How to flash Dante firmware files for the Wing using Dante Controller

Everything to do with the Dante Audio Networking aspect of the digital eco-system
GaryH

Re: How to flash Dante firmware files for the Wing using Dante Controller

Post by GaryH »

@Mixing Lane I'm not totally sure if I understand your full process. You do need to be connected to the internet to get the manufacturers specific files downloaded to DC but afaik once in the DC library, being online is not required. iirc, I got all my files from the audinate website using dante controller and did not use the Behringer Wing downloaded files. It's been a bit since I did all this to be honest. I'll look back at my original post and see if I can shed any more light. It sounds like you had success regardless so that is good!

EDIT: Here is a link to my original post, just for the purpose of seeing the Dante Controller screenshot pics not included in this thread

https://behringer.world/viewtopic.php?t=252&start=20
GaryH

Post by GaryH »

UPDATED INFO REGARDING BROOKLYN 3 CARDS: The newest Wing Dante Expansion card now apparently comes with a Brooklyn 3 card and will NOT work with Brooklyn 2 firmware files! As of this date 090623 the latest Behringer Dante firmware files for Brooklyn 3 cards are NOT posted anywhere including the Audinate manufacturers library. I am assuming they will be at some future point in time. So the following relates to the older Brooklyn 2 cards and flashing of Brooklyn 2 cards only. Once those files are available the process should be the same for either Brooklyn 2 or 3.

So after nearly 2 years since last updating this thread, and with MANY more people in the world of Wing doing this in some form or fashion AND many taking the risk to install their cards in the Wing themselves, I needed to do a few more corrections and updates. So here is the most recent version. Some wording from the original may be altered as well to hopefully improve clarity. Otherwise it is essentially the same.

I believe this to be 100% accurate to the best of my knowledge. The user however bears FULL responsibility for any problems that may occur. So be forewarned. There are risks involved and the cards are all expensive and COULD be damaged in the process. It is unlikely but possible. This was meant for flashing a Wing related 64 ch Dante Card but really applies to any Dante Card in your system. This assumes you have a functioning Dante network and all Dante devices used in the system are recognized by Dante Controller. The computer used needs to have internet access! Not all Brooklyn II 64 ch cards will work directly. This due to the manufacturer using a proprietary firmware update program of their own (Yamaha being one of these) That said there are work arounds that allow flashing these to the Wing firmware that are now known to us.

I had not originally mentioned about having access to the web for this process but that is required. Sorry to those who were confused. It only means that the computer used for the updates and flashing has to have access the the internet and your Dante network both. This so as to be able to obtain the manufacturers firmware files and to monitor for firmware version updates for any Dante device you use in your Dante network.

*It's important to note there are 2 “import” related firmware sections in Dante Updater. One is in the LIBRARY section and one in the HOME section. This is VERY confusing and very easily missed! Just one word difference exists between the 2 sections which otherwise look identical in label and color. The Library section says “Imported Files” and the Home section says “Imported Firmware Files” Both of these sections have different and important functions in the process. Onward.

Flashing the firmware for Wing related Dante cards using the latest Dante Controller program:

Both the internal AOIP Dante 64x64 and external Wing-Dante64 files can now be directly downloaded from the Wing product/software page. I got mine originally through the Audinate library section of the Updater. They are there and on the Behringer site.

1) In the latest Dante Controller program open the Dante Updater. It's the little icon that resembles a water drop with a dot inside it. You need to enable the advanced settings once you are in the Dante Updater to allow importing firmware files and allow flashing with different manufacturers firmware files. Also to allow “rollback” in the event you change your mind. You can find these options in the "Advanced Settings" in the top right drop down menu of Dante Updater.

2) Go to the LIBRARY section and type in “Behringer” (or whatever manufacturer) and you will see a list of appropriate firmware files to download. Three files are now currently available from Behringer itself. One for X-Dante and two for the Wing, one internal and one external. Download the firmware files desired.

3) The need for this next step may seem a bit confusing BUT is required. After downloading the firmware you need to import them back into the Dante Updater section.

You (used to) have to find exactly where the files are located on your computer. Good to know anyway.

