Routing question.

M32 and X32 Digital Consoles
GaryH

Re: Routing question.

Post by GaryH »

KMaxwell wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:43 pm You are either a very early riser or you stay up really late.
Both :-)

2 things with that user out menu. To get tap points you need to use a source group that allows it and there are only 3 groups: Out 1-16, ultranet out and aux out. You can of course access parts of other source groups as well but if they don't have tap points then you don't get them for those particular ch's either. For instance one 8 ch user out bank might be: outputs ch's 1 and 2 both post fader, aux out ch's 1 and 2 pre eq and then card out 1-4 (card outs have no tap points) see the first pic below (sorry I'm no artist)

The other important part is to use the "user out" banks you made for that SD16 you would go to aes50B out 33-48 and change ultranet out 1-8 and ultranet out 9-16 to "user out" 1-8 and "user out" 9-16. (see the second picture)

KMaxwell

Post by KMaxwell »

I updated the X32FOH to 4.06 today. I am not sure what I think yet. There are some things I really like. And some I am not too sure about. I am in the process of switching everything over. I got pretty far along today.

I will review my setup – I am connected X32FOH to the DL32 using AES50a. The X32Rack uses ASE50a to the DL32 AES50b. That all seems to be working as expected. But on the routing page where it shows the connected devices on AES50-A it shows the DL32 (only but not the X32Rack in the same box like it did the other day) but it now says 1 of 2 in that box but I don’t know how to see the 2 part of that.

I still have one of the SD16 stage boxes hooked up from X32FOH AES50b to SD16 AES50a. And it shows that in the connected devices box AES50-B. As I am writing this I just was wondering if I need to update the Firmware in the SD16. My plan was to just use the SD16 as a way to get the Ultranet to stage right and that seems to work just fine. But I then discovered today that we needed to continue using the iPad that runs the Tracks and Click from the drum riser that is stage right. They are planning on eventually doing that from FOH. So I figured I would put the 2 channels from the DI Box into that SD16. And I discovered that the new user input section is very awkward looking on the X32. I selected AES50b 1 for channel 26 for the track playback and AES50b for Channel 27 for the Click track. But I wasn’t getting the signal from the SD16 stage box inputs 1&2. I had input working if I selected the SD16 inputs 1&2 going to the Aux 1&2 inputs but the way the console is setup at the moment those channels aren’t available for use. I am trying to get them to make some changes to free that up. The Routing in the X32 4.3 edit looks like I should be able to do what I want and the X32 itself looked like it sound have worked but the channels 26&27 still had A26&A27 as their source but more importantly I had no signal with a device playing back a song.

What am I missing?

Thank you for your help.
GaryH

Post by GaryH »

@KMaxwell

You really should update everything, X32, DL32 and SD16’s to the latest firmware. If not you may see some unexpected things happen or some operations may not work at all which will only complicate your situation 10 fold.

You really don’t need to worry about the 1 and 2 business too much or HOW its shown as long as all devices are being seen by the X32 and all are in sync (all green). It’s a very nice visual to confirm the devices are connected but that’s about it imo.

From the FOH X32 NPUTS perspective AES50A 1-32 will be the DL32 preamps, AES50A 33-48 INPUTS will be what the Rack has routed for AES50a out 1-16. AES50B 1-16 will be the SD16 preamps.

If you employ a user input bank or two you would put them in at the appropriate spot on your FOH home/inputs routing screen. If the aux inputs are all really needed (all 6?) and you can’t use aux remap (much easier) then it seems somewhat appropriate to keep things in line and substitute aes50b 1 and 2 for aes50 a 31 and 32. You won’t then have the DL32 preamps 31 and 32 to use but 32 regular input slots is all there is to use plus the 6 aux's. So one user input bank is all you really need and that should probably be used for input bank 4. So X32 home inputs would be aes50a 1-24 in groups of 8 and user in bank 1

User in bank 1 would need to be set up as aes50a25-30 for the first 6 inputs and aes50b 1 and 2 for inputs 7 and 8

That should put your playback and click on foh x32 ch's 31 and 32.

Last edited by GaryH on Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KMaxwell

Post by KMaxwell »

@GaryH Thank you. I think I see where I was making my mistake.

Return to “M/X32 Consoles”