Alternate POE devices for DP48

DP48, Hub4 mixing eco-system
GaryH

Alternate POE devices for DP48

Post by GaryH »

DP48 POE power supplies and injectors summary updated 041621

Link for for some background info on power ranges (and much more).

https://pinoutguide.com/Net/poe_pinout.shtml

Original MT forum post link

https://community.musictribe.com/discus ... ors-update

I tried to simplify everything below from my original post from May/Aug 2020

Update Jan 2021

Device 1

For use with inexpensive power/data splitters like:

Device 2

These will work with a DP48 by using the powered device (1) for the power source for the injector. These are VERY handy because they are compact and they plug into any outlet directly. Connect the power out section to the injector device (2) then connect your aes50 data cable to the injector, POE out port from the injector can now power the dp48, data cable from elsewhere (like a mixer aes50 port or second DP48 thru port) provides the data. Adding more DP48's up to Ia fairly high number (guessing 7+ like the P16's but I am not 100% sure of just how many exactly) You would need one of each for each DP48 line.

Device 3

Works perfectly fine for both power and data, best used for a single DP48

Device 4

**The “switch” part WILL NOT WORK for DP48’s, the power supply that comes with it WILL work as a power source for other injectors that do work.

Worth considering IMO for the power supply part ONLY. The price is fair enough just to use for power and store the other pieces for another day or use for other network applications besides aes50. Again the other parts DO NOT work for DP48’s. I originally was going to return it but kept it just for the power supply part itself.

*** POE SWITCHES do not work AT ALL for passing AES50 data*** (thanks to Rex Beckett for confirming this)

Passive Injectors:

Device 4

It's a small passive device and works perfectly with the correct power supply, (wide ranges supported!) it comes without any power supply but works with the ones mentioned above or similar. *These will also work with a 12V power supply for P16M’s

There are several other injector choices out there (and splitters) that supply power using 10/100 (no data on pins 4,5, 7 or 8) which will work for Ultranet (P16) devices ok but NOT DP48's. Important note for P16M: ONLY use a 12V dc power supply for P16 use!!! P16 is in one directional only. The ultranet appears to apply to only pins 1,2,3 and 6 OR it at least does NOT use pin 4,5,7 and 8 for P16 data.

Best POWER adaptor imo:

Device 5

EDIT: this is now out of stock, the one below (same maker) is better, has more power and is cheaper!

My injector of choice, 8 port:

Device 6

Summary: You need a power supply that provides at least 48v dc. The Midas Hub sends 52V. I suspect a range of 48-60v is fine. 48v worked for me as did 60, 54 and 51v. The injector needs to be Mode B (positive power to pins 4 and 5, negative power to pins 7 and 8) and passive. Use the 802.3at spec (capable of providing higher power). For AES50 the injector needs to have all pairs "in" connected to all pairs "out" such that both data AND power are shared on pins 4,5,7 and 8.

AES50 and DP48's need all 4 twisted wire pairs connected in to the identical 4 pairs out to work properly, this so data can pass in both directions (48x48) providing AES50 “sync”

POE network switches DO NOT work, you need passive injectors.

Thanks also to Josh Gibson for the following 2 additional choices!

Device 7

Device 8

Device 9 (new as of Feb 2021)

(Cudy models 150, 200 and 300 ALL work to pass both power and data for aes50 applications.) These are better suited for single DP48 use.

This info is correct to the best of my knowledge, although anyone who chooses to use any of it should do so completely at their own risk. Correctly described and explained or not, the above devices worked or did not work for me as stated. All of which (except Device 8) I own or did own briefly to test. I originally used these because the Hub4 was not available in the US for nearly a year. I now own a Hub as well.
andyp13

Re: Alternate POE devices for DP48

Post by andyp13 »

I purchased device 3 over here in the U.K. seems to work fine, just not comfortable with the DP48 itself at the moment seems overly complicated to be using live...and the fact that you have to theP16 channels coming through on the last 16 chans as well as the first 16 giving you double of everything just adds even more confusion. And then having to re-rout the X32-Mix to be able to hear the virtual feedback (minus the last 16 p16 channels?)..... :cry:
GaryH

Post by GaryH »

Hi Andy, couple of things, if using a Wing run the DP48 off its own dedicated port (maybe C), then you don't need aes50 33-48 for p16 use, you can use them for whatever you want. Use the ultranet port from your DL/S16/32 stagebox for p16M's which is controlled by the aes50 output routing from that port (A port maybe)...or better yet if you still use an X32 in your setup, use its physical ultranet port which is controlled by the ultranet out routing menu which is independent of aes50 33-48.
andyp13

