Repair Histories

Various tips for out of warranty equipment repairs
soundresource

Repair Histories

Post by soundresource »

There are 12+ X/M's in my sphere. Ages range from absolute first generation to NIB. Repairs thus far have been 1 screen replacement on a 2yr old Compact, a handful of XLRF replacements because of broken locking tabs, and an Aux card replacement on a full size X32. The Aux card went south because of a factory mis-loomed left headphone cable inside the console was pinched against a metal edge. Enough leans-on-console eventually shorted the amplified headphone signal, sending unwanted audio voltage to chassis -grounded TRS of Aux panel. (I imagine. I'm not a tech) I gambled on a new Aux board swap & returned console to 100%.

The biggest fear I have is PSU failure. (A holdover from 1980's Soundcraft experiences). Thus far, with thousands (tens of thousands?) of hours on these consoles, I have yet to hear on any.

What is your experience?
MJKlein
Site Admin

Re: Repair Histories

Post by MJKlein »

This is going to be a great resource. Thank you for suggesting this forum.
湖口鄉新竹縣台灣 Hukou Township, Hsinchu County, Taiwan
Behringer X32/Dante + Soundcraft Ghost + X32ReaperAutoMate
English/中文
This site is hosted at Dathorn: https://dathorn.com/index.php?r=489
https://www.youtube.com/@phoenixmediaforge
CraigG

Post by CraigG »

I would imagine that any PSU failure would be the usual electrolytic cap failures that affect many switch mode power supplies.
It would be a cheap fix if we can identify which ones are the usual suspects.

If someone had a failed one they'd be willing to send me then I'd take a look.

Craig
Last edited by CraigG on Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
soundresource

Post by soundresource »

I see lots of bellyaching about MT being uninterested in servicing out-of-warranty desks. Except faders and cosmetics, these desks are built from alot of off-the-shelf generic components (screen assemblies, for instance). Third-worlders know how to keep things running. Have westerners forgotten how to fix stuff?
GaryH

Post by GaryH »

I'm not so sure they are not interested. Money is money and they like that as much as anyone in business. The bigger issue is the supply chain imo and this has effected everyone. Besides that they refer anyone out of warranty to certified service centers who are hindered by the same supply issues. As far as Westerners go I kind of agree. We have become a throw away society. I have found myself there. Between shipping costs labor to repair and parts themselves it can get VERY expensive very quickly...and these days TIME to make the turnaround can be critical. Some enterprising person might make a small fortune if there were a list of swappable parts and a place to buy them.
soundresource

Post by soundresource »

I found a couple YouTube videos of power supply repairs. (Will link shortly). Viewers of this site are probably DIY-ers or damn close. So many "electronic" failures are very basic and present well to a mechanical mind.

Return to “Out of Warranty Repair Tips”