Snapshots have no effect on Android 9 phone

The new Flow8 digital console
CParm

Snapshots have no effect on Android 9 phone

Post by CParm »

I just got my Flow 8. I intend to use it for small jobs and to always pack it as an emergency backup. Everything is working as expected except for snapshots.

I am using an old cell phone that runs Android 9. I pair successfully, both for the app and the audio. That's brilliant. And the app does everything it is supposed to do, other than the Snapshot Library. The Mixer Snapshots work fine, but I am afraid I will lose those if I have to reset sometime, so I would like the Snapshot library to work. It isn't a disaster if it never works, but I'd like to try.

The strange thing is that when saving snapshots, it all seems to work. The Library indicates the snapshot exists under the name I gave it. Oddly, it has a date of 2012 or something. There are no error messages, but I am thinking there may be a permissions issue that is preventing the save from happening completely, because when I recall the snapshot, nothing is actually restored.

I swear that one time in 10, the loading of a saved snapshot actually does work, but I can't repeat that.

Does anybody have any ideas about this?

(As an aside, this is a really useful package for a compact mixer. I am surprised Behringer hasn't made one with a few more preamps. I'd think that would sell well.)
Karnage

Re: Snapshots have no effect on Android 9 phone

Post by Karnage »

Hello and Welcome.

I certainly can't manage to replicate these issues on iOS (several versions), so it does sound like an Android specific issue.

There was another post by someone having issues with Snapshots on the Music Tribe forum I believe, but I never got an answer as to what operating system they were running the app on. They were getting an issue with an odd date being applied to every snapshot which resonates here. It was a much earlier date if I remember (that forum appears down currently).

Is this device the only device you have that could run the app? I have run it on an iPad. You could use an iPad or Android tablet to do no more than back up your Snapshots, even if you intend to generally use the Android phone for live operation.

Best, Karn.
CParm

Post by CParm »

I did more testing today. I found that the snapshot library did work for about 10 minutes, and that included my being able to load snapshots I had created earlier in the week, so the files are being saved on the Android phone. But then, the function just stopped working. Restarting the app and doing a power cycle of the Flow 8 did not get it working again.

However, it started working again after I completely rebooted my phone and selected "Start new" when reconnecting. I did not touch the Flow 8 during that process, so clearly the problem is somewhere in the Android system, but I cannot isolate what causes the snapshots to stop working. But it is nice to know that apparently I can save good snapshots at any time, even if I can't restore them without a phone reboot.
CParm

Post by CParm »

Karnage wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:25 pm It was a much earlier date if I remember (that forum appears down currently).
Thank you. Yes, I was in error. The date is 1969-12-21.
Last edited by CParm on Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CParm

Post by CParm »

Karnage wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:25 pm Is this device the only device you have that could run the app?
No. I could use other devices, and they would probably work OK. I have this otherwise useful Android cell phone -- no longer used as a phone -- on which I have all my background music loaded. The battery is good enough to make it through any gig I am likely to do. It is awesome that I can both control the Flow 8 and also stream music via Bluetooth, so this is perfect for my "micro PA" setup. Even if I don't get the Snapshot Library thing sorted out, I'll probably stick with this Android phone. I can always use the Mixer Snapshots.

Hmmm. I wonder if things are getting hosed in Android when I try to use the app at the same time I am sending music via Bluetooth.
Karnage

Post by Karnage »

CParm wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:48 pm Thank you. Yes, I was in error. The date is 1969-12-21.
That's the date the other user mentioned. Sounds like an Android specific issue, possibly with that version of Android. I don't get the feeling you are doing anything wrong as such.

It does sound like doing any backing up on another device but using this for your gigging is the plan.
CParm wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:53 pm The battery is good enough to make it through any gig I am likely to do.
That's good news. I find the iOS app rather battery hungry - far more than the X-Air Edit app for example. Fine for a 'normal gig' but not for open mic nights where 4+ hours of operation is likely. A power bank is a must for us in those instances.

Best, Karn.
CParm

Post by CParm »

Karnage wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:20 am It does sound like doing any backing up on another device but using this for your gigging is the plan.
My regular phone is Android 11, and I think it does the snapshots OK. I don't like using my regular phone connected to the PA because if I get a phone call, it may come across the PA, which can be embarrassing. :)

But this will all be fine. Now, if the doggone USB cable will come in the mail, I will be able to test multi-track recording to a Samsung pad running Bandlab or maybe some other "micro DAW" app.

Just a little more background on this "Micro PA" concept. I have a pair of Samson XP312w speakers that are battery powered (12 hours), 300W each with a little mixer and wireless mic, and also have handle and wheels built in. I have lots of bigger QSC and EV equipment, but for little jobs, I don't think you can beat these XP312s. However, the wireless is their "Concert 88" generation, which is decent sound quality, but when they drop out, they make a horrible noise.

I have some Shure wireless SLX kit. Along the way I also accumulated some of the Samson Concert 99 line, which is really very comparable in quality and features to the SLX, and never does that annoying dropout noise. I have a rack of 4 of those Samson C99 receivers, 4 of the Concert99 handhelds plus 4 of the Samson airline clip-on instrument mics that work with the Concert 99 receivers. I actually ended up with 2 extra Concert99 receivers, so I velcro them together, and they will fit in a very compact bag along with the Flow 8, power cord, 4 wired mics, and any other odds and ends. About the size of a picnic basket. And the wireless receivers have line out, so they can go in channels 5 & 7 on the Flow 8 giving me 6 mic channels.

With my little picnic basket thing, plus 1 or 2 of the XP312s, I can tote the entire PA system with one trip from the van and 6 mics will cover a lot of gigs. With a stout USB power pack, I don't even need to mess with wall power. Life is good. And if the multi-track recording to Bandlab works out, watch out.

Return to “Flow8”