Post by andyp13 »

GaryH wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:53 pm Hi Andy, couple of things, if using a Wing run the DP48 off its own dedicated port (maybe C), then you don't need aes50 33-48 for p16 use, you can use them for whatever you want. Use the ultranet port from your DL/S16/32 stagebox for p16M's which is controlled by the aes50 output routing from that port (A port maybe)...or better yet if you still use an X32 in your setup, use its physical ultranet port which is controlled by the ultranet out routing menu which is independent of aes50 33-48.
Hi Garyh
I don’t use the Wing live, I use an X32 rack for live work, I bought the DP48 as I thought it would give me more flexibility and I liked the idea of the reverb etc etc... I don’t understand what you mean by use it’s physical ultranet port? It has to use the AES50 connections as it doesn’t work with ultranet (unfortunately). I tried (as someone suggested) using the drums from the chans 33-48 as they are the ultranet sounds and are post eq so they will give a better sound that they would using the AES50 sounds.... but that causes a major issue on playing back the Virtual soundcheck as when I re-rout the X32-Mix to enable playback I lose anything that was from ultranet...if I don’t re-rout (so the guys on P16 can sort out their mix) I lose everything accept the drums as they were via the Ultranet... it really is a nightmare. And an expensive waste of money ☹️
GaryH

Post by GaryH »

Andy, I thought you used both the x32 and Wing together, sorry. So how do you connect to the DP48? Do you have free ports from the Rack? I meant that the Ultranet port on the Rack is directed by the Racks Ultranet out menu NOT aes50 out, so use the physical Ultranet port on the rack for the P16ms. That way you can set whichever aes50a port you want to use, A or B on the rack for your DP48 and rout aes50 for whatever you want, including aes50 33-48. By default p16 is routed to aes50 33-48 but those ch’s can be freely changed to something else besides p16. The port you choose for your DP48, the entire 48 ch’s of aes50 that are associated with it can be set just for its use without regard for your p16m’s, they are controlled by the Ultranet out menu.
andyp13

Post by andyp13 »

GaryH wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:02 pm Andy, I thought you used both the x32 and Wing together, sorry. So how do you connect to the DP48? Do you have free ports from the Rack? I meant that the Ultranet port on the Rack is directed by the Racks Ultranet out menu NOT aes50 out, so use the physical Ultranet port on the rack for the P16ms. That way you can set whichever aes50a port you want to use, A or B on the rack for your DP48 and rout aes50 for whatever you want, including aes50 33-48. By default p16 is routed to aes50 33-48 but those ch’s can be freely changed to something else besides p16. The port you choose for your DP48, the entire 48 ch’s of aes50 that are associated with it can be set just for its use without regard for your p16m’s, they are controlled by the Ultranet out menu.
Hi.
I use the Wing in my studio only. Love the X32-Mix rack for live work... I don’t like the idea of having to re-rout on the X32 to play back a virtual soundcheck in the DP48 and then have to re-rout back to use it for live..particularly when levels etc are completely different? - yet for the P16’s no routing required a pad levels don’t change on playback 🤷‍♂️. I think I may bin the DP48 as it’s just not doing what it was supposed to do, it’s just totally complicated everything, the last thing I want to be doing on a gig is having to rout and re-rout etc etc...☹️
GaryH

Post by GaryH »

I don't see why you have to reroute anything. I guess they are not for everyone though. If you have your own dedicated aes50 port and thus an entire aes50 out routing menu just for your DP48, what you do on it should not effect the P16 users at all. You have the latest firmware on it?
tonysunshine

Post by tonysunshine »

wanted to share that I've been using these "DSLRKIT" POE injectors with the a chain of 6x Midas DP48s for a few weeks regularly and the injectors have been working great. Really cleaned up the cabling because of the low profile.

GaryH

Post by GaryH »

@tonysunshine Thanks for this! Another source for the DP48. The link is not working for some reason so I just searched it on Amazon.However there are several choices so I'm not sure which one exactly you used? I see all my old links are doing the same thing-could be Amazon or the forum? Could be a Mac thing too. I will check on my PC later. Same on the PC, links to Amazon don't seem to work...
pvannatto

Post by pvannatto »

@GaryH and @tonysunshine, we are working on trying to figure out what went wrong and how to fix the URL links. Stay tuned.
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator

Return to “DP48 Mixers”