How to flash Dante firmware files for the Wing using Dante Controller

Everything to do with the Dante Audio Networking aspect of the digital eco-system
GaryH

How to flash Dante firmware files for the Wing using Dante Controller

Post by GaryH »

I have recently helped a few people in other forums flash their Wing Dante cards. In that process I realized there were more steps and several clarifications needed than what I had originally thought to be necessary. So I retraced the steps and came up with this. I believe it to now be 100% accurate. The user however bears FULL responsibility for any problems that may occur. So be forewarned. There are risks involved and the cards are all expensive and COULD be damaged in the process. It is unlikely but possible. This was meant for flashing a Wing related 64 ch Dante Card but really applies to any Dante Card in your system. This assumes you have a functioning Dante network and all Dante devices used in the system are recognized by Dante Controller.

It's important to note there are 2 import related firmware sections in Dante Updater. One is in the LIBRARY section and one in the HOME section. This is VERY confusing and very easily missed! Just a one word difference exists between the 2 sections which otherwise appear quite similar. The Library section says “Imported Files” and the Home section says “Imported Firmware Files” Both of these sections have different functions in the process.

Flashing the firmware for Wing related Dante cards using the latest Dante Controller program:

EDIT: Both the internal Dante 64x64 and external Wing-Dante64 files can now be directly downloaded from the Wing product/software page.

1) In the latest Dante Controller program open the Dante Updater. It's the little icon that resembles a water drop with a dot inside it. You need to enable the advanced settings once you are in the Dante Updater to allow importing firmware files and allow flashing with different manufacturers firmware files. You can find this in the "Advanced Settings" in the top right drop down menu of Dante Updater.

2) Go to the LIBRARY section and type in “Behringer” (or whatever manufacturer) and you will see a list of appropriate firmware files to download. Three files are currently available from Behringer. One for X-Dante and two for the Wing, one internal and one external. Download the firmware files desired.

2) After downloading them you need to import them into the Dante Updater program itself. You would think the program would be smart enough to know exactly where IT downloaded them since it does so without asking, but it does NOT know. You need to find exactly where the files are located on your computer. Believe me, they are kept very well hidden!

On my Windows 10 machine they end up here:

\users\AppData\Local\DanteUpdater\User Data\Default\dnt_cache"

Make sure you allow viewing of hidden files in a Windows computer or you will never find the Appdata folder! It is a system file normally hidden.

On a Mac they are here:

/users/{username}/Library/Application Support/Dante Updater/Default/dnt_cache

It's much easier on a Mac to do a search for “dnt_cache” files.

3) Once you find where your files are located on your computer, go to the LIIBRARY section “Imported Files" area. Here you can import (upload) the firmware files that you downloaded. You will see a list of all the files that you have imported in this section.

4] Now go to the HOME tab and open the “Imported Firmware Files” section there. It will list all the Dante devices found in your Dante network. There is a little arrow next to each device that points to the right. Click on that arrow and it will then point downward and you will see a list of firmware files compatible with the specific card selected. Choose your file and follow the process. It will install the selected firmware file to the device! Once you have flashed your device there will also be a "roll back" option to allow you to essentially undo the whole process.

Related photos of the various key screens.

Last edited by GaryH on Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
curtbl

Re: How to flash Dante firmware files for the Wing using Dante Controller

Post by curtbl »

@GaryH Did you see there are two dante update files for the Wing now on the Behringer Wing software site? I have not had time to verify if they are the same as what we have already or updates. Either way check it out!
Curt
pmaillot

Post by pmaillot »

curtbl wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:22 am @GaryH Did you see there are two dante update files for the Wing now on the Behringer Wing software site? I have not had time to verify if they are the same as what we have already or updates. Either way check it out!
Curt
Yes I saw that too; Downloaded the FW files and will update before the week-end :) I don't know what the new version brings though...
-Patrick
GaryH

Post by GaryH »

@pmaillot @curtbl I did see that, I also did a library search at Audinate which curiously does NOT list either in the manufacturers Library. This makes me a bit worried. My worries are that the files may cause any non Behringer cards to no longer function....hey I'm a bit paranoid! I also was not connected to my actual Dante network when I looked so maybe it's only just that. If they are approved by audinate and listed there (which they should be) updating would be a near automatic process once connected to Dante Controller...shouldn't have to "try" very hard. I will also download them from Behringer site anyway and put them in Dante Controller, should then show up I would hope as "compatible' files. Not sure what they will bring to the table, hope something I didn't know I couldn't live without!
pmaillot

Post by pmaillot »

DANTE driver 4.2.3.13:

New Features
N/A (maintenance release)

