New stagebox firmware

GaryH

New stagebox firmware

Post by GaryH »

New firmware for S/DL32/16 etc released, supposedly fixes Wing issues for use with both pirts and also I see new firmware for SD16/8 with Wing support. Not sure what that means for SD versions regarding “both ports”. Good news overall!
KMaxwell

Re: New stagebox firmware

Post by KMaxwell »

If anyone is having a problem with upgrading one of the stage boxes go back to the Music Tribe product page where you got the firmware update file from and download it again. When you download it you will see that the file name is slightly different and the date on it is April 17th 2024. They made changes to it so it should be easier to load it into the stage box.
angr77

Post by angr77 »

And I can just confirm- the upgrade works like a charm now on both my S16 and S32 updating from my Microsoft Surface Pro 5 with W11 and also from my HP Elitebook with W10. (You don’t even need to run it in admin mode)

So nice captured, Behringer!

Best regards

Anders
Angr77, Flow 8, XR18, Mackie DL32S, X32 Core, X32 Rack and WING + S32, 2x S16 + X-Touch and A&H CQ20B
Developer of www.z-liverec.com
DaveT

Post by DaveT »

I think more to the point it -- what does the new firmware actually do, because so far, I can't see any fixes from it. Perhaps we need to wait on a wing update to compliment it, as that was where it initially got broke on V2... Ohh well, only time will tell I suppose.
GaryH

Post by GaryH »

@DaveT With regard to the SD series I would have to agree. Not sure what this update does for anyone. With the S/DL stageboxes there is a fairly elaborate chart showing what each mode does. The SD boxes have no modes so who knows. Maybe they now make better coffee? I did not get to connect any to a Wing yet...will try to do it this am.

EDIT: Figured I would do it now least I forget. I connected 2 daisy chained 8's and they sync'd up ok. I tried the B port on one SD8 to the Wing-no love. So my "hopes" were dashed. The new firmware does not appear to allow mixer access form the SD8 B port (like a DL32) I also tried 1 SD to Wing port A and 1 SD to Wing port B which also works. So I am not sure what great gains were made. To be honest I don't recall the SD boxes not working before so I see a no change. There could well be more to it than what I observe but time will tell.
DaveT

Post by DaveT »

I think im going to look at going back a step in the firmware -- too many random things happening with the port B on the stage boxes

SD8

Port B, Sometimes the desk doesn't light up the port red or green on the display), but both LEDs on the stage box light green
Port B, Sometimes once again the desk doesn't light up the port red or green on the display, but no LEDS light up on the Stage box.
Port B, Sometimes the desk lights up the port red on the display, and no LEDs on the stage box

Connecting both port A and port B to two ports on the wing, results in both LEDS on the stage box lighting up and the display showing both green connected, however only port A on the SD is actually passing audio.

SD16

Port B, Sometimes the desk lights up the port red on the display, and no LEDS on the stage box
Port B, Sometimes the desk doesn't light up the port red or green on the display, and no LEDS on the stage box

Connecting both port A and port B to two ports on the wing, results in both LEDS on the stage box lighting up and the display showing both green connected, however only port A on the SD is actually passing audio.

on both SD8 and SD16, when connecting to the B port, even although they dont pass audio, they show random connection red or no connection on the display of the desk, however -- the wing DOES show the sd8 or 16 on the bottom of the screen. So Port B is being recognised to some degree even although they wont pass audio

All very very random, and a simple unplug and plug shows a different fault.

This was all with proper cables Ethercon shields, 3 Mts in length, tested for shell to shell continuity.

Further testing -- Daisy chaining

Wing to SD8 port A, SD8 port B to SD16 Port A -- all works as expected, correct LEDs, and correct display on the wing
Wing to SD8 port A, SD8 port B to SD16 Port B -- SD16 shows on the wing display daisy chained, but no LEDs on the stage box port B, and refuses to pass audio, the port B led on the SD8 flashes red.

The exact same happens if you swap the SD8 for the SD16 -- ie. wing to SD16, SD16 to SD8

All very random etc as I said -- I think im going to hunt down the older firmware and back off to it, and try the same tests. I would rather have a firmware with solid issues, rather than a firmware with random ones. At least you know where you stand on a busy stage environment with a cable plugged in incorrectly, rather than chasing faults with randomLED colours and display statuses etc on a dodgy firmware

Dave
KMaxwell

Post by KMaxwell »

"Connecting both port A and port B to two ports on the wing, results in both LEDS on the stage box lighting up and the display showing both green connected, however only port A on the SD is actually passing audio."

That behavior if wired to the same WING doesn't surprise me. I think the WING is smart enough to know it already has that stage box connected on the first ASE50.

What firmware do you have installed on the WING?

Have you tried turning on any of these stage boxes that aren't working first and then turning on the WING. Just a test. I had to do that with an X32Compact with version 4.06 and a DL32 running the new firmware to get it to work. This was just a temporary setup to see what worked.

Have you tried re-seating the RJ45 connector in the Ethercon by loosening up the Ethercon and pushing it in all of the way and then re-tightening it making sue it is still in all of the way?

Have you tried using a short regular Ethernet CAT5 cable without the Ethercon shell on it? This is just to test it. It can work this way just don't' use it this way for a show.
DaveT

Post by DaveT »

"Connecting both port A and port B to two ports on the wing, results in both LEDS on the stage box lighting up and the display showing both green connected, however only port A on the SD is actually passing audio. -- in fairness the display did show the second daisy chain as a wing,

What firmware do you have installed on the WING? -- bang up to date v2 -- I can't help but think they have released the stage box firmware prematurely and that the wing will need the update to make it all work (after all, it was the release of an updated firmware last year that broke the stage boxes in the first instance)

Have you tried turning on any of these stage boxes that aren't working first and then turning on the WING -- yes , tried that -- same random results

Have you tried re-seating the RJ45 connector in the Ethercon by loosening up the Ethercon and pushing it in all of the way and then re-tightening it making sue it is still in all of the way? -- all connections are tight, and have tried a selection of 3 or 4 cables during testing with same results

Have you tried using a short regular Ethernet CAT5 cable without the Ethercon shell on it? -- I have some 1m long fully screened cables minus ethercons - will try it later (cables are in the warehouse at present).
\

Ive downloaded v1.3 and v1.4 - will downgrade and try them later to see what difference there is.

Thanks mate

Return to “Stageboxes”