XMWingConv?

This section provides support for Paul's apps
KMaxwell

XMWingConv?

Post by KMaxwell »

XMWingConv?

@pvannatto First I want to thank you for all of the work that you do for us to help us with all of these utilities besides everything else that you do.

In the instructions of the Wing Snipshot Toolbox in the converter section it says “Before loading the converted snapshot into the Wing, it is recommended that the console be initialized first.” That is the one thing I haven’t done when loading a converted snapshot into the Wing. I was wondering what is reset in the WING when one initializes the console. There was a time when initializing something cleared out EVERYTHING and reset it to how it would come out of the Box from the factory. I think it was called a factory reset. So I have been very hesitant to do an initialization. Does it just give you an empty snapshot? I wonder if I should for future use just save an empty Snapshot to recall when I want to load a converted scene. Or if there are certain things like Monitor EQs (and some other thing related to the outputs) that I always use with this system that would be helpful to leave and have it so that when I import a converted M32 scene I have those things already in the Snapshot. I haven’t played around with the Snapshot safes settings. Would I set some of them so the imported Snipshot doesn’t overwrite certain things?

Do you also have a list of what if anything isn’t working properly in the converter at the moment?

I have converted a few M32 scenes for some shows and I had to massage a few things but I don’t remember what they were. The last scene I converted I unselected some filters and now that I look at that again does that mean if a filter is selected that is does or doesn’t convert that selection. I thought that if you filter something you are excluding it.

The WING is loaded in a truck for some upcoming shows so it isn’t easily accessible. I was going to bring it home yesterday and play around with the M32 scene but transporting it and getting it into my house is more work than it sounds like it would be. The scene is what we used when we last worked with the band that is playing this Sunday.
pvannatto

Re: XMWingConv?

Post by pvannatto »

Hi Kevin @KMaxwell , first of all you are most welcome. Its been a pleasure providing these software tools to the X32/M32, X-Air/M-Air and Wing users.

Regarding the question about first initialising the console before loading in the converted X32/M32 scenes, snapshots are loaded in the same manner as M32 scenes in that the console's engine reads the data from top to bottom and changes the appropriate settings. Due to the fact that the M32 only has a subset of Wing features, the converted scene (to snapshot) will only change those settings. If you have an existing snapshot loaded (of another band, for example) before loading the converted snapshot, some settings may remain (as a residule effect), since the converted snapshot would not include those settings (eg. channels 33-40, Main 3-4, etc.). This may or may not cause added grief, primarily to non-seasoned users (eg. newbies). That is why I recommended that the Wing be initialised (to factory default) before loading the converted snapshot. Of course for the more experienced user, it might be handy to have some of the routing, etc. already established in the Wing before loading the converted snapshot, which may result in less post-massaging.

The Wing initialisation in essence gives you a blank slate, as it was when it came out of the factory. Remember though that snapshots save all settings of the console, which is different than the M32 scenes (which saves most of the settings). This means that if you initialise the Wing, then load an existing snapshot, you won't lose any of the settings.

Because the Wing structure is so different from the M32, I had to make some specific conversion decisions. For example, the Main M/C (of the M32) does not exist in the Wing (per se). So I decided that the converter would make Main 2 as the Main M/C. For your setup (which you have describe in detail), that particular decision doesn't fit. So I am adding more user options to the next release in order to accommodate a more refined conversion. The next release will also provide conversion in both direction. Unfortunately the development of this next release has been stalled somewhat. My wife has launched a major de-cluttering project (of our house/garage) and I got conscripted. I'm hoping to get back to completing the update soon.

Regarding the bugs I found during the development of the next release, I did find a couple of minor bugs. I just checked the Revisions.txt document and for some unknown reason, I forgot to document those fixes.

I honestly haven't played with any of the snapshot filters, since they remind me of scene safes. So I can't provide much info about them.
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator
KMaxwell

Re: XMWingConv?

Post by KMaxwell »

The show today was cancelled due to rain so I had some time to do the following. I opened up the M32 and copied a few scenes that are for bands that we have worked with before and are on our schedule very soon. Then back at the shop we brought the WING in and I played around with converting and checking out the scenes and massaging them so there will be less work to do on show day for these bands.

I tried to load a converted scene into the WING with hardly anything selected on the library import. I was basically trying to make a blank scene. It didn’t give me what I thought it would. I can see why you suggest that one initializes the console before loading in a scene. Some things behaved very strangely I couldn’t pin down what was causing the errors I think part of it might have had to do with an orphaned Mute group or a DCA TAG. But I think I got it all working in the end.

Thank you for your help.

Return to “Paul's Apps Support”