Subgroup for Drums and IEM mixes

M32 and X32 Digital Consoles
mattclarkmixer

Subgroup for Drums and IEM mixes

Post by mattclarkmixer »

I'm running IEMS on a couple of different linked stereo busses. So 2 performeres (me and my bassist) each have our own mixes. I've got this setup in X-32 Edit.

I've got Kick, Snare, Rack Tom, and Floor Toms each on their own channel. I'd like to send those to a subgroup and then have that subgroup appear in each IEM mix bus to be individually adjusted. I'd want to apply compression and EQ on the subgroup.

What's the best way to accomplish this? I thought there was a trick to bring back a subgroup to different busses and have them be individually adjustable but I haven't been able to figure out what that is.
pvannatto

Re: Subgroup for Drums and IEM mixes

Post by pvannatto »

mattclarkmixer wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:52 pm What's the best way to accomplish this?
Send the channel signals to the appropriate buses (or bus pairs). Make sure those buses have the Main LR disabled (on bus Main screen). Then select an unused channel strip and assign the desired bus as the input source. Repeat for each buses.
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator
mattclarkmixer

Post by mattclarkmixer »

pvannatto wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:44 am
mattclarkmixer wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:52 pm What's the best way to accomplish this?
Send the channel signals to the appropriate buses (or bus pairs). Make sure those buses have the Main LR disabled (on bus Main screen). Then select an unused channel strip and assign the desired bus as the input source. Repeat for each buses.
The busses aren't coming up in my input sources on any of the channel strips. I'm only seeing FX returns and Aux Ins as input sources.
KMaxwell

Post by KMaxwell »

I would suggest that you don't make the Mix Bus sends Subgroups because then they are only sent to that Mix Bus at one level. If you set the Mix Bus(s) as Post fader sends then you can decide how much you want to send of each input to that send to that Mix Bus (I refer to that as variable SubGroups) or you could set the Mix Bus Sends as Pre-fader as one would normally do for a monitor send. Also Depending on how many IEM mixes you want you could use the matrix outputs and then send how much of each Mix Bus you want in each Matrix.

Are you also using the X32 to send a mix to the house speakers or is this a monitor only console?
mattclarkmixer

Post by mattclarkmixer »

KMaxwell wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:29 am I would suggest that you don't make the Mix Bus sends Subgroups because then they are only sent to that Mix Bus at one level. If you set the Mix Bus(s) as Post fader sends then you can decide how much you want to send of each input to that send to that Mix Bus (I refer to that as variable SubGroups) or you could set the Mix Bus Sends as Pre-fader as one would normally do for a monitor send. Also Depending on how many IEM mixes you want you could use the matrix outputs and then send how much of each Mix Bus you want in each Matrix.

Are you also using the X32 to send a mix to the house speakers or is this a monitor only console?
It's for monitors only.

I've got 2 IEM mixes and then a P-16 for drummer. So, with that in mind I could have 2 matrixes (stereo) per mix, correct? Each person would have their own pair of matrixes and control the drum subgroup level independently? And I could still have 1 set of eq and compression on the drum soubgroup, yes?
pvannatto

Post by pvannatto »

mattclarkmixer wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:11 am The busses aren't coming up in my input sources on any of the channel strips. I'm only seeing FX returns and Aux Ins as input sources.
The buses are below the FX Returns. If they aren't there, you are using a very old firmware.
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator
mattclarkmixer

Post by mattclarkmixer »

pvannatto wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 5:28 am
mattclarkmixer wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:11 am The busses aren't coming up in my input sources on any of the channel strips. I'm only seeing FX returns and Aux Ins as input sources.
The buses are below the FX Returns. If they aren't there, you are using a very old firmware.
Got it figured out. In X32 Edit they have a screen labeled input but it's actually the source selection for an insert. The actual input source for the channel is 1 tab over. It was much easier for me to find on the X32 itself. Thanks for your help!

Return to “M/X32 Consoles”