S32 won't update firmware

rbctech

S32 won't update firmware

Post by rbctech »

Good afternoon

We have a wing running 2.x firmware and have a yellow indicator on the AES50 A bus for our S32 stage box. I am also having difficulty with the box and some of the channels functioning correctly (clicks and pops or no volume on known working cables/mics). I went to download and update the S32 to firmware 1.8 and am getting the following error:

No S32 found. Please restart S32 in bootloader mode (connect USB during power on).

The S32 is on in bootloader mode (cable connected on power up) and the command prompt is running in Administrator mode. The laptop is running Windows 11 and the computer did beep to indicate a new USB device was connected.

Suggestions?
GaryH

Re: S32 won't update firmware

Post by GaryH »

@rbctech The Yellow with Wings and S/DL32's indicates an issue where daisy chaining from the stagebox using the B port does not work properly. If NOT using the stagebox B port out to another mixer or other stagebox, they work normally. The firmware to fix this has yet to be released so nothing will help that at this point. Supposedly just using the A port is not a problem and it will work as it should-but be colored yellow. This indicates a new firmware is required. Just use it on its own Wing port by itself or at the end of a chain via its port A. The flakey operation otherwise could be another issue and indicate a defect. FWIW the 1.8 version doesn't give any real functional improvements. That all said, you might try a few things. Make sure you use a USB 2 port and cable on the PC. Try it using an older Windows version if you can borrow an old laptop somewhere with Win10 or Win7 on it. Otherwise we all wait for the "coming soon" new stagebox firmware. It has been a long wait.
6mag

Post by 6mag »

Ich habe das Problem ebenfalls,
FW DL32 1.8 -> 3.0

Update kann die DL32 nicht finden.
Gibt's da einen Trick?

Kabel Anstecken, Stagebox einschalten, Update (im Adminmode) starten.
Getestet mit Win 10 USB2.0, Win 11 USB3.0 und 5 unterschiedlichen Kabeln.
Die PC erkennen die DL32, aber der Updater nicht.

Ich weiß nicht mehr weiter.
-------
I have the same problem,
FW DL32 1.8 -> 3.0

Update cannot find the DL32.

Is there a trick?

Plug in the cable, switch on the stage box, start the update (in admin mode).
Tested with Win 10 USB2.0, Win 11 USB3.0 and 5 different cables.
The PC recognizes the DL32, but the updater does not.

I don't know what to do next
6mag

Post by 6mag »

6mag wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:07 pm Ich habe das Problem ebenfalls,
FW DL32 1.8 -> 3.0

Update kann die DL32 nicht finden.
Gibt's da einen Trick?

Kabel Anstecken, Stagebox einschalten, Update (im Adminmode) starten.
Getestet mit Win 10 USB2.0, Win 11 USB3.0 und 5 unterschiedlichen Kabeln.
Die PC erkennen die DL32, aber der Updater nicht.

Ich weiß nicht mehr weiter.
-------
I have the same problem,
FW DL32 1.8 -> 3.0

Update cannot find the DL32.

Is there a trick?

Plug in the cable, switch on the stage box, start the update (in admin mode).
Tested with Win 10 USB2.0, Win 11 USB3.0 and 5 different cables.
The PC recognizes the DL32, but the updater does not.

I don't know what to do next
Update success at an old
Lenovo PC Core 2 Duo E8400
WIN 10 Pro

USB Specs at Pictures

KMaxwell

Post by KMaxwell »

i wonder if the newest firmware update for the stage boxes ver3 is more forgiving as to which computer and OS it needs to do the update.
angr77

Post by angr77 »

Upgraded 2xS16 and a S32 to the new 3.0 firmware. As usual for all upgrade missions with Behringer and Turbosound devices…you just can’t do the upgrade with a modern PC laptop like HP Elitebook or Microsoft Surface with W10 or W11 - impossible to get USB to see the SXX stuff. However when doing it on a real old PC Laptop with W7…the upgrade process works immediately. (Have tried to raise this issue once with Behringer support…but they refused to admit that this is a problem 🙂. )

A feeling that hit me is that older PCs are using 5v on the USB bus and newer is using 3.3v…and if this can be the problem. (But I have no proofs of this); Somebody mentioned that one solution is to try to connect a passive USB hub in between…to fool the system, I have not tried this.

Anyhow the result seems to be great = now you can have more SXX devices on the same AES50 CAT5e cable (upto 48 ch) and are able to see them on the Wing. Good to see that an old S16 device and a newer S16(shipped with FW 2.8 because of changes in HW) now both run on FW3.0.

Angr77, Flow 8, XR18, Mackie DL32S, X32 Core, X32 Rack and WING + S32, 2x S16 + X-Touch and A&H CQ20B
Developer of www.z-liverec.com
GaryH

Post by GaryH »

Does anyone have a clue as to what the 3.0 update for the SD models really does? It almost sounds like it allows their A/B ports to be used like the S/DL32 with input connection allowed from either port by 2 different mixers at once. That would be a GREAT addition if true. I fear that all it really does is allow a Wing to not have a yellow sync icon :-). The pdf is full of useful info (see below) @angr77 It is most frustrating in this day and age to see that you can only use a Windows machine to update.

EDIT: I am editing this post a bit as my actual experience using a newer pc was positive and I was able to update some SD boxes without issue. That said there still must be a better way to update firmware, or at least add the ability to update using other operating systems in addition to a Windows pc.

Changelog
[3.0] - 2024-01-02
Added
support for Wing protocol (use of Wing on both ports)
Last edited by GaryH on Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
GaryH

Post by GaryH »

I just decided to try to update an SD8 to 3.0. Using my usual Win11 i19 pc and had no problem with the installation at all. I then did an SD16 and 2 more SD8's all without issue. @angr77 So it appears it does work on a "modern" pc. I figured it would not work, surprised it did. Which is why I kept going. EDIT: I no longer have any S/DL16's or S/DL32's to try. So maybe the S/DL32 update version itself works poorly? I sold my S16's and a DL32 when switching to Dante enabled boxes last year. I remain unsure what exactly I get with the update of the SD boxes but they are updated at least.
KMaxwell

Post by KMaxwell »

If anyone is having a problem with upgrading one of the stage boxes go back to the Music Tribe product page where you got the firmware update file from and download it again. When you download it you will see that the file name is slightly different and the date on it is April 17th 2024. They made changes to it so it should be easier to load it into the stage box.

Return to “Stageboxes”