Which Firmware To Update To Question

Behringer WING Consoles
saghi

Which Firmware To Update To Question

Post by saghi »

We currently use a wing that is on firmware 1.06. I am interested in updating to a newer firmware but based on my research, going all the way to 2.0 won't be good. There are 5 people who regularly use our wing so major changes would be an inconvenience and we certainly don't need the show control stuff, yet. Keeping our currently saved snapshots and channels from 1.06 useable is a priority. It seems they won't be useable in 1.13 and 2.0.

What is the latest firmware that will still allow all our snapshots and saved channels from 1.06 to still be usable and doesn't have any major changes in layout or functionality? My research leads me to think 1.12.8, does this seem right? Is there a way to save everything (snapshots and channels) from 1.06 on a computer and revert back if needed?

Thanks!
pmaillot

Re: Which Firmware To Update To Question

Post by pmaillot »

"If it ain't broken, don't fix it!" should apply to you and your case. Otherwise I'd suggest you all do the effort of porting your current snaps to 2.0 and update to the latest FW. It will help you later down the road.
thegeorgedougherty

Post by thegeorgedougherty »

Hookup a computer via usb then in setup switch the USB access to data. I'm on 2.0 so I don't know if the language and buttons are the same for 1.06. This turns the wing into a storage device on the computer where you can backup all the file system. 1.12.8 should be good so once you're backed up jump to there.
The latest version of 2.0 opens and works with snapshots just fine IIRC. The channel presets used to be the issue that prevented my home church from jumping up to anything newer.
Anyone know if the upgrade to the newer firmware updates all the snapshots as well, or does it wait till loading them? I'd assume the former but I've never pulled a backup before and after to check.
pvannatto

Post by pvannatto »

thegeorgedougherty wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:42 pm Anyone know if the upgrade to the newer firmware updates all the snapshots as well, or does it wait till loading them?
The conversion is done during loading.
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator
humhead

Post by humhead »

We have been on 2.0 for some time, and there are a huge number of advantages and no disadvantages.

HOWEVER BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING BACK UP YOUR FILES!!!!!!

AGAIN, BACK UP YOUR FILES!!!!!!

We found that older files could be opened using WING editor and then loaded and subsequently saved onto the wing.

Show control is a huge plus.

IMO there is zero reasons not to be on the current firmware version.
saghi

Post by saghi »

Thanks, everyone. I backed up and went to 1.12.8 with no issues. Everything was easy and seems fine. I was more nervous than I should have been, I think. We are in need of starting fresh soon and will go to 2.0 then.
humhead

Post by humhead »

You are still a few versions behind,. I highly recommend updating to V2.0, we have been using it for months, and no issues FW related at all, and many new features are added.
eslipavan

Post by eslipavan »

I'm on FW 1.12.8... in my case we didn't update, as I use two wings consoles connected to a Stage Box DL32, I'm not sure if the B aes50 port on the DL32 will work on this current version of the Wing. Anyone take a risk?
humhead

Post by humhead »

I have a DL32, 2-DL16's and a BA8 and all ports working 100% in a multitude of configs with ournWING on FW2.0. The additional feature sets and stability of 2.0 make updating IMPO a no brainer. We often use these SB along iwith a Behringer X32R as a monitor desk, again no issues.
KMaxwell

Post by KMaxwell »

eslipavan wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:07 pm I'm on FW 1.12.8... in my case we didn't update, as I use two wings consoles connected to a Stage Box DL32, I'm not sure if the B aes50 port on the DL32 will work on this current version of the Wing. Anyone take a risk?
2 WINGs with the second one on the ASE50b port of the DL32 is a problem until the new firmware for the DL32 is officially released. Which should be soon. So wait for that until you upgrade the WING firmware to v2.

I have been told that a X32/M32 as the second console on the AES50b port of the DL32 works fine on V2 of the WING firmware. Just not another WING just yet.

Return to “WING Consoles”