Daisy Chaining and Cables.

CraigG

Daisy Chaining and Cables.

Post by CraigG »

I currently use an X32 FOH and an S32 on the side of the stage but this does involve some long cable runs on stage.
I'm considering adding an SD8 to use at the front of stage to handle the singers, monitors and mains and putting the S32 near the drumkit to handle all the backline and their monitors.

When I made my snake cable I used 100m of shielded rugged cat6a correctly terminated in Ethercons and found that it didn't work, so I cut it down to 75m and it has been perfect ever since.

Now if that cable was run to the SD8 at the front of stage then I would need another 25m cable to daisy chain to the S32 so the question is, does the SD8 regenerate the AES50 signal or would I run into cable length issues?

I could always take the snake to the S32 first if that would make any difference?

Thanks
Craig
pvannatto

Re: Daisy Chaining and Cables.

Post by pvannatto »

Hi @CraigG , welcome to the forum. Yes all stage boxes act as repeaters. One of the events I do every year (before the pandemic) is a marathon finish line which requires 750' of speakers. I use a combination of X32 Racks, SD8 and SD16 all connected using shielded cat6 (with ethercons) and it works marvellously.
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator
CraigG

Post by CraigG »

Thanks Paul that's good to know,
Doing it that way would save me running a 4x4 box front of stage, an 8 core drum reel and long cables to one of the mains and the guitarist.

If I go SD8 first then I presume my inputs will appear as SD8 AES50A 1-8 and S32 on AES50A 9-40?

Craig
pvannatto

Post by pvannatto »

Yes that is correct @CraigG. I typically strategically place an SD16 near the drums (for drums and backline), an SD8 at stage left (front) and another SD8 at stage right (front). This greatly reduces the cable spaghetti.
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator
CraigG

Post by CraigG »

Thanks Paul,
I'll look into getting hold of one.

Craig
CraigG

Post by CraigG »

I've ordered one from Thomann but they're not in until the end of the month.
Here's hoping.

Craig
CraigG

Post by CraigG »

So Thomann delivered early :-)

I've managed to set everything up to get all my ins and outs where I want them (I don't think I could have done that before User patching).
And now i've got it all playing background music over the cables I'd use at a gig and all seems stable.

Thanks for the help.
Craig
CraigG

Post by CraigG »

I did my first show with this setup at the weekend.
Setup was much easier and it worked a treat.

Thanks for the advice.
Craig
pvannatto

Post by pvannatto »

Good to hear @CraigG that it worked for you as well as it does for me.
Paul Vannatto
Global Moderator
Berk1000

Post by Berk1000 »

Hi Paul. Not seeing an answer to this online and before I guess hope you can answer it.

Regarding daisy chaining stage boxes: I have a DL32 (on stage), outputting on AES50A connected to a 2nd DL32 (stage left) input A. AES50B from that DL32 to a Midas M32 on AES50A…

Does the first DL32 box (on stage) appear on the M32 AES50A 1-32 and the first 16 channels of the 2nd box (stage left) come up on M32 AES50A 33-48?

Thanks!

Return to “Stageboxes”