Midi Fader Adjust level relative

M32 and X32 Digital Consoles
UKMark

Midi Fader Adjust level relative

Post by UKMark »

Hi
Is it possible to adjust a fader level with midi in a relative way? IE add or reduce the level by a number of DB, rather than having to specify a specific value?
Many thanks
Mark
pmaillot

Re: Midi Fader Adjust level relative

Post by pmaillot »

You read the data from that fader, add or subtract the relative dB amount and send resulting the data back to the console.
UKMark

Post by UKMark »

Hmmm, I can do the setting part just fine, how do I read current value with midi?
pmaillot

Post by pmaillot »

You'll need to use OSC to read data. X/M32 do not send MIDI data (except for their restricted DAW mode)

Edit...

Or maybe with the proper setting wrt MIDI mode/remote:
Faders Tx/Rx on MIDI ch1, CC0-79, 0-127: Fader Level Value 95 = 0dB
UKMark

Post by UKMark »

Thanks for your help. But I am not understanding what I need to do over Midi to read the current fader value. Can you point me in the right direction? Or am I misunderstanding what can be done? Maybe it is OSC only…
Thanks
pmaillot

Post by pmaillot »

I don't have access to my X32 for the next 3 weeks (traveling). I actually don't think MIDI can be read from the X/M32.
The tables in the documentation (got them from Behringer at the time) mention Rx and Tx for faders on ch 1, cc 0..79, But I barely use MIDI and never tried.

I think MIDI doesn't provide a request/answer mode as OSC does. Maybe I'm wrong...

I definitely would go OSC for what you're after, it's easy to program too.

-Patrick
UKMark

Post by UKMark »

Hi Patrick
Yes I think that is right. I have read the docs over and over and see no way to read back a current setting.
I have been looking into OSC. Looks pretty complex (to me!) but I have found a client I can use from my iPad or iPhone called “Touch OSC” which seems to help.
Do you have any recommendations on a good OSC client I can get started with that will help me get going?
Thank you
Mark
pmaillot

Post by pmaillot »

It all depends what you want to do, in which environment and what to interface with.

I wrote many different applications including x32_Command which you can find on my website.
UKMark

Post by UKMark »

Hi
Yes I saw all your amazing apps, they are great. unfortunately for me, they are mostly Windows. I am using Mac and I wanted to do this function on a iPad. My 'use case is; I play in a covers band and we don't have a sound engineer, I run sound from on stage with an x32 Rack and the X32 app on an iPad. I also play guitar so fiddling with touch sliders to increase the singers microphone just a little (1 or 2 db) is very tricky. I want to have a simple (big !! :) ) button on my iPad screen that says (Add 1 db and another for Subtract 1db). Then I can just tap the button quickly to get a small adjustment quickly. So much easier than trying to slide a touch screen fader.
Hope that explains what I am looking to do
If you could get me started with an example OSC command to do this on a fader (fader level, not gain) that would be wonderful.
Safe travels!
Mark
stufenbau

Post by stufenbau »

Hi @UKMark

You could use a MorningStar MIDI controller that supports "CC Value Scroll". You can use a counter on the controller and have it increase or decrease by 1 via a button press. The value is then sent to MIDI channel 1 to control a fader via a CC message. With this you can increase and or descrease the level as required. To increase or decrease by more than one per press you could also either chain various messages on a normal "press" or "long press".
Just keep in mind that this does not read back any values if you change the sound on the X32 Rack directly.

https://morningstarengineering.atlassia ... +CC+Values
https://behringer.world/wiki/doku.php?id=x32_midi_table
UKMark wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:16 am Hi
Is it possible to adjust a fader level with midi in a relative way? IE add or reduce the level by a number of DB, rather than having to specify a specific value?
Many thanks
Mark

Return to “M/X32 Consoles”