Sends on fader midi (or OSC) control

M32 and X32 Digital Consoles
Op3r

Sends on fader midi (or OSC) control

Post by Op3r »

Hello, my name is Massimo.
I am writing because I have finally bought an x32 Compact digital mixer to replace analogue mixer, racks and thousands of cables. I'm a small Reggae Dub producer and I work a lot with send to fx channels. I have a Livid DS1 midi mixer controller and I thought I could assign the channel sends for each encoder.
But, to my regret, I discovered that with standard midi I can only assign the input, mute and pan faders. I discovered Mr. Maillot's internet site and immediately realized that he is the TRUE master of the X32 mixer. I used Live2Wav utility to rename sessions recorded with X-LIVE. Unfortunately I don't have the skills to understand how to send OSC signals to control the faders in "send on fader" mode. Unfortunately I didn't have enough money and space for the full version of the mixer with send controls.

I've tried recording various snippets with the send faders in various positions but it's complicated. I thought about using DCA channels for each send but I only have 8 DCA but the send matrix for many instruments requires a lot of controls.

I miss my analog rotary controls!

Can someone help me understand how I can solve my problem?
Thank you
GaryH

Re: Sends on fader midi (or OSC) control

Post by GaryH »

Op3r wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:56 pm Unfortunately I didn't have enough money and space for the full version of the mixer with send controls.
I can't help with OSC but it sounds like you don't have X32-Edit? It has all the sends and everything else you need and is a free download. Easy to use it as well. A bit of a learning curve but worth it. I am not sure if you use it or not, but just in case. Both @pmaillot Patrick and Paul @pvannatto are the go to guys here with OSC and I am sure they will chime in...
Op3r

Post by Op3r »

Yes, of course I have x32edit but it’s the same thing: I cannott access immediately to the send I want in that moment. I have to go to channel, select it and move fader.
In dub music we need an immediate response under the fingers. Livid ds1 has 8 x 5 rotary encoder and I would map them to various fx for various channel (es. for the 1st column snare to delay 1, delay 2, rev 1, rev 2, phaser; 2nd column piano to delay1, delay 2 etc.
Obviously without changing effect, using the same fxs in send mode but for different channels
If I could map a comtroller for the x32edit it would be ok but I think I can’t
pvannatto

Post by pvannatto »

Op3r wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:48 am In dub music we need an immediate response under the fingers. Livid ds1 has 8 x 5 rotary encoder and I would map them to various fx for various channel (es. for the 1st column snare to delay 1, delay 2, rev 1, rev 2, phaser; 2nd column piano to delay1, delay 2 etc.
You can do that using the Assign section in X32-Edit (top right corner).
Select Assign, then Edit. There are 3 tabs (Set A, Set B, Set C) for the 3 sets of 4 encoders and 8 buttons. There you can assign sends faders, etc.
Once setup, select Assign and then the appropriate set. A window will appear that will allow you to have immediate responses as desired.

If you still want to use midi controllers, you could use Patrick's X32Commander app to convert midi commands to appropriate OSC commands for the sends faders.
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator
KMaxwell

Post by KMaxwell »

Op3r wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:48 am Yes, of course I have x32edit but it’s the same thing: I cannott access immediately to the send I want in that moment. I have to go to channel, select it and move fader.
In dub music we need an immediate response under the fingers. Livid ds1 has 8 x 5 rotary encoder and I would map them to various fx for various channel (es. for the 1st column snare to delay 1, delay 2, rev 1, rev 2, phaser; 2nd column piano to delay1, delay 2 etc.
Obviously without changing effect, using the same fxs in send mode but for different channels
If I could map a comtroller for the x32edit it would be ok but I think I can’t
Are you aware that the sends on faders (SOF) works 2 ways.

If you are in SOF mode and on the right bank of faders you are on the BUS 9-16 layer where the sends to the Effects are by default, if you hit SELECT above the Bus that you want to send the channels that are on the left fader bank all those faders are showing what is going to the BUS and you can change what goes to the selected BUS.
BUT there is a second way to send to the Bus. If you hit the SELECT above the channel when in SOF instead then on the right faders you will see what BUS(es) you are sending the selected channel to and you can change where that channel is going to by moving the Bus master faders. This method might be a much quicker way to send the channel to the Effects that you want to send them to.