On my Windows 11 machine (win10 also) they end up here:

\users\AppData\Local\DanteUpdater\User Data\Default\dnt_cache"

**Make sure you allow viewing of ‘hidden’ files in a Windows computer or you will never find the AppData folder! It is a system file hidden by default.

On a Mac they are here:

/users/{username}/Library/Application Support/Dante Updater/Default/dnt_cache

*** In the newer and latest Dante Controller versions (at least in the latest one for a Mac) There is now a new column for the Audinate Library called 'Copy to Local" This makes the above locating the files process unnecessary and is MUCH better and easier. It places the downloaded files in the Library/imported files area and they are available to import (BIG improvement from a few years ago!

4) Once you find where your files are located on your computer, go to the LIIBRARY section “Imported Files" area. Here you can import (upload) the firmware files that you downloaded. Import any firmware files that you may need.

You will also see a list of files that you have already imported in this section if you had any. All your imported files will be there in the future unless you uninstall DC at some point.

5) Now go to the HOME tab and open the “Imported Firmware Files” section there. It will list all the Dante devices found in your Dante network. There is a little arrow next to each device that points to the right. Click on that arrow and it will then point downward and you will see a list of firmware files compatible with the specific card selected. Choose your file and follow the process. It will install the selected firmware file to the device! Once you have flashed your device you can also do a "roll back" which allows you to essentially undo the whole process.

*Related photos of the various key screens are in the original thread here

EDIT: Thes older pics in the above link are just for reference, with some of the newest screen sections (as noted above) being different.

EDIT: I had numbered the steps wrong, sorry I had two 2's so now it is fixed there are 5 steps!

Last edited by GaryH on Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:44 am, edited 4 times in total.
pmaillot

Post by pmaillot »

Thanks Gary!
MJKlein
Site Admin

Post by MJKlein »

Very useful Gary, thanks!
湖口鄉新竹縣台灣 Hukou Township, Hsinchu County, Taiwan
Behringer X32/Dante + Soundcraft Ghost + X32ReaperAutoMate
English/中文
This site is hosted at Dathorn: https://dathorn.com/index.php?r=489
https://www.youtube.com/@phoenixmediaforge
GaryH

Post by GaryH »

Latest info as of 090723

UPDATED INFO REGARDING BROOKLYN 3 CARDS: The newest Wing Dante Expansion card now apparently comes with a Brooklyn 3 card and will NOT work with Brooklyn 2 firmware files! As of this date the latest Behringer Dante firmware files for Brooklyn 3 cards are NOT posted anywhere including the Audinate manufacturers library. I am assuming they will be at some future point in time. So the following relates to the older Brooklyn 2 cards and flashing of Brooklyn 2 cards only. Once those files are available the process should be the same for either Brooklyn 2 or 3.

So after nearly 2 years since last updating this thread, and with MANY more people in the world of Wing doing this in some form or fashion AND many taking the risk to install their cards in the Wing themselves, I seems I needed to do a few more corrections and updates. So here is the most recent version. Some wording from the original may be altered as well to hopefully improve clarity. Otherwise it is essentially the same.

I believe this to be 100% accurate to the best of my knowledge. The user however bears FULL responsibility for any problems that may occur. So be forewarned. There are risks involved and the cards are all expensive and COULD be damaged in the process. It is unlikely but possible. This was meant for flashing a Wing related 64 ch Dante Card but really applies to any Dante Card in your system. This assumes you have a functioning Dante network and all Dante devices used in the system are recognized by Dante Controller. The computer used needs to have internet access! Not all Brooklyn II 64 ch cards will work directly. This due to the manufacturer using a proprietary firmware update program of their own (Yamaha being one of these) That said there are work arounds that allow flashing these to the Wing firmware that are now known to us.

I had not originally mentioned about having access to the web for this process but that is required. Sorry to those who were confused. It only means that the computer used for the updates and flashing has to have access the the internet and your Dante network both. This so as to be able to obtain the manufacturers firmware files and to monitor for firmware version updates for any Dante device you now use in your Dante network.

It's important to note there are 2 “import” related firmware sections in Dante Updater. One is in the LIBRARY section and one in the HOME section. This can be VERY confusing and very easily missed! Just one word difference exists between the 2 sections which otherwise look identical in label and color. The Library section says “Imported Files” and the Home section says “Imported Firmware Files” Both of these sections have different and important functions in the process.

