Stereo Channels

Behringer WING Consoles
Soundgood

Stereo Channels

Post by Soundgood »

I'm considering getting a Wing for my home studio.
I just want to be sure that a stereo source will only use one of the 48 available channels.
Can I bring in a stereo synth and only use one channel?
Or a stereo VI from the computer via USB... Only one channel?
And... can this stereo channel use the pan and width parameters?
Thanks in advance for insight and advice.
pvannatto

Re: Stereo Channels

Post by pvannatto »

Soundgood wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:51 pm I just want to be sure that a stereo source will only use one of the 48 available channels.
That is correct. The Wing is stereo by design - through and through - in contrast to the X32 that is mono by design.
For your example of inputting a stereo synth, you would connect it to 2 physical inputs (odd/even pair). Then in the Routing, Inputs screen (eg AES50 A), you would select either the odd or even input and configure it as a stereo input (choices are mono (default), stereo, and mid-side). Then when assigning sources to a channel strip, select either the odd or even input and the Wing will automatically assign the odd input to the left and the even input to the right of that channel strip

If a mono input is assigned as the channel strip source, that channel strip will function as a mono strip.
Soundgood wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:51 pm And... can this stereo channel use the pan and width parameters?
Yes most definitely. If you want to see how it works, go the Wing product page and download the Wing-Edit app. It is similar to the X32-Edit apps and is both an online (connected to the console) and offline editor.
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator
Soundgood

Post by Soundgood »

Wow! Thanks for your fast and informative reply.
The link to the Wing-Edit app really helps me to figure out the process.
The Wing seems like a perfect solution for my studio.
I'm running a bunch of stereo hardware synths, multiple Vis and DAW audio tracks.
The stereo track functionality means I can hook everything up and have channels for each source.
Very cool!

Now my only concern is the audio quality.
Does the Wing sound good in a studio environment?
Are the summing algorithms good?

Thanks again for the great info.
Quite remarkable to receive such great info so quickly.
Thanks Paul!
pvannatto

Post by pvannatto »

Soundgood wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:20 am I'm running a bunch of stereo hardware synths, multiple Vis and DAW audio tracks
It is conceivable that if you are running all stereo inputs, you could process up to 96 inputs on the Wing.
Soundgood wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:20 am Does the Wing sound good in a studio environment?
I use my Wing for live events and occasionally do some recordings. But since I don't have an official studio, I probably can't comment much on that, other than I've read reports from those with studios using the Wing and they have been very happy with the results.

The Wing is limited to 44.8 and 48 kHz samplerates. If you require 96 kHz, you will need to go to a Midas console (eg. the HeritageD).
Soundgood wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:20 am Are the summing algorithms good?
That is relative and subjective. Are they better than what the Beatles had? Most definitely. Are the better (or as good) as a desk many time the price? Maybe (or maybe not). Coming from an X32, the resulting sound from the Wing is superior. But it is also the results of the many advanced features of the Wing that the X32 does not have.
Soundgood wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:20 am Quite remarkable to receive such great info so quickly.
Because this forum is relatively new and the user base is slowly building, we try to respond to questions as quick as possible. Glad to have you aboard.
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator
pmaillot

Post by pmaillot »

All very good and honest answers from @pvannatto (as always). I have a Wing I mostly use for SW dev and studio work. Definitely a great console with lots of possibilities and such as level of flexibility when it comes to routing sources (not always easy to figure out, but this is routing, right?).
As Paul, I also come from X32 and found Wing's audio quality to be better (warmer sound?), but this is kinda subjective.
Soundgood

Post by Soundgood »

Thanks guys! I went ahead and ordered one. I'm sure there will be a steep learning curve, but knowing this forum is here is reassuring.
pmaillot

Post by pmaillot »

Pretty sure you wont regret that move!
Congrats!
MJKlein
Site Admin

Post by MJKlein »

@Soundgood, along with Patrick's AutoMate automation, you'll have the precision and convenience of a real recording console.
湖口鄉新竹縣台灣 Hukou Township, Hsinchu County, Taiwan
Behringer X32/Dante + Soundcraft Ghost + X32ReaperAutoMate
English/中文
This site is hosted at Dathorn: https://dathorn.com/index.php?r=489
https://www.youtube.com/@phoenixmediaforge
Soundgood

Post by Soundgood »

Thanks MJ, The AutoMate software looks very cool! Quite a remarkable program. I'm on a Mac and my preferred DAW is Digital Performer. Looks like AutoMate only works on Reaper, or maybe I'm wrong about that. It sure would be nice to have automation for the Wing.
BTW my Wing is supposed to arrive on Friday. I'm stoked!
MJKlein
Site Admin

Post by MJKlein »

Yes, you are correct. It's because Reaper supports OSC. It is arguably the most configurable DAW in existence and has unparalleled automation ability, so I am very glad it happened to be Reaper that supports OSC! AutoMate works perfectly with emulators too.

The next thing you'll want to get is 2 Dante cards so you can have the full 96 channels of mixing from the DAW.

Exciting times ahead!
湖口鄉新竹縣台灣 Hukou Township, Hsinchu County, Taiwan
Behringer X32/Dante + Soundcraft Ghost + X32ReaperAutoMate
English/中文
This site is hosted at Dathorn: https://dathorn.com/index.php?r=489
https://www.youtube.com/@phoenixmediaforge

Return to “WING Consoles”