A few X32 FX questions

M32 and X32 Digital Consoles
mattclarkmixer

A few X32 FX questions

Post by mattclarkmixer »

Last night I was trying to figure out why I wasn't getting any FX on my vocals. I have it set up so my vocal channel gets sent to FX1 as delay and FX2 as reverb.

Finally I discovered that I had mistakenly turned down the AUX 1 and AUX 2 on the L/R. Then I could hear my FX again. Even with the L/R not assigned on those AUX channels. It seems the Aux faders on the L/R bus serve as a global control, correct?

My next question is why do those AUX faders need to be up in the L/R for the FX to work on the other busses?

The other thing that confuses me is the way the FX faders are labeled. There's FX 1-4 and FX 1L, FX 1R, etc. And then the AUX tracks.
I could really use some clarification on what each of these represents. I would assume sends and returns. The FX 1-4 would be sends and the stereo ones would be returns. Is that right? And then there are the AUX's, no idea how those figure in.
pvannatto

Re: A few X32 FX questions

Post by pvannatto »

mattclarkmixer wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:14 pm My next question is why do those AUX faders need to be up in the L/R for the FX to work on the other busses?
They should not have any effect on the FX returns to the Main L/R. But before I speculate as to why, I would suggest that you export your scene to a file (either by using the Utility button on the console and a USB stick, or by using X32-Edit scene export) and attach it to your next post (using the Full Editor below). That way we can have a look at your setup and better advise.
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator
craigf

Post by craigf »

I agree with Paul; that shouldn't be happening unless you've deliberately set it up that way. By default the aux channels shouldn't have anything to do with FX. Upload your scene file.

Re the naming:
FX1-4 are the default labels for bus13-16, because by default those buses feed FX processors1-4. You can change the naming, and which buses feed which FX engines it if you want.
FX1L, FX1R, FX2L, FX2R etc are the dedicated stereo returns for those first 4 FX processors.

The "Auxes" (specifically the AuxIns) are auxillary *channels* (different to what other consoles have been calling aux *buses* for decades, being auxillary to the console's main LR bus,) which exist in addition to the regular 32 channels. In some (marketing) ways, the X32 is a 40-channel console. By default AuxIn 1-6 source their signals from the TRS\RCA inputs on the rear of the console (though that can be changed,) and AuxIn7+8 is the stereo 2-track return from the USB-A socket on the top of the console. These channels only have limited processing though: peq only. No hpf, no insert point, no dynamics.

The AuxOuts are additional outputs, (note they're only additional *sockets,* not additional *buses*) which use the TRS\RCA outputs on the rear of the console. In the X32 series they have 5dB less headroom before distortion than the XLR outs (+16dBu vs +21dBu,) so a hot signal that might be fine on the XLR outs could clip a TRS output. On the M32 both the XLR and TRS outputs both go up to +21dBu. You can configure which signals end up there on the routing>aux out tab.

The aux pairs can also be used as IO for outboard inserts if you want; go routing>aux out and set aux1 to be an insert. Use the aux1 output as your send point. Run it into your outboard, run the return from the outboard into the aux1 input; that's your return point. Then select whatever channel\bus you want, go to the config tab, and set its insert as Aux1. You can run some auxIO as inserts and others as inputs and outputs.
mattclarkmixer

Post by mattclarkmixer »

Here is my scene - thanks for your help guys.
Attachments
scene.scn
(65.31 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
KMaxwell

Post by KMaxwell »

mattclarkmixer wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:15 pm Here is my scene - thanks for your help guys.
This scene looks like it is setup as a monitor mixer not a house mixer. Is that correct? And it is an X32 compact?

Or everything goes out the card outs and then back into the X32 and then out to the L/R and Mono.
Last edited by KMaxwell on Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mattclarkmixer

Post by mattclarkmixer »

Yes, it's setup for IEM mixes. It is a X32 Rack.
KMaxwell

Post by KMaxwell »

mattclarkmixer wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:38 pm Yes, it's setup for IEM mixes. It is a X32 Rack.
What does the L/R and Mono feed?
mattclarkmixer

Post by mattclarkmixer »

KMaxwell wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:42 pm
mattclarkmixer wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:38 pm Yes, it's setup for IEM mixes. It is a X32 Rack.
What does the L/R and Mono feed?
I'm still getting everything setup, but my plan was to have backing tracks for FOH on L/R and have those come out of XLR 7/8
KMaxwell

Post by KMaxwell »

The sends to your IEMs from the FX returns are post fader (which is fine) you just need to bring up the faders FX 1L/1R (and the other ones) they are linked so you only need to move one of them and the other will follow. I am not sure of what benefit you will have the way you have Bus13 and bis 14 each feeding the effects 1&2.
mattclarkmixer

Post by mattclarkmixer »

KMaxwell wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:53 pm The sends to your IEMs from the FX returns are post fader (which is fine) you just need to bring up the faders FX 1L/1R (and the other ones) they are linked so you only need to move one of them and the other will follow. I am not sure of what benefit you will have the way you have Bus13 and bis 14 each feeding the effects 1&2.
Right, that was a mistake. I fixed it after I saved the scene.

Return to “M/X32 Consoles”