Flashing the firmware for Wing related Dante cards using the latest Dante Controller program:

Both the internal AOIP Dante 64x64 and external Wing-Dante64 files can now be directly downloaded from the Wing product/software page. I got mine originally through the Audinate library section of the Updater. They are there AND on the Behringer site.

1) In the latest Dante Controller program open the Dante Updater. It's the little icon that resembles a water drop with a dot inside it. You need to enable the advanced settings once you are in the Dante Updater to allow importing firmware files and allow flashing with different manufacturers firmware files. Also to allow “rollback” in the event you change your mind. You can find these options in the "Advanced Settings" in the top right drop down menu of Dante Updater.

2) Go to the LIBRARY section and type in “Behringer” (or whatever manufacturer) and you will see a list of appropriate firmware files to download. Three files are now currently available from Behringer itself. One for X-Dante and two for the Wing, one internal and one external. Download the firmware files desired.

3) The need for this next step may seem a bit confusing BUT is required. After downloading the firmware you now need to import them back into the Dante Updater section.

In the past you had to find exactly where the files were located on your computer. This is good to know anyway so..

On my Windows 11 machine (Windows 10 also) they end up here:

\users\AppData\Local\DanteUpdater\User Data\Default\dnt_cache"

**Make sure you allow viewing of ‘hidden’ files in a Windows computer or you will never find the AppData folder! It is a system file hidden by default.

On a Mac they are here:

/users/{username}/Library/Application Support/Dante Updater/Default/dnt_cache

In the newer and latest Dante Controller versions there is now a new column for the Audinate Library section called 'Copy to Local" This makes the above locating files process unnecessary and is MUCH better and easier. It places the downloaded files in the Library/imported files area and they are then available to import (BIG improvement from a few years ago)

4) Still in the LIIBRARY section “Imported Files" area. Here you import (upload) the firmware files that you just downloaded. Import any firmware files that you may need. You will also see a list of files that you have already imported in this section if you had any. All your imported files will be there in the future unless you uninstall DC at some point.

5) Now go to the HOME tab and open the “Imported Firmware Files” section there. It will list all the Dante devices found in your Dante network. There is a little arrow next to each device that points to the right. Click on that arrow and it will then point downward and you will see a list of firmware files compatible with the specific card selected. Choose your file and follow the process. It will install the selected firmware file to the device! Once you have flashed your device you can also do a "roll back" which allows you to essentially undo the whole process.
MJKlein
Site Admin

Post by MJKlein »

What does a Brooklyn 3 card do that a Brooklyn 2 card doesn't? Should we be boarding Brooklyn 2 cards?
English/中文
GaryH

Post by GaryH »

@MJKlein I don’t think it does anything different. It was developed in response to the chip shortage during and after the pandemic. We just need access to the firmware files it uses and Behringer has not posted them anywhere…yet. With the firmware, once available, it should be no different than the way things are now. If Brooklyn 2 then certain files, if Brooklyn 3 then the ones that it requires. The process shouldn’t change nor what it does.
MJKlein
Site Admin

Post by MJKlein »

OK, thanks Gary @GaryH. We all do appreciate your taking time out from being a world-famous rockstar to keep this thread updated, hehe. Seriously, you've made a huge contribution to the entire Dante community!
English/中文
GaryH

Post by GaryH »

THX @MJKlein ..it's a tough life (at 75) fending off beautiful young groupies and managing the intense heat of the spotlight whilst maintaining these intricate Dante subscriptions.....BUT somebody has to do it! :-)
mrdrennan

Post by mrdrennan »

Hello @GaryH ,

Reviving this thread because I'm having a heck of a time installing my Dante Wing expansion card internally in the board. I did it successfully with a 32 channel X-Dante, but now I wanted to move my external card to the internal slot so that I can continue to use the Card Recorder. The Dante card will show up in Dante Controller, but it is not recognized by the Wing in the routing page or the setup page. This is the currently installed firmware. I tried downloading the most recent Wing Dante firmware files from the website and importing them into the dnt_cache folder. They do not show up as being available to upgrade inside of Dante Updater (I guess because mine is a Brooklyn II card and those files appear to be for Brooklyn 3?). Can you point me in the direction of the correct firmware file?

Return to “Dante Audio Networking”