've never been able to find a guitar pick I've dropped.
湖口鄉新竹縣台灣 Hukou Township, Hsinchu County, Taiwan
Behringer X32/Dante + Soundcraft Ghost + X32ReaperAutoMate
English/中文
This site is hosted at Dathorn: https://dathorn.com/index.php?r=489
https://www.youtube.com/@phoenixmediaforge
pmaillot

Post by pmaillot »

GaryH wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:44 am I bought myself a new to me (well traveled) fancy dancy network switch. Cisco, 24 ports with 4 fiber ports, managed etc etc. I know little about it yet BUT since I installed it (default settings, I could not wait) my latency readings are unreal fast! So can the switch itself improve latency?...as it appears to have done? 88usec average between XDante and Wing Internal...If it gets much quicker it will reverse the space time continuum and I may cease to exist as you now know me...me and all my equipment sucked into a black hole only to emerge in YOUR studio...now that's FAST and scary. EDIT: And to be perfectly clear I am NO network wizard!

Cisco (and several other industry-grade network equipment manufacturers, Arista,...) is well known for extra-low latency routers. Their Nexus series for example is widely used in Datacenters and is known for being "ULL" (i.e. ultra low latency)
GaryH

Post by GaryH »

@pvannattoPaul your wife and mine would have a lot to talk about and a LOT in common:-) @MJKlein I also have a LOT of picks and god knows what else in that hole too! If I ever dropped out it with that stuff it would be one huge mess! I'll try to visit in a more traditional way I guess...ya never know! Taiwan might be a bit of a hop skip and a jump though....@pmaillot this one is pretty old but it has the important Dante related features they suggest in the certification courses...it was also dirt cheap. Just getting to know it, so far I am only using whatever is default :-) Seems to work just fine, It's a Cisco Catalyst WS-C3750G-24TS-S. It did give faster latency readings than my other MUCH newer 8 port unmanaged TP-Link switch did. Who knows, maybe it was the sunny spring day. Enjoying learning all of this stuff at the very least.
pmaillot

Post by pmaillot »

GaryH wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 5:46 pm [...] this one is pretty old but it has the important Dante related features they suggest in the certification courses...it was also dirt cheap. Just getting to know it, [...]
Yeah, can find some as low as €40!
curtbl

Post by curtbl »

GaryH wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 5:46 pm @pvannattoPaul your wife and mine would have a lot to talk about and a LOT in common:-) @MJKlein I also have a LOT of picks and god knows what else in that hole too! If I ever dropped out it with that stuff it would be one huge mess! I'll try to visit in a more traditional way I guess...ya never know! Taiwan might be a bit of a hop skip and a jump though....@pmaillot this one is pretty old but it has the important Dante related features they suggest in the certification courses...it was also dirt cheap. Just getting to know it, so far I am only using whatever is default :-) Seems to work just fine, It's a Cisco Catalyst WS-C3750G-24TS-S. It did give faster latency readings than my other MUCH newer 8 port unmanaged TP-Link switch did. Who knows, maybe it was the sunny spring day. Enjoying learning all of this stuff at the very least.
Gary, good choice and now your just beginning to have fun..... One day we should all, when the $$$ come in, be on a Dante Domain and share each others gear.... That would be a hoot! Done it professionally but for fun, well it would open the big black hole we all would get sucked into! Never to be seen again!
Enjoy, Networking and Audio, is just a way to much fun and the larger the network the more fun can be had.... Sunny spring day? So just get a Dante AVIO and take your speakers out in the back yard along with your laptop on a network cable and mix away with the gear still inside!
Enjoy
C
GaryH

Post by GaryH »

@curtbl

“One day we should all, when the $$$ come in, be on a Dante Domain and share each others gear.... That would be a hoot! Done it professionally but for fun, well it would open the big black hole we all would get sucked into! Never to be seen again!”

Count me in! I’m not too up on Dante domain stuff yet but willing for sure! Sounds very interesting.

“Networking and Audio, is just a way to much fun and the larger the network the more fun can be had.... Sunny spring day? So just get a Dante AVIO and take your speakers out in the back yard along with your laptop on a network cable and mix away with the gear still inside!”

I plan on getting some of those, I would like a few different configurations but...$ always an issue, I love the concept...making any device a Dante device is very cool!

Return to “Dante Audio Networking”