I hope I have explained that clearly enough to be understood. Play with it and see if this woks for you.
Op3r

Post by Op3r »

pvannatto wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:19 pm
Op3r wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:48 am In dub music we need an immediate response under the fingers. Livid ds1 has 8 x 5 rotary encoder and I would map them to various fx for various channel (es. for the 1st column snare to delay 1, delay 2, rev 1, rev 2, phaser; 2nd column piano to delay1, delay 2 etc.
Select Assign, then Edit. There are 3 tabs (Set A, Set B, Set C) for the 3 sets of 4 encoders and 8 buttons. There you can assign sends faders, etc.
Once setup, select Assign and then the appropriate set. A window will appear that will allow you to have immediate responses as desired.

If you still want to use midi controllers, you could use Patrick's X32Commander app to convert midi commands to appropriate OSC commands for the sends faders.
… appropriate OSC commands… I have to study all the unofficial OSC remote protocol 😅 but it’s very difficult because english is not my native language and OSC is not even more so
Op3r

Post by Op3r »

pvannatto wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:19 pm

I’ve searched the right command and found the command “ /ch/[01…32]/mix/[01…16]/level ”. I hope is the right one 🤞🏻
I think X32Midi2OSC app is the right one because X32Commander is for controlling external gear or not?

Thanx for answer and support 🙏🏻
pvannatto

Post by pvannatto »

Op3r wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:09 am found the command “ /ch/[01…32]/mix/[01…16]/level ”. I hope is the right one
Yes that is the correct OSC command for sends levels (faders).
Op3r wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:09 am I think X32Midi2OSC app is the right one because X32Commander is for controlling external gear or not?
@pmaillot would be the person to help you with his apps.
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator
pmaillot

Post by pmaillot »

X32Midi2OSC takes MIDI commands and enables sending OSC commands from the MIDI triggers.
X32Commander enables sending OSC commands or MIDI commands from OSC triggers.
MidiOSCITTT is an "if this then that" application taking MIDI or OSC triggers and controlling/sending applications, MIDI or OSC

Check for doc and examples at https://sites.google.com/site/patrickmaillot/x32

-Patrick
Op3r

Post by Op3r »

pmaillot wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:55 am X32Midi2OSC takes MIDI commands and enables sending OSC commands from the MIDI triggers.
X32Commander enables sending OSC commands or MIDI commands from OSC triggers.
MidiOSCITTT is an "if this then that" application taking MIDI or OSC triggers and controlling/sending applications, MIDI or OSC

Check for doc and examples at https://sites.google.com/site/patrickmaillot/x32

-Patrick
Thanx for your answer mr. Maillot! I’ve tried sending some Osc command with your app but something is wrong.
I tried with strings like: B0 1 05 127 | /ch/02/mix/13/level [$2] or
B0 1 05 127 | /ch/02/mix/13/level [127] etc. but nothing happens or X32 gives me back an error message: “OSC ERROR: message must be multiple of four”.
I’m a newbye in this world of OSC and my language is italian so in these first steps is difficult find a solution.

I just need translate 40 rotary encoders (mapped to midi cc numbers) to ch/[01…32]/mix/[01…16]/level but I made some mistake in entering the arguments.
I solved temporarily using Ableton connection kit. “Osc sends” is a max msp plugin that map a Live parameter to OSC command. I just need insert a parameter as /ch/02/mix/13/level without arguments and map it to an empty software’s rotary encoder. Then i map that encoder to my midi controller. I saved a Live songs completely mapped but I don’t want launching Ableton everytime!
Unfortunately Livid ds1 doesn’t support sysex command so i can’t send direcly to x32 midi in without a computer but an app just like yours (midi2osc or midioscittt) could be a slim and smart solution…with the right config file 😅

Can you send me an example of command for x32MiditoOSC config file? I have to map rotary encoders(midi cc) to send level, also if possible buttons (cc or note number assegnable) to mute channel and faders(cc) to channel faders

Thank you for support

Return to “M/X32 Consoles”