Flow 8 for live work

The new Flow8 digital console
grannis21

Re: Flow 8 for live work

Post by grannis21 »

For me it's ideal. I've mixed shows using the X32 and the XR18 before, so I'm very comfortable using a digital mixer. The Flow8 is amazing for its size and price. They've made the mostly commonly tweaked stuff available on the unit itself, but packed the kind of extra features you don't normally get on a mixer of this size and price in the app. But crucially, these are the kinds of things you usually want to set once and forget. And because the app uses bluetooth rather than wifi, it seems (so far) to be be less prone to dropouts.
ztbishop

Post by ztbishop »

I got a flow 8 to use with Guitar Rig and Amplitude. Every few minutes I get a quick pop noise through asio live playback, but the recordings don't capture the noise. I've tried a replacement with no luck. Sample rate matches windows settings. I've tried every buffer size up to max, different cables, speakers, daws. Every firmware with updated behringer drivers. No other audio interface gives me issues, even with the buffers at 16. Do you guys not have this problem? Native windows usb playback is fine, just asio live playback gives me pop noise problems. Tried behringer asio, and asio4all.
therentabrain

Post by therentabrain »

I haven't had these problems, but based on your description, it sounds like hardware. Have you tried Behringer? Maybe they'll swap it out.

Have you tried using WASAPI default Windows drivers, just to see? I guess you might not be able to do live monitoring that way.

You're recording via ASIO while you're monitoring the live ASIO and the recordings don't have the pops? Is the audio coming out of the computer or out of the Flow8?

I think this should be its own topic, btw; easier to find and may get a better response.
Ginnimusic23

Post by Ginnimusic23 »

How do you set up your effect on one channel, stay for a guitar and not have it affect the mic channel? I have not perfected this yet. I feel it shouldn’t be this difficult.
kgallen

Post by kgallen »

Hi @Ginnimusic23 ,

Only "Send" the guitar channel to the FX.

On the app, on the FX1 (or FX2) tab, only have the fader (one of the 6 on the left) pushed up for the guitar channel (start with it at the 4th thick white line from the bottom, this is 0dB). Faders for all of the other channels should be all the way down at the bottom. The right hand fader under the "FX" logo should also be up. Again, start it at the 4th thick white line up, but reduce it if there is too much of the FX in your mix.

If you want to do this on the physical mixer, press the FX1 button, then on the 6 faders, move them all up until the light above each fader goes off, then bring them all down to the bottom. Then push up only the fader that relates to your guitar. Then wind the large master knob on the right until the LEDs show about 3/4 of max. Wind this down if there is too much FX in your mix.

Press the Main button or tab to get back to the faders and master for your main mix.
Brosio

Post by Brosio »

Old post but trying to find out more about linking to a flow 8 to AUM on iPad for live use. Is it possible to get Bluetooth connection for AUM as with sun the Flow 8 app? Or can you only use a USB b to lightning cable for hard connection.

Want to figure out how to;
- get access to splitting the stereo channels to get 8 inputs ( like you can do when using flow 8 with a daw on laptop)
- use AUM’s more robust mixer
- still be able to mix wirelessly/walk around

Mainly trying to avoid having a laptop at the gig
mikebullock

Post by mikebullock »

RexBeckett wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:12 am
paulfostershow wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:24 am Thank you you your help guys, I think I'll give it a go. I can see many benefits for my application, I was just a little worried about the level of attention I would need on stage.
The Flow 8 surface is easy to use for simple channel and/or main level changes during live performance. If you need to make changes to EQ, FX or Dynamics for some songs, I recommend using snapshots rather then using the app on a phone or tablet in a live performance.

You can use up to 15 mixer snapshots to save settings at rehearsal or soundcheck. These can be recalled on the mixer with a few clicks and turns. An easier way is to configure the footswitch for snapshot loading and use a two-button pedal for snapshot-up and snapshot-down. If you can avoid changes to channel faders between snapshots, you could block them from snapshot loading (turn Main off) so that any manual fader changes during performance are not lost when switching snapshots.

If you use the footswitch for snapshot control, you lose pedal control of FX muting and Tap-tempo. These are quite easy to do on the console, though.

If you use a PC/Mac/iPad connected via USB with DAW or set-list software for backing tracks, you could load required snapshots through Midi. You could also use Midi control of individual mixer controls to supplement or replace snapshots.
Hi Rex,
Am a little confused by the quote 'If you can avoid changes to channel faders between snapshots, you could block them from snapshot loading (turn Main off) so that any manual fader changes during performance are not lost when switching snapshots.'
The first part of your sentence begins by suggesting that any fader adjustments should be avoided, but the second part suggests that any fader changes 'are not lost' when changing snapshots (perhaps I'm misreading...?).
The reason I ask is that I am trying to achieve just this, but each time I change snapshots, I AM losing these fader adjustments (yes I have unticked 'Main' in the mixer snapshots screen.
Thanks,
Mike
therentabrain

Post by therentabrain »

Am a little confused by the quote 'If you can avoid changes to channel faders between snapshots, you could block them from snapshot loading (turn Main off) so that any manual fader changes during performance are not lost
I am rusty, but I believe there's a way to load snapshots without loading faders. I think there's a way to lock or unaffect the faders when loading snapshots. Not sure though

Return to “Flow8”