Slliders 9 - 16 provide no control

M32 and X32 Digital Consoles
wojet

Slliders 9 - 16 provide no control

Post by wojet »

Fall of 2022 our X32 worked perfectly the Sunday before it didn't. Slider 9-16 just stopped working. It didn't matter which scene we loaded sliders 9 - 16 would not control the channels. The channels 9-16 and associated channels in the other banks all continue to work fine when controlled with the iPad. The sliders don't move when controlled with the iPad either. We've just been operating this way. I would like to have the sliders working again for convenience. I haven't upgraded the firmware or done a factory reset because of the fear of causing the board not to function and loosing current patching info. Last time the firmware was upgraded we could no longer use the iPad because it wouldn't run new enough software to talk to the X32. I'm wondering if there is a plug or some other mechanical connection that would cause a group of 8 sliders to just stop controlling the channels at the same time. Or did I or someone else just cause another problem. I currently have all the scenes saved to a USB Stick. Anyone have any thoughts on what my problem might be?
KMaxwell

Re: Slliders 9 - 16 provide no control

Post by KMaxwell »

I assume that this is a full size X32 and not the compact or producer. So if you are on the 2nd layer do all of the faders work there or are channels 25-32 not working on that layer? is this mixer portable and moved around or is it installed in one location?
wojet

Post by wojet »

It is a full size X32. The mixer has not been move from its fixed location since it was installed. When the problem occurred we started to move the X32 from its fixed location and then decided it wasn't worth the effort for one Sunday and used a different mixer. We did move the board around a little, but never disconnected all the inputs & outputs. The sliders 9-16/25-32 etc. do not function, as described above, on what we'll call the 2nd, 3rd, & 4th layer just like the channels on the 1st layer. That said using the iPad I can control all channels on all layers related to those 8 sliders. When controlling channels with the iPad the sliders do not move.
craigf

Post by craigf »

Set the left fader bank to bus1-16 and the right fader bank to bus 9-16 (so that both the last 8 faders on the left and the 8 faders on the right are both showing bus9-16.) When adjusting the bus9-16 faders on the right fader bank, do the bus9-16 faders on the left fader bank move too? If not it sounds like a hardware problem. IIRC the faders all have individual motors, but are connected together as groups of 4 (except for the master fader,) and those groups of 4 faders connect to the rest of the console with a ribbon cable. I *think* the scribble strip is part of this assembly too. Are the scribblestrips working? If they are it's unlikely the whole fader unit got disconnected. If the scribblestrips are not working then chances are it's just some internal cables that need re-seating.

Apart from a factory reset and upgrading to the latest firmware (ensure everything is backed up and you have the correct ipads with the correct apps to run the latest firmware first,) and ensuring there is nothing remote (eg MIDI) connected that could be messing with things, there's not much more you can do to rule in a software problem.

Return to “M/X32 Consoles”