How to play iPod thru LR while muting it in busses (IEMs)?

M32 and X32 Digital Consoles
josephwit

How to play iPod thru LR while muting it in busses (IEMs)?

Post by josephwit »

We want to play our iPod break music through our main speakers while muting it in our IEM bus mixes (Bus 1-5) so we can sound check quietly to ourselves with our in-ears before our shows.

We want to hear the iPod in our IEMs when we are NOT sound-checking - we need to hear when the music fades down so we can start.

We have our mains connected via matrix mixes, with LR routed to the matrix mixes, so we can use the matrix faders to control the different mains levels.

Our band instrument and vocal channels route to LR Main.

We have our iPod input channels routed to another bus mix (not to LR), and from there to the same matrix mixes, so when we mute LR, we mute the band in the mains but the iPod stays playing. The iPod channel sends send to our IEM monitor busses. Is there a way to mute the iPod channel sends to our 5 monitor bus mixes with one button?

Ideal would be a mute group with LR and the 5 iPod channel send mutes assigned to it - but I don't think the channel sends (iPod input channels-SEND tab - "on/off" for the sends to busses) can be assigned to a mute group?

Any way I am missing? Thanks!
GaryH

Re: How to play iPod thru LR while muting it in busses (IEMs)?

Post by GaryH »

@josephwit You might try using a DCA for the desired iem ch's. IIRC when you mute a dca only the FOH version of those ch's is muted not the bus (IEM) feeds. All the ch's you do WANT to hear in the iem (excluding the ipod music or whatever) are part of that dca. Leave the DCA main fader at unity. When you want to adjust the iem mixes pre gig, in between songs etc, mute just the DCA, unmute when the gig starts. Also don't check off 'Hard mutes' and 'DCA groups' on the mixer setup page, leave them unchecked,
KMaxwell

Post by KMaxwell »

Double Assign the iPod, that way you can have one of the set of the iPod channels go to the house only and the other set of iPod channels go to the house AND the IEM Mix bus sends. Then just mute one and un-mute the other one. If you want to make it work on only one button you could make a snippet (you might want to edit it to be sure that it only does this) that you can recall with a user defined key that brings up one channel while taking the other channel out.
josephwit

Post by josephwit »

Interesting! Actually, iPod is already double assigned - comes in on Aux channels, and 2 additional input channels use those Aux channels as source. Only issue is that we do use the fader for the iPod, fade it off when the band starts, and we wouldn't want a level change when we switched between channels. I can mute the iPod sends to the IEM busses using just the one set of input channels, but I have to click 4 buttons to individually mute the sends to the 4 IEM mixes. Not the end of the world but not ideal. If there is a way to automate that to one button, I don't know it.
josephwit

Post by josephwit »

Same issue with using a DCA. I have it set up so our stage channels go thru LR, and routed the iPod to a bus and then from there to the Matrix busses that feed the speakers with LR off, so muting LR mutes the stage but leaves the iPod in the mains. That works fine. Issue is hearing the iPod in the IEM mixbusses on the same fader that feeds the iPod to the mains, but being able to mute it just in the mix busses. I can turn off the iPod sends to the mix busses individually, but was hoping for an easier way.

Return to “M/X32 Consoles”