XR16 and X Touch, Ethernet connection not working

M/X Air Digital Mixer Series
goldfinch

XR16 and X Touch, Ethernet connection not working

Post by goldfinch »

Hi all, I got a brand new X Touch console and try to pair it with the X Air XR16 mixer. It doesn't connect over ethernet.

Versions (all up to date):
- XR16 - 1.20
- X Touch - 1.22

Settings:
XR16:
- Static IP address 192.168.0.100
- Mask 255.255.255.0
- Gateway 192.168.0.1

Router:
- IP address 192.168.0.1
- Mask 255.255.255.0
- DHCP Server ON

X Touch:
- DHCP off
- Slave IP 192.168.0.100
- My IP 192.168.0.150
- My gateway 192.168.0.1

The console keeps on showing no link.

I also tried to do the same with the DHCP ON on either X Air or X Touch, or both - same result. The main issue is, XR16 is registered on the network, and i can see it both on the router web-page AND in the X-Air app on my Windows computer, but X Touch isn't registered on the network irrespective of the DHCP settings (that is, with DHCP ON, IP address is not assigned; with static IP, it doesn't appear in the list of connected devices to the router either). Is it a faulty X Touch, or am I doing something wrong? Based on the various youtube videos, both DHCP and Static IP address settings on the X Touch should work, but that's not my case...

Attaching photos of my settings
XR16, photo of the X-Air app:

X Touch config:

Router settings:

No link...

kmitchell

Re: XR16 and X Touch, Ethernet connection not working

Post by kmitchell »

Hi @goldfinch Welcome to the forums. Based on what you've described and how you've described it, you sound like you know what you are doing and have the setup correct. Other than a bad Ethernet cable, which I'm sure you've already swapped, unfortunately it sounds like a defective X-Touch. I'd recommend returning it to the place of purchase for a replacement.

EDIT: As an additional test, you could set both the X-Air and X-Touch to static IPs and connect the directly with an Ethernet cable in between. This would take the router out of the picture entirely.
goldfinch

Post by goldfinch »

kmitchell wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:12 pm EDIT: As an additional test, you could set both the X-Air and X-Touch to static IPs and connect the directly with an Ethernet cable in between. This would take the router out of the picture entirely.
Thanks, @kmitchell . What should be the setup of XR16 in this case? Static IP, where I populate IP and mask, but, if i understand correctly, no gateway? And, consequently, for X-Touch my gateway also should be set to 0.0.0.0? I also tried to rule out routers this way: XR16 in DHCP mode, X-Touch connected directly to the mixer with DHCP ON - didn't work. What concerns me is that the console assigns an invalid IP address - e.g., 169.254.174.232, which usually happens when a device can't find network and comes up with a dummy IP address...
Don't know if it helps, but... link is lit on both X-Tourch and the router (that is, RJ45 port is lit all the time, not blinking). Could it be faulty network interface?
kmitchell

Post by kmitchell »

goldfinch wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:57 pm Thanks, @kmitchell . What should be the setup of XR16 in this case? Static IP, where I populate IP and mask, but, if i understand correctly, no gateway? And, consequently, for X-Touch my gateway also should be set to 0.0.0.0? I also tried to rule out routers this way: XR16 in DHCP mode, X-Touch connected directly to the mixer with DHCP ON - didn't work. What concerns me is that the console assigns an invalid IP address - e.g., 169.254.174.232, which usually happens when a device can't find network and comes up with a dummy IP address...
Don't know if it helps, but... link is lit on both X-Tourch and the router (that is, RJ45 port is lit all the time, not blinking). Could it be faulty network interface?
You'll want to set both XR16 and XTouch to static IPs with 255.255.255.0 netmask and 192.168.0.1 gateway. The gateway will never be used since you won't be trying to access anything except 192.168.0.x but it's still good to have it set so the firmware doesn't do anything strange. If you want to set the XTouch to DHCP then you need to configure the XR16 to be a DHCP server. You do this under Setup->Lan, and select DHCP Server instead of Static or DHCP. Since you didn't have a DHCP server running, the XTouch defaulted to what is called a link-local or self-assigned IP address. This is normal and it is actually part of the IETF specs.

With the Link LED on solid and not blinking rapidly, I suspect a bad cable or a bad network interface.
goldfinch

Post by goldfinch »

kmitchell wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:08 pm You'll want to set both XR16 and XTouch to static IPs with 255.255.255.0 netmask and 192.168.0.1 gateway. The gateway will never be used since you won't be trying to access anything except 192.168.0.x but it's still good to have it set so the firmware doesn't do anything strange. If you want to set the XTouch to DHCP then you need to configure the XR16 to be a DHCP server. You do this under Setup->Lan, and select DHCP Server instead of Static or DHCP. Since you didn't have a DHCP server running, the XTouch defaulted to what is called a link-local or self-assigned IP address. This is normal and it is actually part of the IETF specs.

With the Link LED on solid and not blinking rapidly, I suspect a bad cable or a bad network interface.
Thanks @kmitchell.
1. I know how to set up XR16 to be a DHCP server, but thanks anyway. I tried XR16 as a DHCP server, with X-Touch connected to the mixer directly - no luck. Same self-assigned IP address.
2. Gateway - thanks for clarification. I don't remember what exactly I did - maybe, i set it to the non-zero address. Anyway, i tried that just now - doesn't work. Interestingly, X-Touch's RJ45 port keeps on showing/blinking yellow even after disconnecting the cable. That's really strange. Another peculiar thing is that it's the yellow LED that's blinking/lit, but the green one is never lit.
3. Bad cable is ruled out - i tried different cables, both on XR16 and X-Touch. That is, i connected X-Touch with cables that worked with XR16. So, i'm afraid, your suggestion about bad network interface is a more realistic one... ):

BTW, Link LED started blinking in the static IP mode when directly connected to the XR16 mixer. However, that didn't change anything - X-Touch can't see the mixer. Another thing that has been alarming right from the start is that X-Touch never appeared on the list of connected devices on the router (both in static IP and DHCP client modes). So, that strengthens my conviction that it's a bad network interface... what a shame!

I'm going to the shop where the console was bought tomorrow. Will post an update if i have anything to say.

Thanks for your help.
KMaxwell

Post by KMaxwell »

Have you tried hooking up using the x-air edit on your computer to see what combination works without the X-Touch.

I don't have an X-Touch I only have an XTC (X-Touch Compact) and it works differently. When networking the M32 to a computer I always use a static IP addresses. I had a problem one time and it turned out I had 2 of the devices set to the exact same IP address. I always set the gateway to "0.0.0.0.0". I don't know if the XR16 and the X-Touch need to be on the same IP address or if the last octet needs to be different.
kmitchell

Post by kmitchell »

@goldfinch It definitely sounds like a bad Ethernet interface on the X-Touch.

@KMaxwell The mixer and X-Touch must have unique IP addresses and be on the same subnet. In this setup, the last octet is .100 and .150, with a netmask of 255.255.255.0, so it should be good.
goldfinch

Post by goldfinch »

Well... For those interested in the outcome of my ping-pong game with the seller... Couple of months later, in March, we finally were able to return the device to the shop which we had bought it from, and get a new device. And - surprise! - the device connected to the network/mixer immediately! So, it turns out my initial guess about faulty network interface was correct, after all.
kmitchell

Post by kmitchell »

@goldfinch Great to hear your working again but shameful to hear how long it took.

Return to “M/X-Air Digital Mixers”