AES/EBU on DL32?

KMaxwell

AES/EBU on DL32?

Post by KMaxwell »

AES/EBU on DL32?

It looks like the ASE/EBU outputs on the DL32 are fixed as outputs 13/14 and 15/16. Is that true? I put the DBX Drive Rack 4800 (DSP) at the stage and was going to plug into it with the AES/EBU outputs from the DL32 but I already had monitors on outputs 9-16 and I didn’t want to change that last minute since it was already working.

The show earlier in the week I had the DSP at FOH and ran a return snake. We are gradually making changes. And at that show I used the one AES/EBU output on the WING to feed the digital inputs 1&2 on the DBX4800. I assumed that the WING could send separate signals (not just what was going to 13/14 & 15/16) to the AES/EBU on the DL32 but unless I am missing it I don’t see how to do that.

I am going to see if I can match the setting in the DBX4800 in the WING. But I think it might be too much to expect from the WING to be able to match the sound of a DSP that many years ago cost more than the WING costs. But for this setup I am hoping to soon change out the DBX4800 with a DSP (that I have) that has the FIR filtering capability for the speakers we have been using. But that has other implications since to really get the benefit of the FIR filters I have to run the tops bi amped.
pvannatto

Re: AES/EBU on DL32?

Post by pvannatto »

@KMaxwell the DL32 is a dumb stagebox (in contrast to the DL16) in that there are no settings to change. The AES/EBU are fixed outputs of 13/14 and 15/16 and the ADAT are fixed outputs of 17-32. The Wing on the other hand has full flexibility for AES/EBU input and output assignments.

Regarding your comment of emulating the DBX4800 outputs on the Wing, it is definitely worth a try. There is a lot more under the hood of the Wing that we don't know (or have discovered). If you do some experimenting, please let us know on this forum, so that we can refer to it later down the road. Posting it on the official forum is going to be a futile effort 6 months down the road (you'll never find it).
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator
GaryH

Re: AES/EBU on DL32?

Post by GaryH »

@KMaxwell All the ports on all the stage boxes have fixed aes50 assignments of some sort, not just the aes/ebu ports. It’s perhaps unfortunate that those 4 xlr and aes/ebu ports overlap but something would have to somewhere. Aes50 13-16 however can still be assigned to ANY sources from the Wing. It seems the only choice (if the desired output sources are different) is to work your other buses away from the aes50a ch 13-16. If you had a spare DL16 or SD8 or similar for one of the other 2 Wing ports that would work.

Return to “Stageboxes”