Issues Resolved
SAG-1101: Enrolled device not visible in Dante Controller or dante_browsing_test after multiple reboots
TRID-367: Brooklyn II crashes with BBE 4.2.5.x application
EM-2980: Clocking: PTP loop due to non EUI-64 based third party clock
DEF-249: Maximum latency is wrong for low channel-count device
EM-2828: Implement full FQDN support for DDM discovery
TRID-452: Re-arrange reserved, linux and user partitions
TRID-106: Device stops sending audio packets when link on one port is disconnected but link on other port is connected
TRID-302: Support VLAN ConMon message for devices which have only legacy switch / redundancy config
TRID-754: DHCP leased list name repeated when device connected the first time
TRID-1091: When module_config version is less than 49, telnet is disabled
TRID-1097: Fix DHCP Client Implementation of RFC-4436
ROCK-123: Support MUL64 for FPGA
TRID-1162: Handling of 802.1q tagged packets with VLAN custom configuration
EM-1745: DDM interop: Config Settings not saved over sample rate change
SAG-1101: DDM interop: Enrolled device not visible in DC or dante_browsing_test after multiple reboots
DEF-4: DDM interop: Sample rate can be set to non 48kHz values when enrolled into DDM SMPTE/AES67 domain (and device is set with sample rate change on reboot)
DEF-196: DDM interop: Device fails to initialise when RTP destination address prefix is set to 0
SAG-237/EM-2983: Device becomes hidden in Dante Controller if rebooted soon after un-enroll from DDM
ETS-2550/SAG-1078/SAG-1149: Device fails to re-subscribe AES67 flows
ETS-1974/EM-2981: Device name changes to canonical name on boot

See Getting Started with Dante Development for Dante API release notes.

Known Issues
DEF-122: PTP loops can occur for redundant PTPv2 devices if a third party Grand Leader clock goes offline
HD-20: Devices can spontaneously disable AES67/RTP shortly after enrolment in an AES67 DDM domain. Workaround: Reboot the device after enrolling in an AES67 DDM domain
SD-27: Devices observed to disappear from the network after several months of continual uptime
SAG-764: Devices connected via 100Mbps switch silently fail to create SMPTE B and SMPTE C multicast flows in SMPTE-enabled domains
MIL-5201: RTP Multicast prefix is not cleared on un-enrolling with clear config from the DDM. Clear the configuration on the device after un-enrolling to fix.
MIL-5280: Changing an incorrect RTP multicast address prefix on a device does not fix existing RTP Rx flows. Modify or recreate these Rx flows to fix.
GaryH

Post by GaryH »

@pmaillot Thx Patrick!...it's a lot of stuff! I wonder what that means for other makers cards? Shouldn't matter too much as I flashed my Kevic internal with the Wing internal firmware file (old) and it now reports itself to be a Behringer device anyway (no one would be the wiser) so I would have to assume it would have suffered from the same listed issues. However, none of those issues I saw, or was aware of anyway. Have not spent any time with my Wing of late. Band finalizing new release! Started pre pandemic, mastering now.
curtbl

Post by curtbl »

@pmaillot @GaryH Patrick thanks for the information, haven't even had time to look at the files I downloaded to determine which is the one for internal and external card. Will try to do it this weekend as well. Gary if I had to guess this is only DANTE compatibility updates for Behringer.... I should have looked to see if the X32 cards had updates too. But looking at the list it appears most of these are operational upgrades or updates to deal with the Dante network features that they didn't initially deal with ether at all or correctly, Dante has a spec to follow when manufactures develops their own firmware for the Brooklyn II card, things like unplugging one link, failing to resubcribe to AES67 etc....... Anyway, not to worried about updating when I figure which one is correct. Worst case I go back to what we have now... Just checked my Dante controller and I see that it shows the newest files with the same number that was released on the Behringer site. We will see!
curtbl

Post by curtbl »

@pmaillot @GaryH So, actually went ahead and flashed the Dante card in the Wing.
What got me going was seeing the update in Dante Controller..... Connected the Wing and brought up Dante Controller and the Controller showed that the Wing had a update for the Dante Card. It correctly identified the card, which is the Kevic, and I ran the update expecting to have to do something to get things running again and NO not anything had to be done except reboot, which was suggested by Dante Controller update. Ran the system as usual and the Dante card operated just as expected. The only immediate thing I noticed was I can now set the IP address of the Dante Card where as before only DHCP was available. And I want to experiment with that since the dante card has the same address as the Wing it's self. Not sure it matters but in all my other locations where I have a console and dante card they are different ip addresses.
GaryH

Post by GaryH »

@curtbl Thanks for the update! This is what I would have expected to see if all was as it should be. I still have not fired up my complete network with the Wing included but obviously the files are there at Audinate to get the update response you did. I did however get an update to Dante Controller itself yesterday. Anyway this all sounds like great news.
pmaillot

Post by pmaillot »

Hello,

Finally got my hands on the WING again for a few weeks...

Dante updated using the Dante updater. No issues at all, Dante module recognized with update needed, update done and rescan OK too... Now up to date with 4.2.3.13...

Below the "before/during/after" situations :)

-Patrick

Return to “Dante Audio Networking”