My new Midas DL32

GaryH

Re: My new Midas DL32

Post by GaryH »

@Heavy90 Are you using 1.8? It’s supposedly just adding DP48 related stuff, but it may have bug fixes as well…OR maybe it’s the other way around…1.8 added a bug! In which case try 1.7? I am not able to get at mine right now….
Heavy90

Post by Heavy90 »

Hey. Thanks for reply. Have you tried it with the fan turning off and on?

Yes. I updated it to 1.8 directly.
Heavy90

Post by Heavy90 »

Is the fan normally always on? Or heat related?
GaryH

Post by GaryH »

My DL32 is currently buried in its case, I will try to pull it out and check it. From memory, (I am likely on 1.7) I seem to recall it just running normally on reboot. I have not really used that option on the DL in a while. Maybe I can check it later today.
Heavy90

Post by Heavy90 »

ive tried to go down to 1.7. still no fan. Then updating back to 1.8 and still no fan. Tomorrow i will connect it to my Wing. Lets see what happens then.
GaryH

Post by GaryH »

@Heavy90 I reached out to Midas on this as it was easier than pulling my DL out at the moment. They responded with this:

"Unfortunately this is a "power-on" setting change. As far as I'm aware, the device should boot with the fan on unless you hold the mute all button. So you'll need to decide between power cycle's whether you want the fan running or not, as there is no option to change it while the stagebox is running."

It doesn't seem like thats exactly a definitive answer but it is also how I recall mine worked. I am guessing you may need service...another thought is maybe it only comes on when the temp reaches a certain point and would come on if you leave it running long enough (guessing)
Heavy90

Post by Heavy90 »

Hey Gary,

thanks for your realy helpfull reply.

The fan is now working again. i have leave it on a few hours. the DL32 gets warm on the XLR front (a little over hand warm). and at sometime the fan was on. after turning it off and back on the fan was still on, and the unit was cold then. right now i dont really now if the fan is controlled via heat. but, if so. the trick with the mute switch on powerup makes no sense for me. in that time i tried it to hit the mute switch while powering off. after powering on again i notice the fan is on. i havnt checked it that moment before. now, a bit unsure.

from what the guy at midas said sounds like he is unsure himself. Why do they say how to turn it off and not how to turn it on.

when the fan is controled via heat, why is there a need to turning it off, since it is off normaly at safe temperature.
GaryH

Post by GaryH »

"when the fan is controled via heat, why is there a need to turning it off, since it is off normaly at safe temperature."

I think maybe for the studio/recording people who need totally quiet equipment, just a guess.

I agree they should have added a little info of how it becomes on again and how it operates. I think if it is temp controlled, it's not related to dangerous overheating, but a point much earlier where it would help keep the unit cooler longer. Their DL16 does not have a fan. It doesn't seem to ever get too hot to work properly. Who knows. If it was a dangerous heat issue, seems like they would have to warn people who turn it off. Again just guessing.
KMaxwell

Post by KMaxwell »

Over the years I have had experiences with some electronics were the engineers that designed it admitted that they were being overly cautious of the heat and in at least one case they admitted that the fan wasn't even necessary and told people how to disable it.

You might be surprised at how hot a lot of electronics can get and not cause any problems. I could see if you had a DL32 in the studio area where you are recording something that is really quit you might want the fan off if for someone things it is too loud. But if that is the case you may really want any electronics with a noisy fan in a sound proofed equipment room.

I had some ETC lighting dimmer racks in a church that the fans were too loud. The ETC Rep I was working with on this told me it was OK the disable the fans in the rack. I wasn't willing to go that far so I put a device (a panel mounted Variac) in the rack to control the speed of the fans. and this solved the problem, there was enough air flow without it being too loud. I couldn't find a quieter fan that would fit.

I had some amplifier racks with the old style amps, Heavy iron type with big heat sinks and no fans in the amps. The standard thing to do was to put fans on the back panel of the rack up towards the top of the panel. So I had dual fans on the back panel. I think they were 5" muffin fans. At the time I could real easily find the 14 watt version and a little harder to find the 7 watt version. The 14w ones were too loud in a quit room but the 7w ones were usually fine. I wired them with a switch so I could have none running or only one or both of them running, this solved any noise problem I would have had.

A lot of fan noise from fans could be solved with quieter fans running slower and maybe some better heat sinking on devices that really need it.
Heavy90

Post by Heavy90 »

I’m Mixing live metal Music Shows with that DL32. I don’t care about fan noise 😅. Don’t want to risk lifespan with an always hot unit 🤔

When i start the unit cold on next weekend i will check if and when the Fan kicks in. I‘ll let you know. And very thank you for your help and Input. I really appreciate that.
Last edited by Heavy90 on Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Stageboxes”